• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the most common "tells" om a replica Pelagos?

Raziel

Horology Curious
14/12/17
Let's assume I got my hands on a nice v6f v2 or 3.

It's listed as a super replica, but nothing in the world is 100%. What would you mention as the most obvious tells compared to a gen? Both purely visually and "in the hands" where you can touch it?

Sendt fra min ONEPLUS A5000 med Tapatalk

btan

Renowned Member
11/10/09
My experience it’s in the crystal and the font crispness / width. Both of which are difficult to tell in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: antotony0203

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
The date wheel font can be quite thin on some I've seen

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

From what I’ve seen, the hour markers should be slightly rounded in the corners on a gen, but the reps are square.

Reactions: antotony0203
D

d4m.test

Thanks, really helpful so far. I also read that the center pin is silver/metal on the gen, but apparently not on all Gen models? So is it a tell or not?

What about how it feels?
Someone also said that the Gen has a special click sound and feel on the 60-marker, whereas the rep makes the same noise all the way around?

How is the bracelet and the auto-adjustment function? Does it actually work?

D

d4m.test

My bezel clicks sound the same all the way round; there is no extra pressure when it reaches 12.

The bracelet is a thing of beauty! Adjustment and expansion works great, however there is a gap / droop at one end of the clasp, but I’ve read that can happen on gens too.

I guess the question is, are you trying to fool yourself (who has been researching this loads), or other people? 99% of other people won’t have a clue. If you’re trying to fool the 1%; save up and buy a gen lol.

Reactions: billy6386a

btan

Renowned Member
11/10/09
Personally I believe the best ones are those that come through vac. Where he checks the lume and gets a new gen-spec AR crystal

k4jun

Ω Section Moderator
Section Moderator
Certified
25/4/15
Thanks, really helpful so far. I also read that the center pin is silver/metal on the gen, but apparently not on all Gen models? So is it a tell or not?

What about how it feels?
Someone also said that the Gen has a special click sound and feel on the 60-marker, whereas the rep makes the same noise all the way around?

How is the bracelet and the auto-adjustment function? Does it actually work?

That's true about the gen bezel click - one of the teeth is deeper there so it's harder to move the bezel from 0/60 position. Same thing applies for the gen Black bay.
None of the rep makers does not care about replicating this feature.
However I've seen at least one member here who modded that teeth, so this flaw is "fixable"

In the first point you are refering to a cannon pinion.

Check this thread, very similar stuff was discusssed.
https://forum.replica-watch.info/threads/blue-tudor-pelagos-decipher-rep-or-legit.405370/

D

d4m.test

Personally I believe the best ones are those that come through vac. Where he checks the lume and gets a new gen-spec AR crystal

Who/what are vac? A dealer?

I'm looking to source a watch that's already in EU, to avoid a customs clearance issue (destruction).

randomstring

5/1/13
On my ZF, the case machining between the lugs is pretty ugly. Only noticeable if you're wearing it on a strap and looking from the side.

WatchestoPlay

Timelord
12/8/16
The pelagos is a very well done rep. The “flaws” are not something that anyone in the real world would ever know or notice. It’s not a popular enough watch, so unless you are trying to fool another pelagos owner you will never have an issue.

Smpfan

Renowned Member
18/9/11
You can fix the „60 click flaw“.
Disassemble the bezel and find out which tooth clicks at 60. File it down as deep as possible with a special triangle shaped needle file. Use a loupe to check your work!
After that enjoy a harder 60 click...
Did this on mine. It works. But don‘t expect too much. I think gen is clicking more different.
But this mod is a nice improvement.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Elfriede

mattyd

I'm Pretty Popular
30/12/09
My buddy has a gen blue Pelagos and I compared mine to his. If you don't want to hate your rep, never do this. Everything is better on the gen! Obviously! The first thing you notice right off is the gen color is a bit muted compared to the rep. Next thing surprised me - the AR is way clearer on the rep. This makes sense because this is true of most Rolex too. The bezel clicks are insane on the gen - the rep is so so. The clasp on the gen is immaculate (I say all this knowing that one watch costs $400 while the other is around $3500 used). The bracelet on both are pretty close. The lume is good on the rep, perfect on the gen. Both last a long time, with the gen lasting longer - again, obviously. The real difference is when you wind the thing - my God does the gen wind smooth as butter. The rep feels like it's got sandpaper in it. Once you get your rep away from the real deal, it's the best thing in the world. i would suggest staying the hell away from the gen at all cost. :)

Reactions: McMk5 and tesmar43

Elfriede

Horologically promiscuous
Supporter
28/10/18
Heart of Europe
You can fix the „60 click flaw“.
Disassemble the bezel and find out which tooth clicks at 60. File it down as deep as possible with a special triangle shaped needle file. Use a loupe to check your work!
After that enjoy a harder 60 click...
Did this on mine. It works. But don‘t expect too much. I think gen is clicking more different.
But this mod is a nice improvement.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Thinking about modding my Pelagos herd :daydreaming:
I'm about to try some springs tribal used for his ARF SD43 https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...chsel-arf-sd43, as the specifics match the ones I read about next door (Music Wire Compression Spring, Steel, Inch, 0.057" OD, 0.008" Wire Size, 0.107" Compressed Length, 0.19" Free Length, 0.6 lbs Load Capacity, 7.2 lbs/in Spring Rate) and should fit for the Pelagos too.

So as the bezel has to go off anyway, I thought about trying your mod or rather asking Domi to do it :lol:

Could you elaborate a little more how you did it? If I have understood it correctly you deepened the gap between the two teeth or did you file the actual tooth? Maybe I could get my brother to try it with his dentist's drill ;)

Last edited:

antotony0203

Renowned Member
30/4/17
the engraving of the gas valve and the lug is an instant tell

我從使用 Tapatalk 的 SM-N9600 發送