• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Vintage whiskey is better?

wallaby1

Horology Curious
17/12/18
Florida, United States
I have recently inherited four bottles of 50-60 year old whiskies and one gin. All but one unopened. Unfortunately, whiskey is my least favorite liquor. I found oldspiritscompany.com which is a massively interesting website. Edgar, the curator of the site, is a liquor nut and seems to be the world's go to guy for vintage alcohols. I had him value some of my collection and I was blown away. Apparently these old recipes are different than the current versions. This is what I have, some with Edgar's appraisals.

W. A. Gaines’ Old Crow Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, Bottled 1967, 43%, 75.7cl, Traveller Packaging, £350 = $455

Seagram’s Extra Dry Gin, Bottled 1965, 45%, 94.6cl, £240 = $312

Jim Beam 8YO Kentucky Straight Rye Whiskey, Distilled 1960, Bottled 1958, 43%, 94.6cl, £360 = $468

Seagram's Crown Royal, bottled 1957, about $300. Wasn't appraised but there are plenty on the site from which to interpolate.

Beam's Choice Charcoal Filterd, aged, 1960's, not appraised cause it's opened. I tried it and it had a nice kerosene flavor with notes of sand spur. Give me my tequila back.

Any thoughts on this vintage stuff? Anyone hate me for not being thrilled to have one of these bottles? $400 just seems a bit steep for a $50 bottle, but that's a hellofa ROI. Too bad it's nearly impossible for an individual to sell alcohol in the states.

Adrenix

5/12/18
Don't know much about US whiskey but I have a bottle of Japanese whiskey on my shelf at home worth about £1000 which was an investment.

There are some very vibrant whiskey auction sites in the UK if you can get them over here. Vietnam and the far East also has a very bouyant collectors market.marke

Check out scotch whiskey auctions, whiskey auctioneer or just use Google and find your bottles!

Downside it is very tricky to sell opened bottles as counterfeiting spirits is now big business

AngelaBlack

Looking Around
30/7/21
Its quality is influenced by many factors, among which is the slow distillation process in tall copper cubes gives the whisky its sweetness, fruitiness, and elegance. Each nuance has its personality, reinforced by the distillery's distinctive characteristics: ripe fruit, citrus, vanilla, a delicate, spicy aftertaste, creamy texture, and a complex, balanced taste. The quality of the spirits soon gained recognition in the whisky industry, and it became a sought-after whisky among blending masters. I have long heard that this whisky is used to follow the keto diet, and I noticed it in the ingredients of keto recipes

Last edited:

boogieman

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/20
Get this…

I went to my local alcohol store and randomly stumbled upon some.

Taketsuru 17 priced at 50% of retail. Asked the clerk if it was the right price apparently it was. Picked up 4 of them and put them in storage haha
Went back next week.
Taketsuru 21 prices at 50% of retail. Asked the clerk once again ans he confirmed. Right price .
Picked up 4 of them too.
Get home and find out that they are both discontinued and are estimated to jump in price significantly in the next few years. Win!

Maybe they’re reps *shrug*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk