Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

[REVIEW] 116619LB ? Submariner Date "Cerachrom Blue" WG

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[REVIEW] 116619LB ? Submariner Date "Cerachrom Blue" WG

First of all, I´d like to say thanks to Hont, who was the one that sourced this watch for me, and got me it in no time (arrived in 1 week only) surprising me with a new batch with the more blatant issues fixed on this model. Thanks Hont!

================================================== ============

Now onto the review:

...Well, every watch lover knows at least a little bit of the Rolex Submariner history, one of - if not the most - iconic and known diver´s watch of all history of horologie, and the one that is a must on most of the collections around the world.
    Also, I´m pretty sure it was fully covered on many reviews here, so, I´m not get deep into the whole history of Rolex to review this Submariner...But instead, I´ll be trying to cover the modifications featured for the new models, that were presented in 2008, and are already for sale now on the Rolex Authorized Dealers.

We know that the Submariner kept its design immaculate and had almost no change for years since its debut, but now Rolex stepped into the modern technologies and is gradually upgrading the Submariner line up, starting with the most expensive ones, going thru the Two-Tones this very year of 2009, and scheduled the Stainless Steel versions for the upcoming 2010.
    These substantial changes on the submariner line are:

- Cerachrom Bezels (Ceramic Bezels in Blue and Black colors)
    - ChromaLight (Rolex SuperLuminova Blue)
    - GlideLock Clasp (Yet a different model than the used on the Sea-Dweller DEEPSEA)
    - Maxi Case (Fatter Case, Crown Guards and Lugs, similar to the one used on the GMT-IIc)
    - Maxi Dial and Hands (Already previously used on the 50th Anniversary 16610LV "Lunette Verde")
    - Polished Midlinks (Present on all Ceramic Submariners so far, but yet unknown about the upcoming Stainless Steel versions)

Here we can see a quick line up of the top models of the Submariner range...These 3 models are in full Gold - Yellow or White - and feature the same changes listed above:

- 116618LB (Full Yellow Gold - Blue Ceramic & Dial)
    - 116618LN (Full Yellow Gold - Black Ceramic & Dial)
    - 116619LB (Full White Gold - Blue Ceramic & Dial)

...The one I´m going to review here is the top of line, most expensive Submariner ever on the Rolex line. the 116619LB in White Gold, on its replica counterpart.
    [smilie=angel12.gif]

And nothing more fair than start it by the biggest change on the watch, the Ceramic Bezel.
    ...we have seen much being talked about the Ceramic used on the rep watches, alot of white lies have popped here and there, and not much was explained. We can´t know EXACTLY what kind of material it is, but after the "sandwich" inserts that didn´t used ceramic at all, and the new ones so called "real ceramic" things have changed alot.

On its GEN counterpart, the "Cerachrom" material used is treated to gain almost kryptonian powers, being virtually scratch-proof, and resist to almost everything it can be put of..

For this reviewed watch, what matters to us, is how the "ceramic" used replicates the GEN feel and obviously, the shine.
    ...On that subject, and owner of a GMT-IIc 'v1' (a21j) I can see the difference explicit on the numeral colors, which always was a parameter for me to compare the two models, other than the shine.

This Submariner - being an CloneETA - got the best version of the "Ceramic" used on the rep world, so it shines REALLY good (although my GMT-IIc shines very good too) but the engraved numbers on the insert suffer from the same issue from any Rollie rep that has the ceramic bezel. They´re darker and almost matte, instead of the shining silver that is shown on the GEN Rolex´s, due to the "platinum bombarding" the inserts go thru on its manufactuing.

So, the Insert on this Sub will eventually to go thru some light modding and have its numbers painted with silver/white metallic or pearlescent paint, to match the gen coloring and shine, but no big deal, as it´s not a difficult to do, and awesomely covered by Gioarmani on his tutorials about the Sea-Dweller DEEPSEA modding.

...On the above pics, you will be able to notice 2 things:

1 - The rehaut engraving: It´s not perfectly aligned as I´ve seen on some a21j models (there´s a factory that makes it perfectly on 40mm Rollies, and I had the opportunity to get a watch from it, which I´ll have to take pics later on YET..
    But apart from that, and although not perfectly aligned ALL AROUND (it is perfectly aligned on most of the rehaut), it´s VERY well made, having the correct font and shape, and most important, the depth and no-paint finish. It gives the watch a GEN look that couldn´t be achieved in many reps that I´ve seen along these years of constant *ahem*biaatching*ahem* of mine around the forums...

