• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dealing With Lighting

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Some people think photography is about the Object being photographed but it really is all about the LIGHT BOUNCING OFF the object being photographed.

The light hitting (and therefor bouncing off) the object can be very even or very uneven, as we shall see below. Each create different effects and can be handled in different ways.

Look at this room. It is a "sunroom." Lots of windows on three sides with the largest window allowing afternoon light to stream directly into the room. This photograph was taken in the morning. Look at the Russian military coat on the table. Notice no direct light is hitting it. Our subject watch will be set on that coat and will be photographed in the morning when no direct light hits it and in the afternoon when it is lying in direct sunlight.
DSC_0022.JPG

See the watch on the coat lapels lying in the shadow? It will be photographed in the even light when no direct sun light is striking it.
DSC_0023(1).JPG

Look closely at the following three photos. Notice the even lighting side to side. BUT to do this at f8 I had to be using ISO 1,600 at F5.6 and 1/125 sec shutter speed or ISO 800 at f8 and 1/30 second shutter speed. Depending upon your camera that high ISO setting may cause "grain" to appear and that slow shutter speed my cause blurring. Also, the even lighting can be seen as "flat" and undramatic to some.
DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0009.JPG

DSC_0017.JPG

Certainly, these are acceptable images, especially the last one, but not all cameras can photograph well at high ISO and low shutter speed. (I am using a Nikon D80 for these photos.)

So lets wait until the afternoon sun streams in that big window and photograph our watch in full sunlight. What is going to happen? Full sun also brings with it full shadow. So we now have a wide range of light values to deal with. We can expose for the highlight and let the shadows turn black or we can expose for the shadows and let the highlights burn out white or we can try for a middle ground. Most cameras will try for the middle ground as you see in the following three images. Look at how the highlights still are too light and the shadows still are too dark.
DSC_0024(1).JPG

DSC_0030(1).JPG

If we turn the watch so the dial is in the shadow it becomes more of a problem.
DSC_0039.JPG

While these photos are OK we can do a bit better if we use something to reflect light back into the shadows filling up the dark shadow with some light. Think of this as "fill light." Here is a homemade reflector. it is a sawed-off piece of board with two cardboard pieces stapled to each side. One cardboard piece is covered with white typing paper and the other with aluminum foil: all ordinary stuff found around the house for no cost.
DSC_0001(1).JPG

DSC_0002(1).JPG

Now lets see what difference they make; first the white side and then the aluminum foil side which will reflect more. The following two photos are made with sunlight streaming in from the left and the white typing paper reflector set to the right just out of camera lens view. Note how this reflector "fills" the dark shadow allowing for a less drastic range of light (light to dark ratio) in the photograph.
DSC_0026(1).JPG

We can even now handle the situation where the dial was all in the shadow by "throwing" light bounced off our reflector into that dial.
DSC_0033(1).JPG

Do you like it? Makes a big difference, doesn't it? And for no cost! Now I am able to use a higher shutter speed because there is more light bouncing off the watch than there was when the watch was in the shadow and the variation of light from lighter to darker makes the photo less "flat" and the shadows show texture and give the image more "dimension." All in all a lot of benefits from a simple homemade device which cost nothing to make.

Now lets add a bit more "fill" light by using the side of the reflector covered with aluminum foil. We are now entering a matter of personal preference. Some people may like the "more fill" created by the aluminum foil and some people may like the "less fill" created by the typing paper. Either way is fine. This is what the aluminum foil side does. Notice more light in the shadows. In fact, in some images the shadow almost completely disappears.
DSC_0028(1).JPG

DSC_0035.JPG

DSC_0036(2).JPG

DSC_0038(1).JPG

DSC_0042(2).JPG

If you found this interesting and helpful please make a reflector yourself, use it for some photos and post your best images below.

Warrenpiece13

10/1/11
Great post! I have a lightbox that I use. I've also seen boxes made from cardboard with stocking mesh to allow light to pass through but to soften it before hitting the subject. Science fair cardboard stands are perfect for whitebalance as well as controlling light too.

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
I plan to do a future post on the use of a lightbox but wanted to deal with very simple stuff first; things anyone can do to improve their photos without buying anything.

Warrenpiece13

10/1/11
Awesome! I'm all about cheap and easy. I'm a big fan of the strobist when it comes to cheap and efficient lighting.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
I've gotta try this as everyone knows I have the worst photos on this forum!!

D

d4m.test

I'm so in awe of you, don; you are an ARTIST and a fine teacher. I'm taking notes, as this novice needs some training... . THANKS!!

dave :thumbsup:

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
You can also adjust the amount of "fill" or "bounced" light in the shadow of your object by varying the distance the reflector is set away from the object being photographed. In my examples I put the reflector on the right side just out of sight of the camera lens. If you want a bit less fill light just move it and inch or two farther from the watch. More fill, move it closer to the watch. Adjust to taste. Try a number of different positions including further to the front or further to the back to get slightly different effects. Take many photos while you have it all set up and then look at them on your computer screen to select the ones you like the best. You may like a certain lighting combination as it displays on your computer other than the combination you seemed to like best when you took the photo. Remember, we will all see the computer monitor image, not the real life image you saw when you took the photo.

Now lets see some photos you took. Post before and after photos so we see the shadow before and how the reflector reduced it after.

nubian

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/11/09
great tip and tutorial! thanks

aluminium foil is a brilliant idea