Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

[UPCOMING] Never Stop Exploring....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[UPCOMING] Never Stop Exploring....

This is just a small teaser of what will take place into this thread here on the next days or so...

...I´ll be updating this thread with writing and some more pics about this fantastic watch that I had the opportunity to have in hands thanks to Max (maxlawbr), which very kindly let me borrow his brand new 214270 Explorer I for this upcoming review.

...So, stay tuned folks!

Cheers,
    Spirit.
    ? ROLEX ? forever...

16613 Submariner TT "Blue Index"
    16610LV Submariner "Lunette Verde"
    116710LN GMT-Master II "
    Ceramic"

Looking forward to this Spirit... though my bank account is not.

BECOME A VIP! Donate HERE

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. - Jeremiah 29:11

Tips for avoiding being scammed HERE

Comment

Hmmmmm
      (Did I just steel ach's line?)
      Please read here before sending a PM to staff.

R.I.P. T4D

Comment

Spirit, behave! Your photos always make me want this watch ...
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Please note:
        I have disabled my personal messages.

For important issues please
        submit a support ticket here

Comment

I need to get this one soon
          Waiting for another awesome review

Comment

I love mine!

Without wishing to steal Spirit's thunder, a quick and dirty wristie to whet your appetite

Comment

Very nice. What dealers carry this piece? The simplicity is awesome!!!

Comment

I understand this Explorer I is thought to be the real original James Bond watch, not the sub, because in the book the author mentions it is a Rolex and that the big numbers are easy to see. As we all know the sub doesn't have numbers. When filming Dr. No the director gave Sean Connery his own sub to use as Bond's watch. That is how the sub became the "Bond Watch."

Comment

Originally posted by donaldejose, post: 584089
                  I understand this Explorer I is thought to be the real original James Bond watch, not the sub, because in the book the author mentions it is a Rolex and that the big numbers are easy to see. As we all know the sub doesn't have numbers. When filming Dr. No the director gave Sean Connery his own sub to use as Bond's watch. That is how the sub became the "Bond Watch."

Although around 1956 ~ 1958 the "Royal Marines Submariner" and so (references 6538, A6538 and 5501), used the "3,6,9" Dial on it...

Check the pics and info below:

Submariner with Explore 3,6,9 dial [Reference 6538] Circa 1956

This watch was manufactured in the third quarter of 1956. This early Submariner is unusual in many ways including the fact the black bezel does not have the standard 1-15 minute markers and it also has a Rolex Explorer-like 3,6,9 dial with baton indices. The "gilt" (meaning thinly) seconds track, is unusual on the submariner as is the 200/600 printed in red. This watch also has a NATO strap.

=============

Royal Marines Submariner [Reference A/6538] Circa 1957

This Military Submariner (Milsub) was custom made for and issued to the Special Boat Squadron of the Royal Marines in England. It is 39mm with a prototype revolving metal bezel calibrated for 60 units. This watch also has the 3,6,9 Rolex Explorer like dial with Baton markers, along with the "Mercedes" hour hand. This watch also has a domed crystal.

Vintage Rolex Stainless Steel Submariners have become extremely collectable over the past couple of years and the one pictured above is worth $300,000.

============

38mm Submariner [Reference 5510] Circa 1958

This watch was made in 1958 and sold in Spain. It has a red upside down pyramid indicator surrounding the zero position on the bezel, as well as the 3,6,9 Explorer markers. This watch is currently worth $200,000.

[Source: 100 Superlative Rolex Watches by John Goldberger & Jake´s Rolex Blogspot]

Cheers,
                  Spirit.
                  ? ROLEX ? forever...

16613 Submariner TT "Blue Index"
                  16610LV Submariner "Lunette Verde"
                  116710LN GMT-Master II "
                  Ceramic"

Comment

Extra cool stuff, Spir !
                    Muito obrigado Irmão.

The first 6538 still has an old 6204 insert. Prolly transitional.
                    The second is the rarest, incredible piece. Only two of those around with original radium dial + that bezel. Between '60-'62 all the other radium dials were repainted into trit ones in England. True rarity.
                    Cant be 100% sure but the 3rd dial was possibly retouched, cos it's "swiss" only but lume looks much whiter and thicker, somewhat re-applied.
                    Trit dials all have either "Swiss T < 25 (indicating emission of less than 25 mC) or later "T Swiss T" (indicating emission of less than 7.5 mC), instead. Then they realized Tritium is radioactive too haha (only a lot less so)
                    The official Milsub was instead batch-made in 1976-1979 based on a 5513 case, re-referenced 5517 and never retailed.
                    They all have 8mm Brevet crowns (Brevet as "patent").

Abs great thread and pictures as always mate!
                    Thumbs up!
                    sigpic
                    The
                    fugitive chicken still struts on...

=> Vintage Rolex Ultimate Guide Click Here

Comment

Very interesting. Never knew about those watches. So the question then is when did Ian Fleming write those lines about the Rolex with the big numbers? If he wrote them before 1956 he must have been referring to the Explorer. if he wrote them after 1956 he could have seen and been referring to one of these subs. Maybe someone can provide an answer to this question.

This web site [http://www.jamesbondwatches.com/Watc...200902p01.htm] says:

Only one brand is specifically named as that secret agent’s watch in Fleming’s original 14 Bond editions: Rolex. The greatest detail comes in his eleventh book, On Her Majesty’s Secret Service, published in 1963. Here we read of the “big luminous numerals” that Bond sees when taking a lazy midnight glance at his chronometer, “a heavy Rolex Oyster Perpetual on an expanding metal bracelet.” The watch is a Rolex Explorer I.

A link between Fleming and the Explorer is established, he owned one! Does anyone know of any link between Fleming and the Royal Marines? If so, he could have seen their special sub and actually been referring to that Rolex. Spirit may just have added to James Bond knowledge on this issue. During WWII Fleming was an officer in British Naval Intelligence. I don't know how long he had Naval Intelligence connections or whether he ever did, or could have, seen one of the watches Spirit posted above. Interesting . . . .

Comment

I can't the review, I think i am going to get one for my father for Christmas. It looks like the times he is wearing now that is all beat to hell so i know he like the looks.
                        The seven most terrifying words in CapitolismI'm From the government,I'm here to Help........Ronald Reagan Must Harve,VConstantine White Flyback chrono.Hulk,243 new H factory,JL rosegold Chineese Tourby, 224 w 7753,JL REVERSO, DD 2 Blue with Jubilee smooth bezel, DD2 rhodium silver TT green RN, 1655 w 2836, HBB V6 RG CF face
                        JL Reverso

Comment

Spirit,

I love this pic of the explorer!!! Any idea when we may see the full review!!?? I'm eagerly looking forward to it!

-The Marshal

Comment

Such a classic and classy watch ! can't wait for the review !
                            Matt From Belgium

Chopard Gran turismo XL+++Mont Blanc Timewalker Chronograph automatic+++Tag Heurer Carrera+++Panerai Pam 048

Comment

Working...
                            X