2 - It´s COLOR! It´s indeed AMAZING!
    ....I must admit that the first time that I saw this watch in pictures I had the same reaction that most of us - and everyone - had... "-That color is so boring and matte! no depth!" ...It would look just like one more "Smurf" in the village, but I have to say...This watch is a stunner, and nothing like I have seen before.
    The more I try, more I´m convict that none of the pics are able to do any justice to this watch. the Ceramic changes color with ambient lighting - and it´s no surprise for us, as it´s VERY shiny and we´ve seen that already on GMT-Masters and DEEPSEAs around, but not on this shade of blue. and not with a blue dial to kick some bright into your eyes! 8)

...The Dial gets a darker shade when you´re indoor, "trying" to be a little bit more subtle when you´re - for example - on an elevator, and not grabbing everyone-s attention around, but when you´re in the sun...oh boy...it gets to live strong, and it´s fascinant.
    The blue color might not dance on the dial like my 16613 TT "Blue Face", but as changes color just like the 16613 does, although not so explicit (the 16613 goes from DEEP Blue to Purple Hue depending on the ambient, but in the sun, it´s strong and waving deep blue.)
    All I could say is that this watch is an eye-catcher, and although it´s kind of subtle for not being 'golden', you can´t wear it with EVERYTHING - IMO (you might also take into consideration the price tag of US$20.000+ for the GEN counterpart)

The GlideLock Clasp:
    ..Clasps on Rolex reps always were the major weakness of the factories so far... I don´t know why, if dumbness, or what, but on this watch, this problem is definitely solved.
    I had a project in mind, which isn´t any original, since our fellow 4square is/was in the same crusade with this 116619LB as well. Which consists in fixing the flaws and issues that were present on this Ceramic Sub model.
    - Initially, (on the previous version- before this one I get from Hont), it came with the same clasp as the GMT-IIC, which was yelling WRONG...and then, the factories decided to put an old style diving extension on the new style Clasp, which was like, as right as putting some beans and rice on your orange juice cup...

I then decided to buy a Sea-Dweller DEEPSEA Bracelet..and thanks to CBR and AHW676, who made it possible for me, the opportunity just turned into reality sooner than I thought I would be jumping into this Ceramic Sub project of mine...
    I did source this bracelet to use on the Sub project, but the watch already came with the correct and fixed clasp, making it not necessary to change its clasp for a DEEPSEA one.

Just to clarify a point I made above on the review, since I wasn´t clear enough about it... (sorry, I was kinda asleep when writing this review at almsot 5am)

My project was to get the DEEPSEA clasp and transplant it into the Submariner bracelet, but as the watch already came with the correct and awesomely engraved Clasp out of the box, straight from the factory, I´ll leave it as it is, with its original Clasp so far.
    ...Being so, I´m just letting my DEEPSEA Bracelet on hold yet, but I´ll do polish the midlinks and switch them occasionally later on (even it not being the correct for the model, but it´s way cooler.) back and forth.

So, the Clasp you see on the pics is the stock out of the box that comes with the watch, and not only that, it´s the correct model for the Ceramic Sub as per GEN.

The GlideLock system on this particular watch of mine has a yet hard to pull off link - and I´ll have to figure out a way to smooth things out a bit later on - but the functionality is indeed as simple as the EasyLinks present on the current GMT-Master IIc, Daytona, and Turn-o-Graphs (as any new Rolex with the new style Oyster bracelet)

You just have to apply a little bit of force, and pull the link until it releases the GlideLock link and turns able to slide along the inside part of the clasp.
    ...After having it adjusted, you just press it back until it snaps into place and you have a quick and precise adjustment to any hour, That´s something very cool from the new Rolex bracelets and I completely love it.

Little info about GlideLock bracelets:
    - There are 2 models of GlideLock Bracelets, and each one have a different kind of clasp too. The most complex (and cool) one, belongs to the DEEPSEA, and its reference number is 98210. This GlideLock has an opening system to adjust the sliding link inside of it, and also comes with an engraved diving extension, composed by 3 retractable links folded inside the clasp. This Clasp isn´t the one present on the Ceramic Submariners, which instead, come with an also called GlideLock Clasp, but this time, numbered as 97209 (for the White Gold model) and 97208 (for the Yellow Gold models).

