• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fountain Pens

HNTR

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/16
Anyone else here collect fountain pens? Here’s my humble collection- at least part of it. Most of these pens are able to be ID’d by the pen clip, but if you have questions of any I’ll happily pull them out. Included pic of my gen MB146 since every topic in the sub forum is about montblanc. https://imgur.com/gallery/1seXsbS

SteelTime

Horology Curious
9/1/20
Canada
You've got a healthy collection there! I spot a couple I think I know. In terms of the overall writing experience, which one is your favorite? Do you have one that tends to be the daily driver?

Fairly modest collection myself of fountain pens, but I do enjoy them. Two Lamy's, a couple Muji's and a few vintage Parker 51's. Just the Lamys are currently inked, a Safari and a Scala. Need to dig out/locate some of my others. For me, my beat-up old plastic Safari has probably seen the most use. I never worried about it getting stolen and it became my go-to pen for work.

There was a time when I used to order ink samples and was more into it, but I largely just stick with a few basic tried and true options now.

HNTR

I'm Pretty Popular
17/2/16
You've got a healthy collection there! I spot a couple I think I know. In terms of the overall writing experience, which one is your favorite? Do you have one that tends to be the daily driver?

Fairly modest collection myself of fountain pens, but I do enjoy them. Two Lamy's, a couple Muji's and a few vintage Parker 51's. Just the Lamys are currently inked, a Safari and a Scala. Need to dig out/locate some of my others. For me, my beat-up old plastic Safari has probably seen the most use. I never worried about it getting stolen and it became my go-to pen for work.

There was a time when I used to order ink samples and was more into it, but I largely just stick with a few basic tried and true options now.

Ooh man where do I start. I would say top writing experience wise would be my Omas Gentelman, Pilot Myu, Lamy 2000, and MB146. All have their own merits. Omas is the smoothest writer, with the mb and lamy following, all are like writing on glass. I tuned the MB and lamy myself, Vintage omas’s just write like that out of the box.

I don’t daily drive any anymore, as I’m not in a job that won’t destroy them, but I used to go with the lamy 2000, just because it hides scratches very well on its makrolon body, and pockets nicely. Only downside to it is it likes to burp into the cap sometimes.

Reactions: VioletLotus

SteelTime

Horology Curious
9/1/20
Canada
I thought I knew a bit about FPs, but it's conversations like these that I realize how little I know. I just checked out the Omas and the Pilot Myu, neither of which I was familiar with.

I think there are parallels between FPs and mechanical watches so I'm surprised there isn't more discussion here.

I've never heard them called ink burps before, but that sums it up nicely. Ink on the fingers was one of the hazards.

I agree that there's a time and place for everything. If you're out in the rough and tumble, that's not the place for either tourbillons or fountain pens. :)

keisuke_z

Renowned Member
22/1/13
I thought I knew a bit about FPs, but it's conversations like these that I realize how little I know. I just checked out the Omas and the Pilot Myu, neither of which I was familiar with.

I think there are parallels between FPs and mechanical watches so I'm surprised there isn't more discussion here.

I've never heard them called ink burps before, but that sums it up nicely. Ink on the fingers was one of the hazards.

I agree that there's a time and place for everything. If you're out in the rough and tumble, that's not the place for either tourbillons or fountain pens. :)

I just stumbled into this sub forum! I collected FPs for awhile and obsessed with the Pilot Myu line. If you can get your hands on an Myu701, it is my hands down favourite of all time. The design and sleekness of it are timeless, and it just looks amazing with age.

Reactions: HNTR