• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Lytro just got got serious - well, almost

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
The new prosumer Lytro is out and it's beginning to look like a serious system at last.
http://mashable.com/2014/04/22/lytro-illum/#_

Still a ways to go yet but I can see uses for this as a tool rather than a traditional camera. Uses such as crime scene, accident investigation, medical, archaeological and other archival recording I think are going to be the main uses for the tech for the foreseeable future. Another one would be cataloguing for sale items. You could photograph a room for a real estate sales advert for example and the entire room can be examined in focus. It also has incredible macro capabilities, it will focus with the lens touching the subject for example.

As a "normal" camera it's a gimmick, as a tool it holds great promise.

Discuss . . .

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
21 views and no one has an opinion?

tmorgan

Known Member
28/2/14
Still not useful enough to justify.

Once flattened, still only produces resolutions DSLR's were doing years ago.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Very interesting concept and like you said, I can see a lot of potential uses in the future. But it looks like this 2nd gen model would be fun for about an hour, at least after looking at the example they used. I'll wait for V4.

Jordan27

I'm Pretty Popular
3/7/13
It will be a great bit of kit once it gets sent out to the masses, improvements, upgrades etc will make this a great option for a lot of potential users..

But as of right now, I'm not yet convinced..