I don´t know which GlideLock will be coming with the upcoming Stainless Steel version of the Ceramic Sub in 2010, but if Rolex keeps in the same fashion, it would be a "97210" for SS as reference, and leaving the 98210 only for the DEEPSEA as a Tool watch and heavy diving model...

Also on the Clasp, something that many of us anal-ists have been praying to see the factories get a grip and slap a decent engraving on the inside of the Rollie Clasps...the engraving is actually...ENGRAVED!
    What a nice surprise (one of the many of this watch Hont was able to source for me) The engraving seems to be the same as the one on the "new factory" Milgauss, so I assume they´re made by the same factory, and - I hope so - it´s a feature that could be extended to all the rep Rolex being made from now on.
    That would be an excelletn add on for the GMT-IIC, as it really lacks a decent clasp engraving.. (those damn laser etched smudges really piss me off)

The Engraving is sharp and well done, has perfect depth and all proportions/sizes are correct with the GEN..... the one and only error on it, for this 116619LB specifically, is the "STEEL INOX" engraved on one of the parts of the clasp, as the GEN counterpart of it is a full 18K white gold watch, not SS.

I tried to capture the depth of the engraving with some different light angles, so you all can see and judge for yourselves the quality of this 'new batch' version..

Moving to the next and most exciting feature on the pictorial (at least for me) the ChromaLight Lume: :mrgreen:

This is by far, the most amazing factory stock lume I´ve ever seen in all the reps that I have owned. It puts any MAG-Lite to shame, and - when charged, I must make it bold - it is brighter than my laser mouse.

At first I was expecting the usual green lume on the rep, as Hont´s pics on his album only showed the old batch version, which has nothing special to babble about, a regular and weak green lume...So, I have no options other than live with it, or send it to Vac, to have it relumed.
    But as sending it overseas for a relume that would cost the same as the watch itself wasn´t a so attractive idea, I didn´t even consider it.

Anyway...After drooling over the watch and checking the surprisingly features it came with, I said to myself: "- Hmm, let´s see if this green lume is any strong & good, or it´s just craptacular..."
    I hold the watch over my desklamp for some seconds, and went to a darker spot of my bedroom and... BANG! blue all over! :shock:

At first I thought it was my eyes tricking me, as it was midday and I was facing the window for sometime...so I thought the blueness of the Dial was playing tricks with the lume. I recharged it once more, and no doubt, it was all blue, and strong as hell after charged!
    I noticed that the hands aren´t as light blue as the Maxi Dial markers, but it´s definitely very strong too, although not as bright as the hour markers...The Pearl on other hand, has almost no-lume, and is very weak compared to the rest of the watch. The pearl sometimes shows a more acqua-ish hue, tending to a mix between blue and green.

- Exposure of 1,5 seconds, lume full charged [desklamp ON]:

Here you can see how the lume on the pearl is almost non-existant near the Dial and hands...
    - Exposure of 10 seconds, lume virtually no-recharged [desklamp ON]:

**WARNING, Sunglasses required**
    - Exposure of 30 seconds, lume full charged [desklamp OFF]:

....and it´s 5am, I´m asleep. [smilie=angel10.gif]
    Hope you all enjoy the write up, and later on I´ll add some more info and pics to the complete review. Sadly my Digicam ran out of battery, so I couldn´t shot a wristshot of this badboy today, but tomorrow I´ll add one to the review.

Cheers,

Spirit.

**DO NOT COPY or REPOST. EXCLUSIVE CONTENT for RWI Forums.**

...I´ll be adding a few more pics from time to time, and will start writing the second part of this review, covering other aspects about the 116619LB during the week. But so far, here are 2 "studio" pics of the Blue Sub, showing better the colors of the Bezel and dial.
    The Blue hue is darker than in the pics over the 'Perpetual Spirit' magazine. and as I said, it changes color accordingly lighting.

And here a straight on shot, comparing it to the GEN on the below pic:

Mine...

GEN...

Quickie wristies I took today...
    ...and it´s definitely impossible to capture the true color of this Sub dial and bezel with my camera..nor in front of the window or back to it, in a darker enviroment. The color always get brighter and lighter than it actually is. on the wrist, it´s darker and looks spot on

PART 2:

Well, getting into the "anal-isms" of the watch, I´ve noticed some details on it when compared with it´s GEN counterpart.
    ...You all have noticed it on the pics too, but I thought I should just add it to the review as well.

