• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pelagos V6F V4 - What's new?

nine

Known Member
17/9/13
Ignore my previous post...Imtime and Puretime both have the Miyota in blue. But I am confused. Intime shows XF V3 Miyota for $358, Puretime shows V6F V4 Miyota for $338. I thought XF and V6F are one and the same. Are these the same watch???

they are same watch,
sometime price different, maybe service different, QC , time dujest,anti water text. I think these two TD is OK to order.

Reactions: ellist1234

Cur

Horology Curious
8/9/11
Ive got one with the Miyota. I would have to make the following observations. Yes the rotor is loud, and needs lubricating then its ok. It keeps good time, i regulated it and it is consistently -7 at the moment. As previously pointed out there is no fine adjustment. In my opinion though by the time they have added the decorative plates to it there is a possibility of contaminating the movement. As its closed back who cares. The lume on mine is great and on the dial and bezel. My datewheel is good and one marker is a tiny bit out if you look at a photo and zoom right in but isnt noticable without a loup.

Is lubricating the rotor something a novice could do? If so, could you recommend an oil to use, and maybe a simple guide to do it? Thank you

ellist1234

Known Member
21/1/15
Uk
Is lubricating the rotor something a novice could do? If so, could you recommend an oil to use, and maybe a simple guide to do it? Thank you

if you google noisy miyota 9015 there are quite a few guides. Theres at least one on here from Nivka which was good. The only other thing to know is there is a plug in the centre the pushes in that needs to be removed to expose the three screws that hold the rotor in. Before it was done you could often hear the rotor freespin when driving from reasonably small movements of the wrist. Now nothing. I was worried it wasnt winding at all.

Reactions: Sunsurfer and Cur

ellist1234

Known Member
21/1/15
Uk
Two things. One the centre plug has a thread. I unscrewed it to get it out but thought it was a push fit but it is threaded. It needs to be put back after oiling and replacing the rotor as it seems the rotor wobbles slightly without it. Secondly I just had the water resistance checked and it passed at 100m which is as high as the machine tested.

Yknjs

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
6/3/18
Anyone heard something about the same movement upgrade for the LHD?

Yknjs

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
6/3/18
This one will be my next catch... really a super rep!

Colt Seavers

Known Member
14/5/17
The v4 is great. But it does need the rotor oiled or it will drive you mad.

I bought a catch-and-release V6F Pelagos in the sales section the other month. I was told it was a V3 with the a2824. Turns out, it's actually a V4 with the Miyota with the decorative plates.

The Miyota is loud and has that free spinning sound. So much so, that I thought something must be loose or broken inside. Turns out, it's not broken. Shocker. I guess that's how the Miyota sounds once they put those decorative plates on them?

The professional watchmaker (a guy authorized over at RWG) who looked at it never mentioned oiling it. So I guess I have a choice: 1) the seller takes it back and gives me a refund because I thought I was buying the a2824 2) I sell it to someone who knows how to quiet a Miyota after giving fair warning or 3) oil it.

I'd probably want to find a "pro" to do it because at this point I'm into this watch for a decent amount of money, so might as well do everything first class and not end up breaking it.

If it's possible to qualify, by what percentage did yours quiet down after it got oiled? Like, is it 75% better? 99% better? Just trying to figure out how to approach this whole thing at this point.

I would advise anyone NOT to get the V6F V4, for this very reason. [h=2][/h]

Reactions: buddy168

ellist1234

Known Member
21/1/15
Uk
I bought a catch-and-release V6F Pelagos in the sales section the other month. I was told it was a V3 with the a2824. Turns out, it's actually a V4 with the Miyota with the decorative plates.

The Miyota is loud and has that free spinning sound. So much so, that I thought something must be loose or broken inside. Turns out, it's not broken. Shocker. I guess that's how the Miyota sounds once they put those decorative plates on them?

The professional watchmaker (a guy authorized over at RWG) who looked at it never mentioned oiling it. So I guess I have a choice: 1) the seller takes it back and gives me a refund because I thought I was buying the a2824 2) I sell it to someone who knows how to quiet a Miyota after giving fair warning or 3) oil it.

I'd probably want to find a "pro" to do it because at this point I'm into this watch for a decent amount of money, so might as well do everything first class and not end up breaking it.

If it's possible to qualify, by what percentage did yours quiet down after it got oiled? Like, is it 75% better? 99% better? Just trying to figure out how to approach this whole thing at this point.

I would advise anyone NOT to get the V6F V4, for this very reason. [h=2][/h]

It's about 90% better. I don't notice any rotor noise. If you hold it to your ear and shake it you can then. Before every time I moved my wrist it sounded like you had sent a dozen marbles hurtling down a track. And it would spin so fast the watch would vibrate. Now it's just like any other watch and keeps great time. It seems to be a common thing with 9015 rotors even on micro brand watches, the bearings allow too much spin and are noisy.

Hans81

23/2/15
Good evening, is there anywhere here a side by side comparison of the gen pelagos with v3 or v4? Thx

Reactions: McMk5

Colt Seavers

Known Member
14/5/17
It's about 90% better. I don't notice any rotor noise. If you hold it to your ear and shake it you can then. Before every time I moved my wrist it sounded like you had sent a dozen marbles hurtling down a track. And it would spin so fast the watch would vibrate. Now it's just like any other watch and keeps great time. It seems to be a common thing with 9015 rotors even on micro brand watches, the bearings allow too much spin and are noisy.

Thanks for answering. Yes, that seals it. My watch is like yours was -- the marbles-down-a-track comparison is right on. Now I know though that it can be "fixed." Will have to look up some of those threads on oiling this watch -- or just go and buy a ZF.

ellist1234

Known Member
21/1/15
Uk
Thanks for answering. Yes, that seals it. My watch is like yours was -- the marbles-down-a-track comparison is right on. Now I know though that it can be "fixed." Will have to look up some of those threads on oiling this watch -- or just go and buy a ZF.

Take the back off. Then there is a central screw in the rotor that is a screwed in plug covering the three screws that hold the rotor on. Take it out and remove the rotor. You then oil the rotor with a dot of oil on the end of a pin. Remove any excess with a cotton bub and rotate the bearing, and clean again and repeat until it sounds nice and no excess comes out and refit. Takes 10 minutes

Reactions: RepWatchNoob

Hans81

23/2/15
Can anybody opine on the original question - what is new/improved on the v4?

ellist1234

Known Member
21/1/15
Uk
Can anybody opine on the original question - what is new/improved on the v4?

The changes are whiter bezel lume and more accurate number thickness. And decorated miyota movement the same as the correct new pelagos movement. The miyota should be more reliable and longer lasting. It lacks the ability for fine adjustment and has a noisy rotor. Saying that I've got mine to - 3 seconds a day and oiled the rotor.

Reactions: Hans81

Hans81

23/2/15
The changes are whiter bezel lume and more accurate number thickness. And decorated miyota movement the same as the correct new pelagos movement. The miyota should be more reliable and longer lasting. It lacks the ability for fine adjustment and has a noisy rotor. Saying that I've got mine to - 3 seconds a day and oiled the rotor.

Thank you!