• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

High Quality Replica Pens - Interested?

robbnj

11/6/09
What do you think of the quality of refills in the Narikaa ballpoint pens?
A member elsewhere told me they were N.G., but I'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart (visually and physically).

Which is the gen?
MBREFILL.jpg

MBREFILL2.jpg

I bought the twist model.
'Quite the pen for pocket change!

BestPensS1.jpg

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
What do you think of the quality of refills in the Narikaa ballpoint pens?
A member elsewhere told me they were N.G., but I'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart (visually and physically).

Which is the gen?
MBREFILL.jpg

MBREFILL2.jpg

I bought the twist model.
'Quite the pen for pocket change!

BestPensS1.jpg

A is genuine. Anyway montblanc have updated the refills now. The refills now have expiry dates on thr refills:

f41eb4d1.jpg

The montblanc pens reg had at the beginning were complete tat. waste of money. The new ones he is selling are in a complete different league.

Im going to buy reps from now on, so i can use them as daily beaters. The gens will remain in the house.

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
MOSH2K7 that's an impressive collection!

I love the sketch pencil .... am planning on making a few of my own for a range of colours .... (lead, and pencil body itself)

I hope one day to be able to start drawing again for pleasure and think it would be great to have a set of 5.6mm and 3mm sketch pens. Apparently they are often preferred by artists because the instrument always stays basically "the same" in the hand, as opposed to regular pencils that get smaller and smaller through use, thus affecting the balance/drawing position.

Won't help me much because I am a hack, but it enables me to use my other skills when I make them.

BTW I have always struggled to understand the benefit of the pen stand ... don't get me wrong, I love it - but do people actually remove and store their pen's original cap in favour of placing the pen into their pen stand?

That nib box is yummy - I love boxes and buy MB ones whenever I can afford them - I stupidly left an MB pen box (24 pens) behind at a pen show in Melbourne last year.... should have bought it but just didn't have the hundred bucks to get it at the time - called the owner a week later but it was long gone.

Oh and the nibs aren't interchangeable as far as I know, but I have never tested it as MB will not sell me a nib - if they did, I would actually buy all the LE nibs I could and make a display for my office wall.

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Thanks for posting that one Gr00V

That's an example of a Chinese response to repping to avoid legal action .... their ad says cartridge but it's a piston in the pics, so I don't know what's going on.

Funny how people think that by removing a logo you can avoid trouble!

here is a Meisterstuck ... ooops sorry ... a "crystal Heart"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CR15-CRYSTA...uipment_SM&hash=item231afdee2e#ht_4930wt_1163

278072834_o.jpg

Sorry - missed that last questions - yes, homage pens are common, when homage means knockoff ..... of course, quality is the first thing to disappear after the logo gets deleted

well i was perusing the bay checking out various bohemes when i stumbled upon this auction

From time to time they also try to compete in the ultra high-end part of the market, but seriously who would buy an ugly POS that cobbles together several different designs .... a beautiful illustration of how people do NOT understand or appreciate design.

It's like me saying I am a photographer because I have a $5000 camera - I am a hack with a camera! They are a factory with a bunch of pen making machinery and NO idea.

FIVE GRAND FOR THIS THING!!!! The only way I'd buy that for $5 g's is if someone gave me six grand to get it.

$(KGrHqUOKkUE2S!cTS4SBNzSTDVMsQ~~_3.JPG

... and IF they are putting this thing up (on ebay of all places .... classssyyyyy) as a marketing exercise to display their talents - then, oboy

Gr00v3

30/10/10
interesting, I wonder if the homage boheme comes from the same "factory" as the replica boheme. If i had an extra 50 dollars lying around, I'd probably pick up the crocodile pen just to do a compare/contrast. Alas, I do not so we may never know

Gr00v3

30/10/10
Btw, here is my daily workhorse fountain pen. Rotring surf. I used to daily carry it because my lamy would come undone in my pocket and leave ink all over my pants. Sadly the clip broke and has spent its days living on my desk.