First thing you can notice on the pics above, comparing the frontal shot of the watch, are the CGs, they aren´t quite right, although not as bad too.
    CGs on the GEN are more squared, and they look like they stick out a little bit more than on the rep. having its outersides more straight shaped against the angled shape the rep has, but the case shape doesn´t vary as the DEEPSEA has changed along its versions...You can see its lined with the bezel at least.

Second thing, the caseback - as Gio pointed out, it´s a clean caseback, there are no markings at all on the back of the lugs (I´m not talking about between the lugs, as I didn´t remove the bracelet to check). but the markings that we usually see even on cheaper reps, like the a21j, they aren´t there. Which did surprise me, cause rep factories used to stamp "18k" in everything, even on the models that should have SS parts.

The Bracelet also comes to this: there are no model numbers on the Endlinks, no 93150 (which we see on the 16610 Subs) and even less the correct 97209 that should be there for this White Gold version.

Something that might have noticed on the GEN, is that the Triplock Crown has 3 dots under the Rolex coronet, but the middle dot is a bit larger than the other 2 on its sides, and on the rep, the 3 dots have the same size...

The Color of the Dial and Bezel: This is something sort of difficult to avail, (actually, to show) and needs to be seen for real, at your hands. The ceramic changes the hue of the blue really interestingly, and IMO, the difference is SO small (a little brighter) that I dare to say it´s spot on with the GEN.
    ...That´s something that will really depends on which lighting you´re seeing the watch, and you will absolutely have to have a GEN side by side to spot the difference, (which won´t be easy to find laying around...lol)
    Press pictures from Rolex show a darker hue, while the official Rolex site shows a lighter hue...Yet Rollie addicted pics from the Basel show even another color...as I said, it changes TOO much, and will be impossible to spot differences without having both GEN and rep on the same enviroment and lighting at same time...

I just need to add that I´m in love with the color of this watch.

Fit and finish: This watch is one of the best watches I own so far, and is really one of the best that I´ve seen around at the nearby dealers here. The holy grail clasp is - IMO - finally achieved on a new style Oyster, as we´ve seen on other models, like the DEEPSEA and the 'new factory' Milgauss, and now, on this 116619LB Cerachrom Blue Submariner. and I do hope that this factory extend this update for all the other watches it makes, like the GMT-Master IIc, and the new daytona models too, aswell as the whole Rolex line up...

Hmm...what else could I inspect about this watch?

The movement is the well-known and beloved Asia 2836 "CloneETA" smooth at 28.800vph, works works like a charm. Smooth also to set time, and the crown really screams 'quality' with its feeling. I won´t get into details about it cause I´m no movement expert and there are plenty of info about this movement alone on the board.

anyway...Comments & Suggestions welcome....More pics will follow along the week.

I just added this wristshot here that I think can show the blue hue of this watch at its best. This is the closer I could get with my poor camera.
    ...I tried pics in the sun, and it always get too much pale, even setting the white balance in all possible setups, but I finally managed to take a nice daylight shot of the closest to the real color of the watch:

Cheers,
    Spirit.

? ROLEX ? forever...

16613 Submariner TT "Blue Index"
    16610LV Submariner "Lunette Verde"
    116710LN GMT-Master II "
    Ceramic"

Re: [REVIEW] 116619LB ? Submariner Date "Cerachrom Blue" White G

Nice pictures, good read!
    Reps:
    PAM 111h - Francisco movement decals and superlume
    PAM 127
    PAM 090
    PAM 225
    PAM 202
    Ebel 1911 Discovery
    Omega PO Orange, Omega Aqua Terra, BR 01-92

Comment

Re: [REVIEW] 116619LB ? Submariner Date "Cerachrom Blue" WG

Fantastic review, like that you focus more on quality feel and finish than just the 1:1 aspect of the watch.

I can tell you put a lot of energy and effort into this, and your photographic skills are just outstanding!

@ Cloudhopper, you are one fast reader!

Regards
      Mike

Comment

This is beautiful! I can't wait to "cheaper" models get's the upgrade, so we can start getting reps of those.

Very good review so far. Can't wait for the next part.
        /KinCaidk
        I LOVE PER VIKING!!!!!

