• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What was your New Year's cigar?

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Hey troops,

I was going to start this thread on New Year's day but I got into other projects, than travels... so here it is:

What was your New Year's stick? I had a terrific aged Cohiba Siglo VI from my Diplomatic stash. I wasn't blown away by the multitude of flavors these peticular cigars exhibit... but then again I had a slight cold which usually has an influence on my taste buds. I will post some great pictures of the stick after work.

Lev

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
Lets see.....I had a nice Domincian seed indy brand called a Taboo...Maduro

mikeyp

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/3/11
Think I got through a couple of Montecristo No 2's one of my first ever smokes when I got into cigars 15 odd years ago and still one of my favorites

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Montecristo #2s are the shiznet Mikey. I wish I could keep one box of those and one of the Cohiba Siglo VIs.

mikeyp

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
20/3/11
Yep sounds like we have a similar taste in stogies those Siglo's are also resident in my humidor for special occasions :)

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
I thought about taking a pic of mine, unfortunately just after the ashes fell: Macanudo Maduro Diplomat

IMG_0959.jpg

etto09

Renowned Member
13/11/06
I've had two:
Romeo y Julieta Robusto before midnight and
Montecristo Petit Edmundo after midnight.
Both were perfect taste!!!

Sent from my iPhone

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Don't have pics of the the smokes I enjoyed over New Year's. A couple of beers, a martini and 6 bottles of red wine (and some good company) left me a wee bit preoccupied. Decided I would revisit that yesterday as I was cleaning guns and futzing around the garage.

Cabaiguan; another Tatuaje originally blended by Don Pepin Garcia at the El Rey de los Habanos factory. This Connecticut wrapped beauty is all flavor but with a toned down strength. The name Cabaiguan comes from Don Pepin’s hometown in Cuba. For this blend, Pete Johnson chose 100% first generation Cuban-seed filler from Nicaragua, giving this puro tremendous spice and complexity.

THIS is my all-time favorite cigar.

Pre-light flavor was of sweet spice and roasted pecans. Draw was excellent. This stick didn't really have the razor burn it is known for and I have found the wrap to be very delicate. Typically they are boxed "naked" and I have long wondered if that contributes to their potential for cracking. This cigar was no exception.

The first third was a spice bomb with lots of earth, thick smoke and a wonderful sweet aroma. This evolves into a rich cream flavor and a hint of fresh bread. Burn was initially a little uneven but it did sort itself out. The second third really opened up with some body (medium), and some oak and cedar notes. Flavors were complex but also very refined with the spice ebbing and flowing throughout. This is an incredibly balanced smoke. The final third was a continuation of the spice and cream. It was never too hot and had a long, toasty finish. Smoked this one until the tips of my fingers burned and I could smell the hair singe on my goatee.

16550613-ac9

16550622-704

16550623-31b

16550625-f0a

And, coincidentally, this would be my 2012th post... :maty:

Wiz

Mythical Poster
9/8/09
Whao, that sounds like a great smoke G30!!

Being quite a novice cigar smoker, and not being into too strong things, do you think that's something I could enjoy smoking?

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Absolutely Wiz! When Cabaiguan was first produced in Miami there were only 5 people in the world that rolled them, making this cigar a little tough to come by. They are now made in Nicaragua by Jaime Garcia at My Father Cigars S.A. and hopefully that has increased their production/availability. After a few queries, I'm not finding a retailer in the EU. You could probably source them better than I can. Again, Cabaiguan is a Tatuaje brand. Retailers that carry My Father Cigars might be another key to finding them.

Priced more than your "everyday"; about $217 a box or $10 a stick for the Belicosos Finos (5.5 X 52). $210 a box or $9.25 a stick for the Robustos Extra (5.2 X 50). I like Cigar.com for these.

It will be love at pre-light... :thumbsup:

Spiccato

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
Congrats on the Cabaiguan. My NYE cigar was a Flor de Florez torpedo, the one with the blue and white wrapper from a box in '00. Miami made, aged perfectly.
I had to distribute the lesser Habanos to my mates around the fire.
Cheers...

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Liga Privada Toro by Drew Estates -- a good "cheap" primo that is always consistent. A T52 found its way into my hand far too late for me to enjoy it haha.

tflgee

1/9/09
Prior to heading off to the New Years eve party I managed to sneak in a Diesel unholy cocktail. It was my first and it wasn't too bad. Pretty nice, inexpensive, full bodied smoke.

nexterag

Renowned Member
6/1/14
Partagas 898 along with my favourite Bolivar Belicosos. I believe I had a H.Upmann Coronas Junior before hand but I was a little worse for wear!! [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk