• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any Whisky recommendations?

Gloos

Horology Curious
7/2/22
Germany
Good Morning RWI-Members,

title basically says it all. I habe no prefference, so send in Bourbon or Scotch recommendations as you like. Also since I really want to try some Japanese Whisky, I'm stoked what you can recommend there.

Last edited:

diecast_

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/9/15
Australia
The Talisker 18 is very easy to drink single-malt Scotch whisky. On the more budget but still a solid dram is Bushmills 10 - an Irish Whsikey. I highly recommend both!

Japanese - can't go past Hibiki 18 or Yamazaki 12.

KruisingKhaos95

Chairman of Daytonas Anonymous (got any?)
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
20/9/21
Spion Kop - The Scouse Republic
Gonna go against the grain slightly hear and suggest that you look into taster bottles, you can pick them up from the whiskey exchange online or even your local supermarket. When you are un sure as to what types of whiskies you are into this is the best way to experiment without wasting a load of money on something you might hate.

I'd also suggest trying to get a whisky of each "type"/flavour profile to really isolate what types of whisky you enjoy. Maybe start with a Islay whisky like Laphroaig 10 or Ardbeg (peaty/smoky/maritime flavours), then something a little more elegant and floral like Glenmorangie 10, then try something sweet and desert like, typically associated with bourbons like Bullet, Woodford Reserve etc and finally something citrusy and sharp like a Hibiki Harmony or other great Japanese whiskies. I think the bigger the range of whiskies you can get your hands on and try the better. Once you have found one or a few whiskies you enjoy, that opens the door to a plethora of even more within that style!

Reactions: Feefo and p0kiri

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
Tried this blended “bourbon”-Kentucky and Canada. It’s called Barrell Dovetail. Little on the higher side so I reserve it for Diwali/Thanksgiving

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

attachedthanks

Horology Curious
25/7/22
There's a local one here in Nashville called Belle Meade Bourbon that's quite fantastic! Pretty inexpensive too for what you get.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
Well, I would have forgotten more on this fine topic than most others would have learnt. Such is in fact the nature of this particular hobby!

You say you want to try Japanese whisky....

Suntory Whisky Toki - about $25/bottle - have it Toki style - I would in a slim tall glass with ice and seltzer water
Hibiki Suntory Whisky - about $75/bottle - really smooth - I would with just an ice cube in it.

Reactions: KruisingKhaos95

Procurator

Strawcruncher
Gold Patron
Certified
15/1/20
SEA
I enjoy a lot of em, but, notably: Glenfiddich (18up), Glenmorangie (16up), Talisker (18up), Lagavulin (16up), Macallan, Oban (12up), Laphroaig (18up) & Quarter Cask (10 is also quite nice), Nikka, St. Andrews - Gold (bourbon), Ardbeg (12up), etc
These are all quite smooth and complex, some are more smokey, but profile-wise, theres quite a wide range.

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
Old Pappy (15 year). Not a fan of Johnny Walker, but the blue label is pretty good, even if it's a bit overpriced.

3eII2k.jpg

Reactions: serumdiesel

tacomn

16/1/23
usa
If you are looking good bang for your buck if you have a Trader joes, Finlaggan scotch. Heard supposedly it is Lagavulin bottled for TJ. Point it is fantastic for the price. It is 20 bucks, and actually good which is usually impossible for a scotch so cheap.

zykan

25/8/15
I've recently been trying the more expensive jack daniels, there are a few to be had around £35-40 in the UK at the moment. I am a fan of normal JD but these pricier ones have been great, currently on single barrel select. I'd love to get my hands on some cask strength stuff!

jkent83

Certified
3/1/22
Oregon
I tend to prefer Irish Whiskey and Bourbon over Scotch. For Irish, you can’t go wrong with Redbreast 12 Year. As for bourbon, the entire Buffalo Trace line of products is great if you can find them at retail. Seems like everyone of them is allocated these days. My personal favorites are Elmer T. Lee, E.H. Taylor, and Weller 12 Year (the Pappy 15 Year is pretty good too, but we can’t all ball out like @KushBandit). For something a little easier to find: Basil Hayden, Michter’s, and Old Forrester rarely disappoint.

But what do I know, my favorite go to whiskey is Don Julio 1942.

KushBandit

I'm Pretty Popular
13/8/18
Whisky-A-Go-Go
I tend to prefer Irish Whiskey and Bourbon over Scotch. For Irish, you can’t go wrong with Redbreast 12 Year. As for bourbon, the entire Buffalo Trace line of products is great if you can find them at retail. Seems like everyone of them is allocated these days. My personal favorites are Elmer T. Lee, E.H. Taylor, and Weller 12 Year (the Pappy 15 Year is pretty good too, but we can’t all ball out like @KushBandit). For something a little easier to find: Basil Hayden, Michter’s, and Old Forrester rarely disappoint.

But what do I know, my favorite go to whiskey is Don Julio 1942.
Funny enough, I got it a little over retail in store. I did have to wait in line for a few hours before the store opened up though when the batch was released.

Reactions: jkent83

Schumag

Supporter
31/5/22
West Midlands, UK
Any Aberlour speyside single malt would be a good start, super smooth! Have a look at Richard Paterson on YouTube too. Hilarious and informative.

Reactions: ticktockteo