• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cuba cohiba esplendidos

Fez

Renowned Member
17/5/11
Hi chaps,

after a bit of advise, as google isn;t my friend today I couldnt find anything on the.

A friend has bought 25 back from cuba sealed in the box.
they are 7 inch long and just under a inch wide.

They are :
Cuba cohiba esplendidos

Basically, what should I expect to pay?

regards

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
125 euro is the price excactly...
A friend of mine brought me last summer

seclark007

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/11/10
Is the case all wood or does it have a fancy glass top? The reason I ask, is that "Gens" don't come in a glass topped box....the ones that get made with floor sweepings from the factory get the nice, glass topped boxes.

The (real) esplandito's go for $18-22 USD each....so a genuine box should be in the region of $500.... 125 euro's is suspect.

They do cigars there as well as watches in GZ....don't let stickers fool you....even rep rollies have hollograms!

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Looks ok. Invest in a black light. Shine it on the seal and if something red appears your golden.

Search a thread I started called "cool fact you night not know about cigars".

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
Yes 125 euros from Cuba authentic esplendidos...He made a small profit..
They are sold in Greece for 500 euros the box...

Fez

Renowned Member
17/5/11
Thanks for the help chaps :

I don't even smoke cigars.. but hey what the heck! haha.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Cohiba Esplendidos are one of the most faked product out there.
I'd still be leery........

I have people give me cigars that travel abroad and have yet to receive a genuine article yet. Unless he has a stamped receipt from a dealer I simply would not buy them.

Just be careful unless you've got an extra $500 laying around collecting dust. I have smoked many fakes that were VERY good. They were still not genuine though.

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
EXACTLY what frig said...

During a trip to Cabo San Lucas I was, of course, in search of Cubans. I thought I was doing well to avoid the street vendors and small shops. Eventually I came across a cigar kiosk in the MEGA grocery while making a booze run (problematic?) and was given EVERY assurance that it was legit. Bought a half dozen "Habano" Cohibas at roughly $18 each; A DEAL!!! Most shops seemed to charge about $24 for a Toro sized stick. So...

Totally f*cked. I think I gave the remainder away to people who wouldn't know the difference.

As a parenthetical departure...

I later discovered a quaint little cigar shop in the town square in San Jose del Cabo. The shop was run by an attractive, young family and their dog. Tentatively, I bought a few sticks. Back at our condo (and after a couple of mohitos) I was in stogie heaven. The next day I returned to the shop and was greeted by the head of said family, a handsome man in his thirties...

"Senor, weren't you in my shop yesterday?"

"Yes, I was... ???"

"Well then, that makes you my client and clients earn a substantial discount here."

6 Cuban Cohiba Siglo IV, $8 each. I grabbed a handful of really good Te-Amos and some recommended off brands just to show my gratitude. When in Cabo (if I ever return) I will never buy anywhere else.

I would also consider myself lucky in this case.

jstreit

Renowned Member
18/1/12
I am cuban, and my family usually takes a trip every year so I send 100 dollars with them. Usually I am able to get 10 boxes of cohibas back and am very happy! :)

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
You bastard... ; )

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

jstreit

Renowned Member
18/1/12
Lol maybe next time my family comes I can get a box for rwi cigar enthusiasts ;)

jcrry2

I'm Pretty Popular
10/7/09
I would love to buy a few cubans, nice ones if any of the US members can sell them to me?

doxaman

Horology Curious
11/2/10
I am cuban, and my family usually takes a trip every year so I send 100 dollars with them. Usually I am able to get 10 boxes of cohibas back and am very happy! :)

And they are not real...they may be cuban tobacco but they are NOT Cohibas.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
And they are not real...they may be cuban tobacco but they are NOT Cohibas.

I didn't want to say it first. A box of Monte number toos is still $225 in Cuba no matter who you know.

The price of Cohibas is well deserved there with the care and sorting that goes into them.

jstreit

Renowned Member
18/1/12
I know they are because my cousins aunts and uncles work on the tobacco plantations for cohiba. Hopefully my family will go this year and while we are bringing them clothes and stuff we can get a few and I can share with a few interested people here.

Wingfeathers

24/7/10
USA
What is the difference between a Cuban, and any other fine cigar? I tried a few while overseas (where there is no reason to fake them, as the only ones available were Cuban) and they seemed the same to me as what is for sale in the states. Perhaps 40 years ago there was a dramatic difference, but today?

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
The difference, nowadays?? Not much.

Those that left Cuba after Castro came to power settled primarily in the Dominican Republic. That was the next big craze in terms of what was available from the master blenders. Cohiba is an excellent example of a brand that made that transition and there was a huge demand for them during the 90's cigar boom.

The next generation of cigar "artists" are now based in Nicaragua (Esteli), Honduras, Costa Rica, Brazil and even Mexico. You also have to consider Cuban seeds left Cuba over a century ago. All of the above now produce some of the finest leaves in their respective regions.

Cubans, well, they have that "habano" mystique. Cuba still produces some of the best cigars in the world but limited availability and exorbitant price has driven the market elsewhere. For the money, a prime Nicaraguan stick can be every bit as enjoyable. Dare I say... better than?

TheBattler

26/7/10
The difference, nowadays?? Not much.

Those that left Cuba after Castro came to power settled primarily in the Dominican Republic.

Nope. Those exiles settled primarily in Puerto Rico, South Florida and New Jersey.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2