• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Smoking Jackets

Phil G

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/9/10
Stevenage, Hertfortshire, England
Have a read of this, I quite like the ritual of a smoking jacket.

http://duchessclothier.com/blog/a-short-history-of-the-smoking-jacket/

SmokingJacket_KindHearts3_large.jpeg

rolexwatchfan

17/8/13
That explains alot, very entertaining read! Thanx for sharing Phil!

Thrasher

Legendary Member
15/4/14
The Beach
Wow that's pretty cool and contains a wide range of information. Got on my Facebook cause its so interesting. Kinda surprised Sherlock Holmes was not mentioned. Oh Well. But Cary Grant one of my favorites did get mentioned so that makes up. And I don't Smoke.

Capt. Obvious

5/5/13
Interesting you mention that. I wear a smoking jacket.

Where I'm originally from, the smoking jacket (which evolved into simply the "room jacket" or "chamber jacket") can be found in lots of styles and price points because it is so popular.
It is now a garment which use is to keep you warm (like a short robe) while maintaining some sense of elegance and comfort. It's more like a lounge or nightwear really.

In the UK however you will NOT find a smoking jacket (except Harrods), even in Piccadilly or similar places.
When you do find them, they are £1000+ and are real luxury!!!

So when I go back home I buy a simple but stylish wool jacket that looks good with my velvet slippers and silk scarf and then sit on my Chesterfield armchair reading (Tapatalk ;)) and sipping bourbon! :)