Comment

Great review, Spirit and damn what a beautiful watch.
          That's just jumped into my number 1 spot of what to get next.
          Natural-born world-shaker...

Comment

fantastic !!!!!!!!!

Comment

wow, I am sort of liking the blue now... sort of tacky for me at first.... it is growing on my now..
              I think I have the compulsive disorder for watches...

Check this out!

1) Singaporean, Malaysian or people living in SEA say hi!!!

2) HOW TO LUME A SANDWICH DIAL!!

3) GET YOUR LUME HERE!

Comment

great work mate :mrgreen: im not a fan of long exposers on the lumen shots :? but the work you put in really stands out ....
                :sam:

Comment

Thanks for great review.

Comment

great review, i am glad to see they have improved this watch.
                    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

"say hello to my little friend"

Comment

To me this section wasn't 100% clear... you first make it sounds like this came out of the box with a nice clasp. Then later mention it being a "project" and that the bracelet was sourced.

Which is it? Is the clasp pictured here the one that came with your watch or did you swap them?

Originally posted by Spirit

The GlideLock Clasp:
                      ..Clasps on Rolex reps always were the major weakness of the factories so far... I don´t know why, if dumbness, or what, but on this watch, this problem is definitely solved.

I had a project in mind, which isn´t any original, since our fellow 4square is/was in the same crusade with this 116619LB as well. Which consists in fixing the flaws and issues that were present on this Ceramic Sub model.
                      Initially, it came with the same clasp as the GMT-IIC, which was yelling WRONG...and then, the factories decided to put an old style diving extension on the new style Clasp, which was like, as right as putting some beans and rice on your orange juice cup...

So, I decided to buy a Sea-Dweller DEEPSEA Bracelet..and thanks to CBR and AHW676, who made it possible for me, the opportunity just turned into reality sooner than I thought I would be jumping into this Ceramic Sub project of mine...
                      DEEPSEA Bracelet arrived, and I was all excited about it, now only having to wait for the watch itself to transplant the clasp and have a "less wrong sub" on my wrist.

Also on the Clasp, something that many of us anal-ists have been praying to see the factories get a grip and slap a decent engraving on the inside of the Rollie Clasps...the engraving is actually...ENGRAVED!
                      What a nice surprise (one of the many of this watch Hont was able to source for me) The engraving seems to be the same as the one on the "new factory" Milgauss, so I assume they´re made by the same factory, and - I hope so - it´s a feature that could be extended to all the rep Rolex being made from now on.
                      That would be an excelletn add on for the GMT-IIC, as it really lacks a decent clasp engraving.. (those damn laser etched smudges really piss me off)

Comment

Originally posted by ispytonyv
                        To me this section wasn't 100% clear... you first make it sounds like this came out of the box with a nice clasp. Then later mention it being a "project" and that the bracelet was sourced.

Which is it? Is the clasp pictured here the one that came with your watch or did you swap them?

Sorry, I wrote the review late night and was getting very asleep...

My project was to get the DEEPSEA clasp and transplant it into the Submariner bracelet, but the watch already came with the correct and awesomely engraved Clasp out of the box, straight from the factory.
                        ...Being so, I´m just letting my DEEPSEA Bracelet on hold so far, but I´ll do polish the midlinks and switch them occasionally (even it not being the correct for the model, but it´s way cooler.) back and forth.

So, the Clasp you see on the pics is the stock out of the box that comes with the watch, and not only that, it´s the correct model for the Ceramic Sub as per GEN.

...I´ll re-read and edit the whole review later on, when I´m more awake and have plenty of time to do so.

Cheers,
                        Spirit.
                        ? ROLEX ? forever...

16613 Submariner TT "Blue Index"
                        16610LV Submariner "Lunette Verde"
                        116710LN GMT-Master II "
                        Ceramic"

Comment

Wow. That is definitely a stunner. Lume looks like it could light up a room!

Great review too.

Comment

Spirit,

how much does Hont charge for this beauty?

Comment

*drools*

Excellent Spirit really enjoyed this!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
                              "You heard of Switzerland? It’s a country in Europe and they don’t like to fight. They let everybody do their fighting for them while they ski and eat chocolate.â€

Say which wrist-watch is a Swiss wrist-watch 3 times. :P

Comment

Working...
                              X