d036279e-4d19-3f69.jpg

I love daily carrying a fp, but with my issues with the lamy, i knew i wanted a screw cap. I discovered the sailor plastic pens, but i never really looked into it due to the plastic clip, which is why i have high hopes that the boheme will fit the bill

Sent from my GT-N7000

Gr00v3

30/10/10
20120313_062844.jpg

Sorry, the picture messed up. Here it is again

Sent from my GT-N7000

robbnj

11/6/09
A is genuine. Anyway montblanc have updated the refills now. The refills now have expiry dates on thr refills:

The montblanc pens reg had at the beginning were complete tat. waste of money. The new ones he is selling are in a complete different league.

Close, but B is actually the genuine ballpoint cartridge.
A came out of the pen that Reg sent me last week.

I can't tell the diff. in writing with them either.

zaz

Known Member
24/8/11
Beautiful items!

Problem is that pens are becoming more deprecated day after day.. When was the last time any of you guys wrote a letter? The only thing I Use my MB for nowadays is signing a rent check, once every month.

Even watches have almost lost their main purpose (keeping and telling time) a long time ago, but at least the aesthetics/fashion aspect remains.

Sent from my iPhone

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Love that Rotring dude ... using my really nice but El Cheapo unbranded Chinese FP today .... and loving it .... I use it when doing edits on client's copy .... I think it helps

:D

jason99

Horology Curious
8/8/10
I agree with you zaz. My field is moving very quickly from hand written documents to doing everything on computers now. I still enjoy using a nice pen, even if it's limited to writing 1 check a month. Thanks too all of you, especially Steve (SERIPH) for all the information on this hobby.

Gr00v3

30/10/10
well my boheme and gandhi are slated to arrive today, pending i'm home when the mailman arrives. let's keep our fingers crossed that i am, rather than receiving a note saying i missed him. I'll have a review up later in the evening if that's the case

Gr00v3

30/10/10
Well I'm home. Spotted the post man starting his rounds in my neighborhood. Fortunately, mine is one of the last blocks in the area so I've got a few minutes to kill

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
MOSH2K7 that's an impressive collection!

I love the sketch pencil .... am planning on making a few of my own for a range of colours .... (lead, and pencil body itself)

I hope one day to be able to start drawing again for pleasure and think it would be great to have a set of 5.6mm and 3mm sketch pens. Apparently they are often preferred by artists because the instrument always stays basically "the same" in the hand, as opposed to regular pencils that get smaller and smaller through use, thus affecting the balance/drawing position.

Won't help me much because I am a hack, but it enables me to use my other skills when I make them.

BTW I have always struggled to understand the benefit of the pen stand ... don't get me wrong, I love it - but do people actually remove and store their pen's original cap in favour of placing the pen into their pen stand?

That nib box is yummy - I love boxes and buy MB ones whenever I can afford them - I stupidly left an MB pen box (24 pens) behind at a pen show in Melbourne last year.... should have bought it but just didn't have the hundred bucks to get it at the time - called the owner a week later but it was long gone.

Oh and the nibs aren't interchangeable as far as I know, but I have never tested it as MB will not sell me a nib - if they did, I would actually buy all the LE nibs I could and make a display for my office wall.

Thanks :) ive decided to focus on rep pens from now on. Real montblancs are far too expensive. i got a rep montblanc solitare ball point pen and ive dropped it 2 twice on a hard floor and the pen still remains intact. if it was any of my gens that fell, i would have been deeply worried. the resin versions on the gens are very brittle and easily shatter.

yeah the sketch pencil is awesome. i looks and feels great in the hand. brought it for £150 in a pen show :) it was brand new.

the pen stand is just for show, to display your pen. it mostly for pen who keep pens at home, like me. i understand what you mean about the cap. i just keep it in my nib selection box.

wow $100 bucks was extremely cheap for the box. im sure you'll find one soon.

watches and pens - cant get enough of them :)

Well I'm home. Spotted the post man starting his rounds in my neighborhood. Fortunately, mine is one of the last blocks in the area so I've got a few minutes to kill

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

any sign of the postman? suspense is killin us :)

