• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Having a hard time picking a camera

1slo4g

Horology Curious
28/5/13
I am planning on selling my watch (TC LV) to obtain a new camera, but I'm having a really hard time picking out a camera. I plan on mostly making video/films with the camera. I am mainly looking for small camera that is ease to haul around without spend over $700. So far I was leaning to the Canon G7x mark II, but a few hours I was able to play with a friend's Sony a6000 and I really like it's exchangeable len and sharp image. I'm having really hard pick a camera. Any input or help would be great, thank you!

JMS2016

Only Sloths
Patron
Certified
24/2/16
It's not necessarily small but! If you can sacrifice a bit of size for some seriously awesome quality:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1119766-REG/nikon_13473_d3300_dslr_camera_with.html

There you go all you need you'll take pics like an Effin pro all day long
18-55 for close ups 55-200 for distance auto focus is on point and as many other lens options as you can handle if you decide you want to really take it more seriously.
Don't be fooled by megapixel ratings they mean little, the quality of the photo depends on much more than megapixels.
Source - surf photographer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
If you want a mirror less SLR (ie: small) you can't go past a Lumix IMHO. Either that or a Lecia but that's going to be more than 700 just for a body.

Reactions: 1MoreWatch

1slo4g

Horology Curious
28/5/13
If you want a mirror less SLR (ie: small) you can't go past a Lumix IMHO. Either that or a Lecia but that's going to be more than 700 just for a body.
Thank you for the input. So far the best mirrorless option I have under $700 is the Sony I think.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
You should get a Lumix under 700 mate. Check out the larger Hong Kong based eBay sellers for great prices and service.

killahbeez

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/10/10
If you liked the Sony a6000, you should check out the a6300, the focusing on that I've read is one of the fastest on a mirrorless system. I have a few pro photographer friends that have this camera as their travel / everyday camera and they love it. It be out of your budget, but you may be able to find a good used one.

nsk2135

1/1/17
CONUS
I would most certainly recommend against a Leica for your purposes. It's a magnificent stills camera (I have an M-E), but only the M240 (and maybe the m10, I don't remember) have video, but they're just awful compared to current cameras with video capabilities (what comes to mind, Canon 5D II,III, Panasonic GH4, etc). Used, I believe an M240 goes now for about ~3,500 for just the body, so I guess you'd need to sell a gen to fund that kind of purchase =p. Plus, rangefinder lenses have a minimum focusing distance that is significantly longer than a normal SLR lens, and they're ridiculously expensive as well.

I digress, though. If you're fixated on mirrorless, then the GH4 is a beautifully featured camera (4K output). I think you can get a body used for about $800 used on eBay. If not, I hear that the G7X II is great (plus it's small). I think it goes retail for <700.

I'm kinda a camera nerd =\

enzoferrari670

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/11/17
Another vote for the Sony A6000 with kit lens. Excellent camera to start with and you can always purchase other lenses later on.