• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Take a look at these “Cubans” I was given

WatchKnob

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Supporting Vendor
10/6/13
USA
Never had a Cuban before but I smoke around 500sticks per year and these look really shitty construction but then again I’m used to 10$ sticks that are perfectly made.....

Thoughts?
Also what the heck is that green spot?

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
I smoke a lot of cigars but I am far from an aficionado. I smoke $10 a $15 cigars and any Cuban I can get my hands on. With that said, those look really, really poorly wrapped. Fake Cuban cigars are more prevalent than fake watches. I’d say they are definitely fake. @aphillipe what do you think?

HNTR

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/16
Give me some bourbon and 20 minutes and I’ll wrap a tighter stick Seriously though, I agree with tucker, but I’d be interested in what a true aficionado says. I’d still smoke them

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Those look like Hondurans to me based on style and material, but in all reality they could be from Mexico down to Chile -- the green speck is an issue in the fermentation process. It happens quite often, but better producers don't let that go through their quality control process, let alone end up on a wrapper. Other than Cohiba, those damned Partagas Serie D seem to be the most counterfeited brand. The Rialto and R&J rings look off as well. I'd bet on fakes (not reps), but they probably aren't that bad of a smoke if you're mowing the lawn or have already had half a dozen and can't taste anything anyway haha.

Are LFD's your go-to stick?

WatchKnob

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Supporting Vendor
10/6/13
USA
Nah, I don’t really have a go to stick. Basically anything but patel and Connecticut or less than medium-full body

I don’t think omg going to smoke these. It wasn’t a friend who gave them, some guy on CL who bought one of my huge thermos electric humidors

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Haha -- you mean Rocky Patels aren't all they're cracked up to be???

aphillipe

Renowned Member
31/3/13
I smoke a lot of cigars but I am far from an aficionado. I smoke $10 a $15 cigars and any Cuban I can get my hands on. With that said, those look really, really poorly wrapped. Fake Cuban cigars are more prevalent than fake watches. I’d say they are definitely fake. @aphillipe what do you think?
this is a tough one.... the last few years have had HORRIBLE quality control and inconsistencies even in the same box of cigars coming out of Cuba... Overproduction to keep up with demand and not enough leaf. I've also seen some green spotting on a few of mine that I purchased while in Havana (at an LCDH).. and the veins being so prominent - again likely them using every leaf they can get versus being picky...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

WatchKnob

SUPPORTING VENDOR
Supporting Vendor
10/6/13
USA
Had a few actually NOT terrible except the draw was super super tight on two and kept ashing at less than an inch like a cheap non long leaf stick and constant relighting and uneven burns. I’ve certainly had worse

D

d4m.test

The green spot is just a part that hasn't aged properly, literally, a "green" part of the leaf. If there are ever white spots, it's where there was a drop of water sitting on the leaf while ageing. Neither are a problem, go ahead and smoke.

Not sure on the Robaina, but the RandJ doesn't look right, and the Partagas are obvious fakes, the band is wrong. The gap on the outsides of the gold stripes should be even.

If you want to get better photos of the Vegas, I have a few in my humidor, and can take comparison shots if you like?

They don't look "loose", just a little shoddy around the caps. The leaves are pretty ugly, but to be honest, I have had known genuine cubans with some obvious flaws, and poorly applied bands. The printed on the bands is always good though.

If I get a suspect batch, I usually sacrifice one, to check the contents. Nobody wants to be smoking floor sweepings, or dead bugs! However, fake cubans IF THEY WERE BOUGHT IN CUBA are normally fairly good quality anyway, being just cheaper "local" cigars pimped up with fake bands, and more commercial Vitolas.