Gr00v3

30/10/10
well, here's my review

i ordered the mont blanc gandhi and boheme from WE

20120319_142748.jpg

came packaged very nicely and took just a little over a week from start to finish to arrive at my door

20120319_142847.jpg

here are the pens next to my lamy safari. as you can see, the boheme is a bit smaller, which i think is perfect pocketable size, especiallywith the screw on cap so it won't accidentally come loose in your pocket

first impressions: the gandhi is BEAUTIFUL! wonderful heft, great build quality, it's just absolutely stunning.

the boheme? ehh, not so much. cheap plastic body, clip spin around the cap, and some quality issues which will be addressed later

20120319_143002.jpg

nibs

20120319_143111.jpg

20120319_143305.jpg

both pens came with converters, both different. I suppose the converter in the boheme is a bit shorter to accommodate the smaller body of the pen, but more on that later

here are the quality issues with the boheme

20120319_143358.jpg

if you look just below the silver bezel on the left hand side of it, you can see a black bubble

20120319_143410.jpg

if you look at the silver bezel here, you can see some bubbles on the bezel itself.

the gandhi on the other hand was an absolute joy to hold

20120319_143538.jpg

here's the serial number.

i can honestly find no wrong, other than the color of the jewel on the cap.

unfortunately, the converter did not work on the gandhi pen. When i first filled the converter, the ink would just leak out at the top backside of the nib with which i found out the hard way as seen below. then the piston seized when it reached the bottom and would not come back up. luckily, the converters were interchangeable but I will be emailing watch eden to see if they can rectify the situation.

20120319_145453.jpg

because the converters could be swapped, i tried the gandhi first. It took a bit of goading, but after about 30 seconds of scratching paper, the ink started to flow. a bit thinly at first, not a very wet nib, but broad. It felt smooth and wasn't too bad to write with. unfortunately, the nib would find some dry spots, but if you held it at the right position, it was a joy to write with. the weight of the pen and smoothness of the nib provided a pleasurable experience.

Next up, was the boheme. I swapped the converters again, and immediately brought the nib to paper. this pen took a little less time to acclimate to writing duties and in about ten seconds, ink started to flow from the nib. Unlike the Gandhi, the nib wrote fairly consistently and just as smooth. Due to the materials of the pen, the weight felt just like cheap plastic Rotring beater pen.

20120319_145404.jpg

the ink used was noodler's midhnight blue. The boheme on the left and Gandhi on the right

20120319_145423.jpg

here you can see the inconsistencies of the Gandhi

20120319_145431.jpg

here you can see the broad strokes and consistency of the boheme

conclusion: I'm fairly pleased and displeased with the transaction

pleased: the gandhi looks and feels incredible. I hope with more breaking in, the nib will be more consistent.

The boheme great pocketable size, consistent nib

displeased: build quality of the boheme. from 5 feet, it may pass, but as soon as you hold it, you will know immediately it is a knockoff.

Gandhi, inconsistent nib, and faulty converter.

Overall i spent just around 110 dollars after shipping from WE. Would I pay 60 dollars for the gandhi? I don't think so, maybe if it was 40, it would be a better deal, especially with the problems

would i pay 40 dollars for the Boheme? No. Not a chance. If it were 20, maybe, maybe not. if the pen was polished a little better, or made with better quality materials, it would justify the 50 dollar price tag.

I'll follow up with my thoughts in a couple weeks after writing with them more and more. Hopefully the pens can use universal cartridges as i have a few of them.

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
Thank you for the great review. The gandhi pen looks beautiful :) I brought a skeleton rep and it had the same nib as yours. its very scratchy. nowhere as good as the gen nibs. gen montblanc nibs ( not limited edition) can readily be found on ebay. now i was wondering if a gen nib can be fitted somehow into the gandhi pen? that would make an awesome pen, even though the nib would be incorrect for this model. The boheme looks like complete tat. with rep pens, you need to actually feel them in your hands before purchasing them. pictures always makes things look better thsnnthry actually are. would you be buying anymore rep pens?