• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Daily (Cigar) Report. What did you Smoke Last Night?

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
I'm at the padres game right now... and brought a partagas d no 4 ... an upman 2009 se and a ramon allones Asia pacifico.. will let you know what I decided on later

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
I decided on the h. Upmann .... my friend had the partagas... both thoroughly enjoyed... pics to follow

Sent from myDR6300 using Tapatalk

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
As I said, I went with the H.Upmann Magnum 48. This smoke was awesome. Perfect draw. Nice tight ash. The smoke was a little light, with hints of chocolate and spice.

My good friend enjoyed the Partagas Serie D No.4 thoroughly.

Later that night, I had a Ramon Allones Specially Selected robusto. Overall a good smoke. Great draw. Nice thick smoke with a mellow, almost fruity flavor.

Here are some before and afters:

5028153411_4769887fd8_z.jpg

5028162331_32eb39f572_z.jpg

5028163713_dcf3e1d168_z.jpg

5028786010_745424eeb0_z.jpg

5028788388_e95e56033f_z.jpg

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
The RASS is one of my all time favourites. The D #4 I like to keep as many as possible, sometimes I go for a whole box of them as well as the Ramon Allones. Light and not too expensive...

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Yeah, great smokes. I'm feeling spoiled. The RASS was excellent with a Guinness.

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Had to take advantage of the nice warm sunny day in Montana, so I lit up a La Flor de Cano Petit Corona after work. I've never had this vitola from LFDC and I was very pleased with it. As usually, I had a nice warm cup of freshly made Dunkin Donuts coffee with it:

imgp4397f.jpg

imgp4398.jpg

imgp4399.jpg

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
I lit up a Mexican A. turrent the other night. When I picked up this box.... great price for a low 80s cigar.... they where a liitle intense/harsh. The blend has really come together in the humidor over the last 8 months and they have become very good. They still are pushing mid 80s IMO but the construction is flawless. Truly one of the most beautiful cigars I have seen in a long time. Burn and draw were exelent. Dark oily wrapper. The blend is a little one dimentional. Try one... they surprised me! :)

1z2zh9x.jpg

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Pardon the cell phone pic.

Tonight was a La Flor de Cano, cedar wrapped. Very nice mellow daily smoke. Went well with a Jameson on the rocks. Went for a little walk and enjoyed it.

This particular one was a little wet and the draw just a little tight, but overall very enjoyable.

imag0158c.jpg

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Glad you liked it. I will remove mine from the celophane as well. Smoked this one 3 days ago and it was just a great cigar... plus the price is just awesome.

countit

22/5/10
Don't want to jack this thread, but you guys make me realize how much I'm missing out.

I enjoy a great smoke but never invested in a humidor. So, I'm ready to get one. Any recommendations for a quality starter? Something low maintenance but keeps 'em fresh.

Thanks! (Probably should have started a new thread. Apologies. Can a mod help me correct?)

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Today I had a Padron 2000 (a robusto) while enjoying a round of golf on a short 9 hole par 3 course.

A decent smoke, perfect burn and perfect draw (although I've had others that weren't quite the same). Started out a bit peppery, smoothed out to hints of coffee by the middle, and as I got to the end it started getting more full flavored.

Here's a pic of one from my humi although not the one I smoked as I forgot to take a pic beforehand.

img0643mu.jpg

padron001.jpg

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Don't want to jack this thread, but you guys make me realize how much I'm missing out.

I enjoy a great smoke but never invested in a humidor. So, I'm ready to get one. Any recommendations for a quality starter? Something low maintenance but keeps 'em fresh.

Thanks! (Probably should have started a new thread. Apologies. Can a mod help me correct?)

Get yourself a cheap one off of bay. Your collection with inevitably get bigger THEN invest in a good one.

Make sure it is COMPLETLY lined with cedar and has a humidity gauge.

Set up your gauge as per the "salt method" (google this) and wipe down the cedar with distilled water.

Pick up some propylene glycol at your local pharmacy and mix it with water about 1:10. Drissle this solution over your humidifier pad. DO NOT soak your pad as this will send your humidity through the roof and literally blow up your cigars.

Do not put your cigars in the humidor until you can stabilize the humidity at between 68-70% RH. If and when you have to add water to your element only use distilled water. You only need the propylene glycol about once every couple of years.

Enjoy your cigars! :)

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
+ 1 to Frig's post. Although, I recommend not wiping down the cedar as it can actually warp and sometimes even crack the cedar. It usually doesn't, but in rare cases does. Instead (if you have the patience) just put a shot glass full of distilled water in the humidor for a couple days to let the wood soak up some humidity.

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Last night was a Hoyo de Tradicion Epicure. A good, smooth, but not very complex smoke. Went very will with some nice nigori sake/ Didn't take pics though.

Today, I went to ocean beach and had a dominican cohiba robusto. A nice mellow smoke. the ash held for almost the entire smoke.
imag0164g.jpg

imag0168p.jpg

Matyoka

Renowned Member
5/7/10
Now you understand why is my handle RedDotLover on CA? Try the Churchill, awesome cigar!!!

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
LOL... I didn't put that together until just now Maty. :facepalm:

I just figured it had to do with your guns! (I use a BSA holographic red dot a lot when I hunt/play paintball, etc.)

dustin

Renowned Member
7/6/10
Ok... here is last night's smoke. A Fonseca Especial.

A newer cigar. The guy at the local shop gave me it for free to check out and report back as the dealer is trying to get him to carry it.

Overall, I would not recommend the smoke.
Here is my review.

The smoke's construction looks impressive. Nice dark oily wrapper, tightly rolled, very nice cap.

The smoke started out very flavorful. Berries, coffee and cream, to my untrained palate. There were some interesting little pops as the oils on the wrapper lit up.

About an inch in, the flavor hollowed out. It tasted like light smoke, almost flavorless. Then, another inch and it got a bit peppery. It was fairly inconsistent like this throughout the smoke.

The smoke was also a bit difficult to keep lit. As such, I had it burning a little bit hot and was probably getting a little too much smoke.

The last third of the smoke turned into a dark espresso and spice flavor that was a little bit too full throttle for me. I could see, however, how some would enjoy it.

In the end, I got a little bit nic sick, which wasn't fun. Perhaps the smoke would have been more enjoyable if it were dried out a bit, or put in a humidor around 64 to 65rh for a couple months. However, I only had one and no, I'm not going to rush out to get another.

Pics:

--------------------------
Will edit when I can find them on imageshack. They disappeared.?
--------------------------

Located:

imag0174sz.jpg

imag0175n.jpg

imag0176m.jpg

imag0177l.jpg

imag0178e.jpg

imag0179w.jpg

Yes maty, I can smoke at the pool!