• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Daily (Cigar) Report. What did you Smoke Last Night?

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
I had a very rare and hard to find NC on Sunday in the morning, with coffee, while starting a round of golf.

Its was the Tatuaje Drac. Courtesy of Matyoka. Thanks bro!

From what I have been able to find out, this well aged cigar came out about 2 years ago as a limited edition of 1300 boxes, distributed through 13 stores.

Now... to the smoke. Medium to Dark chocolate colored wrapper. Black ring with red lettering on the end, not the standard position. Excellent construction, firm but forgiving. Almost no oil on the wrapper, noticeably aged, and perfect triple cap. Vitola - Torpedo.

The smoke was full of flavor, but surprisingly smooth. Mostly cedar and earthy flavors, undertones of spice, pepper, and occasionally fruit (can't place the particular fruit...). Many times I don't like fruit flavors, but it was well suited to this smoke. As the smoke went on, the spice and pepper flavors slowly migrated to chocolate, leather, and a little bit of creamy carmel. The occasional fruit flavor remained.

The cigar burned perfectly, not super slow, but not too fast. The ash held on for about an inch to an inch and a half (I was playing golf).

It took me about 1.75 hours to smoke. Unfortunately, I didn't get a pic of the cigar, but I will edit and add a pic of the ring later tonight.

My rating: 95 (not too many NCs that I would put there)

I could smoke this cigar all the time and not get tired of it. Thanks again Maty, you're so generous.

Ring pics:

img0973sz.jpg

img0974u.jpg

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Dustin,

Awesome review, that alone made up for the cigar!!! I am happy that you enjoyed it.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Yesterday's smoke: Montecristo aka Monti #2.

It was exquisite to say the least. Its everything you can want in a cigar, and even some you didnt know existed. Excellent craftsmanship, the build on it was perfect. It smoked smooth, consistent and held a beautiful ash(as you can see from the pic). Teaming with flavors that changed throughout the entire cigar. This is a must smoke regardless of whether you are a beginner or a lifelong cigar lover. You will never regret picking this cigar from the humidor to smoke.

And now the pics:

imag0038d.jpg

imag0041u.jpg

Stepdad smoking his usual Macanudo...

imag0043r.jpg

Holding his ash like a champ

imag0047g.jpg

Down to the last couple of inches

imag0049s.jpg

Finished product :)

imag0053k.jpg

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Had the privilege of smoking a cigar with my cousin today, who just came back from deployment. Went to the local cigar lounge and then got some hot wings. We talked about pretty much everything under the sun...some good, some bad, but it's great just to see him doing well. He's not the person you'd think would be up to serving his country, but suffice it to say he's returned tested (by one battle in particular) and has emerged a different man, and one that I'm proud of.

The smoke today was a Rocky Patel Vintage '99 Connecticut robusto. Went for something milder as I was on an empty stomach. Very good smoke, every bit the cigar that I've come to expect from Rocky. Well built, tight double-seam cap, packed tightly, smooth wrapper with no blemishes. Easy but not loose draw, nice flavor. Starts out creamy with a hint of cedar, mild body. Sweetness drops off at the finish, picking up to a medium body at the finish. Perfect morning cigar or for those times you're looking for that creamy taste you can pretty much only get with a Connecticut shade wrapper.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
An other awesome day in Arizona yesterday, so I took a walk across to see from our Arizona rental to see what's the big fuss about hitting a small ball into a whole. Yes, we have a huge golfcourse 50 yards from our home... But I did not leave home alone!!! Brought a Limited Edition Asia Pacifico Por Laranaga with me just in case the game looked interesting. I know most people do not know what Por Laranaga is, but let me assure you that it's upthere with the Cohibas, Montecristos and Partagases. Lost most of my pictures, I guess the memory card in my phone is acting up, but I was able to save 3-4 shots. Here they are...

I know, this one sucks, but I managed to get a nice clear shot at the put putters :)

imag0067mp.jpg

imag0068y.jpg

mailxu.jpg

JC7

Put Some Respect On My Name
15/6/10
nice one. send me a list of what you have left buddy.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
J,

Will be back in Montana this evening. Will send everyone interested the list. U doing ok? Verizon dropped their Galaxy to 399... asswipes. I would have bought one at that price. Oh well... there's always JC to the rescue :)

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
J,

Will be back in Montana this evening. Will send everyone interested the list. U doing ok? Verizon dropped their Galaxy to 399... asswipes. I would have bought one at that price. Oh well... there's always JC to the rescue :)

Sounds good Maty. I'll send you my address as well for that starter kit :maty:

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Ok, my smoking peeps I am officially home in Montana. Took me a while to get back home so bare with me and will send out the list as soon as I retrieve it from my work PC(nextdoor).

