Announcement

Collapse

Please Consider Supporting RWI Today!

We depend on Supporter & Patron subscriptions to pay the bills. Please consider supporting RWI TODAY, CLICK HERE for info on how to subscribe.
See more
See less

Bought a DSLR. What Now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought a DSLR. What Now?

last night picked up a Canon T5 for cheap on Craigslist. Thing was still sealed in the box so i feel like i got a good deal on it. Came with a EF-S 18-55mm IS II Lens. Been wanting one for a long time, but never pulled the trigger. I mainly bought it to take watch pics, but told the wife it was so we can take nice pics on vacations as well instead of using our phones. Ive never done any type of photography and this is the 1st camera ive bought in a decade.

After doing a little bit of reading about getting good close up shots, I bought a cheap reverse lens mount adapter and an Auto Focus Extension Tube on Amazon for $30.

What is a good, cheap lens for Macro Shots? What is everyone using for their Macro shots?

Holding the lens backwards up to the camera seemed to work pretty good last night, but was hard to get it to focus.

Also, what other accessories are a must? I bought a small tripod to be able to take macro shots, but what else is good to have for both macro shots, and everyday shooting?
    I buy broken watches

SH3185 GMT 116710 Build
    ARF 904 Steel Testing

I personally don't do a lot of watch photography but I work in the advertising/production industry so I know my fair share of camera stuff. When looking to buy a macro lens, it is important to buy one with a large focal length, typically around 100mm. Basically, a macro lens is any lens that has a 1:1 magnification ratio. Since you are working with a T5, which is an APS-C or crop sensor camera, you will need to multiply the focal length on every lens you buy by 1.6, as this your camera's crop factor. Focal lengths on lenses are denoted for 35mm sensors which have a crop factor of 1x. So a 70mm lens will end up looking like a 70x1.6 or 112mm lens. So while you would look for a 100mm focal length on a full frame camera, 100mm equivalent on your camera would be 60mm. Canon makes a great EF-S 60mm macro lens that has a pretty wide aperture at f/2.8 too. Its only around 400 bucks, and thats gonna get you great results. Otherwise, if you are looking for a good all-round lens that you can use on vacation as well, Canon makes a 24-70 f/4 that has a macro mode as well. It is part of their L-series, so it's a little bit more expensive but has great build quality. It's aperture is not as wide as the 60mm f/2.8, so it won't let in as much light, but if you have a good lighting set up for your macro pictures that shouldn't be a problem. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Comment

It might be worth noting that EF (Canon's full frame lenses) are backwards compatible to EF-S sensor cameras but not vice versa. This might not even be relevant but if at any point in the future you are looking to upgrade to a Canon full frame camera, you will be able to use EF lenses on that, but not EF-S lenses.

Comment

You can get lenses with very close focus. The 24-70 f2.8ii L is incredible.

I'd recommend that lens then if you grow into a full frame, youll still be covered.

Pretty much depends on your budget.

You can use dxomark to check oens sharpness etc.

Comment

Your next step is to grab lenses -- what's your budget? If you expect/want to do some other stuff other than watches, the nifty fifty (Canon 50mm 1.8) is around $100 and a must-have for your kit since it's a cheap, good quality prime. Primes are generally higher quality than any lens containing that focal length with a larger range since they have fewer elements.

Additionally, as a photography newbie, the restriction of a prime at 50mm is really helpful for forcing you to use your legs to move and compose pictures rather than just lazy zooming.

For just watch stuff, since you have the recommendations for lenses, I would actually recommend looking into getting/making a good light box with some LED lights. You'll find that the lighting and bounce will affect your macro quality a lot for show-off shots. If you REALLY want to go all in on equipment and start doing things like a pro, you can look into Speedlites, but those are a bit overkill if you just want to take shots every now and then.

Other random tips... collect some lint-free fabrics of different colors for backing/mounting, have microfiber cloths handy for cleaning EVERYTHING off your watches, and get some white/black posterboard. The posterboard comes in handy for various things, but one tip is to cut a hole the size of your lens and mount the posterboard on the lens so that you can hide the blackness of the camera in any reflections.

by @WingNut

Comment

Working...
          X