• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Black Bay 58

shamanblues999

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/4/18
So what's the consensus here from the people who received theirs?
Worth it? or does the lume/tube issue ruin the experience?

Well, there are 500 comments on this thread. I’ve read all of them and recommend those interested in buying this rep to do the same. Great discussions and pics. It’s a very personal decision. Some rather wait for V2 but might be a long time and some will accept the flaws and go for it. I’m with the latter. Just ordered mine and waiting for QC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kebaben1233

18/8/16
Well, there are 500 comments on this thread. I’ve read all of them and recommend those interested in buying this rep to do the same. Great discussions and pics. It’s a very personal decision. Some rather wait for V2 but might be a long time and some will accept the flaws and go for it. I’m with the latter. Just ordered mine and waiting for QC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the feedback!
It does look fairly good i have to admit, might just go for it and live withe flaws.

fuzzmex

2/9/17
Keep in mind that we like to blow these things out of proportion sometimes, here in the forum.
​​​​​​In real life this rep will look great I'm sure.

Automotiveromance

Known Member
8/3/18
I’ve just ordered one, currently waiting for QC. The flaws mentioned and shown in this thread don’t appear that extreme to me. In the worst case I’ll shorten the crown tube a bit and/or have it relumed. Though on many pictures of gens I’ve looked at, the lume on the hands seems yellowish compared to the indices. I think that might in part be because the gilt surrounds on the hands are fatter than the surrounds on the indices, making the lume appear yellowish.

When I receive it and have it on wrist, I’ll post some pics in here and give my opinion.

Drr80

Renowned Member
12/2/18
El paso, TX
Im still waiting for mine to ship :( 8 to 12 weeks. I went with the original version from the tudor factory :p its very gen like

Reactions: jpchub

TheGarethJones

Known Member
4/4/18
I’ve just ordered one, currently waiting for QC. The flaws mentioned and shown in this thread don’t appear that extreme to me. In the worst case I’ll shorten the crown tube a bit and/or have it relumed. Though on many pictures of gens I’ve looked at, the lume on the hands seems yellowish compared to the indices. I think that might in part be because the gilt surrounds on the hands are fatter than the surrounds on the indices, making the lume appear yellowish.

When I receive it and have it on wrist, I’ll post some pics in here and give my opinion.

I was actually noticing this yesterday. I was looking at the Gen version and I realized that I was seeing the same lume differences in those pictures that everyone was talking about here, as well. I think it may be a super interesting case of the Mandela effect on these boards.

Sent from the RWI App

Brummer2012

Horology Curious
2/11/18
It seems that they got rid of the wrong lume
(unfortunately, the markers/the second-markers-paint on the dial is still really wonky)

Here's the rest of my QC pics if anybody cares https://imgur.com/a/GjRj0VG

VvJIAQ.md.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: jpchub

Kup55

4/2/19
It seems that they got rid of the wrong lume
(unfortunately, the markers/the second-markers-paint on the dial is still really wonky)

Here's the rest of my QC pics if anybody cares https://imgur.com/a/GjRj0VG

VvJIAQ.md.jpg
Nice this is tempting I'm so close in pulling the trigger here the waiting list for the Gen is too long one Ad told me 2 years damn! Those second markers looks ok to me only obvious one is still the crown..

michi_werner

Known Member
21/8/18
I seriously can’t see any lume difference anymore. Only other issue would be the long tube to me, will have to think about that again...

the second-markers and the rest of the issues are really unnoticeable to me, so I personally wouldn’t care

grohlface

Horology Curious
14/7/18
I posted earlier, but I will say it again. It was very clear to me when I got mine that the so-called "lume difference" is an optical illusion. It has to do with the ratio of lume to gold- on the hands the strip of lume is thinner than on the hour markers, so it appears more "yellow" even though it isn't. As for the longer tube, it can seem much longer in side-to-side pictures, but in real life, on the wrist, it is not noticeable. A Tudor dealer would be able to notice the difference, but the average person isn't going to see it.

Reactions: Brummer2012

carbonized

Horology Curious
27/3/19
I posted earlier, but I will say it again. It was very clear to me when I got mine that the so-called "lume difference" is an optical illusion. It has to do with the ratio of lume to gold- on the hands the strip of lume is thinner than on the hour markers, so it appears more "yellow" even though it isn't. As for the longer tube, it can seem much longer in side-to-side pictures, but in real life, on the wrist, it is not noticeable. A Tudor dealer would be able to notice the difference, but the average person isn't going to see it.

I thought you were right on this but sadly not. I took my QC pics (Pure time) Trimmed out in lume the top marker and the hands of multiple Gens and my QC pics and put them next to each other to compare and they are definitely different in mine at least. I'm hoping it's the intense lights and the lume changing the look so will be less noticeable.

If it's that bad i'll relume them and going to look into shortening the crown tube too. I'm not sure i care enough to ... but i like a project! Good to join at last, I've been lurking for a while.

fuzzmex

2/9/17
I thought you were right on this but sadly not. I took my QC pics (Pure time) Trimmed out in lume the top marker and the hands of multiple Gens and my QC pics and put them next to each other to compare and they are definitely different in mine at least. I'm hoping it's the intense lights and the lume changing the look so will be less noticeable.

If it's that bad i'll relume them and going to look into shortening the crown tube too. I'm not sure i care enough to ... but i like a project! Good to join at last, I've been lurking for a while.
Welcome! Pull up a chair.

Reactions: Brummer2012

thrillofhunt

Put Some Respect On My Name
Gold Patron
Certified
8/2/11
Anyone who bought recently has qc pics to share? Interedted to know if they fixed the lume issue. Mine came with the lume issue and although im not bothered by it, it was quite obvious to my eyes.