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Hello fellow fumadores and fumadoras!

My Brothers Of The Leaf,

Not a picture of the actual cold February day here in the Northwest but I did revisit this same smoke today. A Cusano 18 Double Connecticut as well as an ode to warmer climes...

Taken in San Jose del Cabo last September...

29d4cc15df5c4cb2a319a072183cd5a87693e5eff8b48a982d09c701b2c2611d5g.jpg

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Just got a fiver of Gurkha Grand Age churchills in for some humi time before the spring...

IMG_3300.jpg

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Helping me celebrate a freak 60* day in the middle of a Chicago winter was an Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro toro. Very nice tight box press. Firmly packed. Notes of chocolate layered between spice. Sweet on the finish, medium bodied. Very solid cheap smoke.

63bd8421-fbf7-7356.jpg

G30

I'm Pretty Popular
12/1/11
Mimicking RobbDizzle's layout (thanks!) and not very well I might add. Trying to get a feel for macros so I can get some pictures out of my new BK DSSD. Using a Canon Powershot SD940 IS...

85d10e992b934c12d00cabe38b28781e5c524845d26b2137dd766f5362d311075g.jpg

Today's smoke: La Diferencia Cubana. Formerly made by Hendrik Kelner of AVO and Davidoff fame. Nicaraguan sun grown habano, mild to medium, smooth, creamy and flavorful with a hint of spice throughout. A great morning smoke paired with a cup of coffee.

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Today something new (and highly anticipated!) 5V Gold torpedo. Very nice smoke, very relaxed and a change of pace from the full-bodied maduro/corojo/broadleafs that usually inhabit my humi. Some nice spice up front for the first few puffs, then nice and mellow until towards the finish, where it builds up in body just a bit and brings the spice back in for the finale. Some burn issues, but nothing major. First finger-burner of the year for me, and it couldn't come soon enough! I'm thus far VERY impressed with every 5V that I've smoked.

IMG_3328.jpg

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Rob,

Took me some time to get to your welcome package, but it is going out tomorrow. Hopefully the US Post will show up, we had three days of non stop blizzards. Will send your tracking via PM.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Smoked an Esplendido with my brother in Arizona. The Esplendido was my first CC 15 or more years ago and totally changed the way I looked at cigars. Recommend keeping a few Esplendidos in your humidor(s) guys!!!

Spiccato

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
La Flor de Cano? One of my faves. I still have some PCs from '97 somewhere.
I also found some Boli PCs I had given up on....maybe from '01? They're magical right now.
I believe I had a cigar called "Cain" the other day. Nice! All ligero, perhaps? Can anyone elaborate?
Oh, and one more thing. I found a Brazilian puro called "Dona Flor." Love Brazilian tobacco.
It's the flavor everyone loves in Puros Indios and Cuba Aliados.
Love my Habanos; love my Brazilians!

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
I believe I had a cigar called "Cain" the other day. Nice! All ligero, perhaps? Can anyone elaborate?
!

Cains are indeed all ligero...3 different types IIRC. Esteli, Jalapa, and Condega if memory serves. Smooth, flavorful, and taste fantastic after a few months in the humi. They're ninja-full...so smooth that you don't really feel the power until the finish, and even then it's a steel fist in an velvet glove. There's a habano and a maduro in the regular Cain, plus a fuller-bodied Cain "F" and a slightly milder-bodied Cain Daytona (which I have yet to try). Made by Oliva, one of my top 3 favorite factories at the moment, and Cain habano robustos are one of my favorite everyday smokes.

murklemark

I'm Pretty Popular
28/7/10
Hi guys, I'm an occasional cigar smoker so thought id have a look in this section. You guys smoke lovely choices. Last night was a H. Upman Coronas with my favourite 23 yo matuzalem rum. Was a nice easy smooth, easy smoke with a good draw. The flavour was really completed by the super smooth rum. Was a good start to the weekend.