• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

High Quality Replica Pens - Interested?

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Hi folks

I am thinking about compiling a group of images etc. relating to high quality (near perfect but usually not 100%) Montblanc pens.

My collection (maybe 60 pens) has been assembled over a number of years and includes some great items, which may not be available any longer ...

I can include certain cautionary tales of how I quite magnificently buggered things up when trying to locate RELIABLE suppliers.

Anyway, this won't happen without support and contribution by more than just me ... like watches, there are literally hundreds of scam sites or sites which supply rubbish products. It seems members would benefit from this thread, but I don't want to assume that this is the case nor do I want (no offence) to do a bunch of work photographing and reviewing pens and suppliers if there isn't any real benefit.

Just to be clear, my expertise runs to Montblanc replicas (and originals of course) ... the other pens available from dealers, i.e. Dupont, Cartier etc. are not brands I am expert in.

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
1st REVIEW - George Bernard Shaw Writer's Edition Pen

Montblanc GEORGE BERNARD SHAW - Writer's Edition

released: 2008

Available as a Fountain Pen, Ballpoint Pen and Pencil (when in set)

Production Volume

FP - 16,000 price around $1200
BP - 18,000 price around $1000
SETS - 4,000 price around $3000

20080707_Montblanc_Limited-Writers-Edition_George-Bernard-Shaw_2_lowres.jpg

CAVEAT: This review will get more detailed when my replacement is delivered. The first one had a cracked top and was returned for replacement.

RECEIVED: MB GBS Rolling Ball fantasy (not available as original)

mont_blanc_george_bernard_shaw_pen2.png

The colour and weight of the pen is very good when compared with the original. This is a very difficult pen to copy perfectly because it is made using naturally occurring materials, i.e. reconstituted crushed marble. That said, I find the quality (apart from the faulty cap) to be exceptional.

The 'rings' all fit nicely and the signature on the cap was excellent.

At the date of writing this, no fountain pen is available - ballpoint and rolling ball only.

As far as I know, no one makes MB replica mechanical pencils. I believe this all has to do with likely sales volumes over anything else, because both the fountain pens and pencils are made using the same housings as the RB and BP. Some models are available as Fountain Pens and I will state such, when posting.

I have ordered the ballpoint version of this and have asked that a request for a fountain pen version be sent to the makers .... we'll see. If the BP is made to the same standard as the RB I received, then it would be a very acceptable pen from anyone wanting a beautiful pen.

BTW in my experience, all replicas will take genuine refills and apart from true MB stores, all dealers have 'compatible' refills available at around 1/2 to 1/3rd the price of the gens.

I usually buy a few rep refills when I buy my pens.

PRICE:

This is around a $70 - $90 replica, making it in the upper price range. I bought mine from/through watcheden, along with a replica Thomas Mann (claimed to be 1:1.... isn't) a Mahatma Gandhi (claimed 1:1 ... isn't) Mark Twain (very poor copy) and a good gold Boheme.

NOTE: None of the names above are what dealers call them. They all seem totally unaware of which models are represented. This is understandable considering they display up to 1200 models. Most of them are fantasies, but like the watch world, to many folks, this matters less than how nicely made they are.

WARNING: It seems no amount of effort or requests for clarification/confirmation results in receiving accurate information about availability ... the time-honoured "yes yes, we have in stock, send money" can often result in paying, then being told X isn't available, choose another one.

Frustrating? Sure - but that's what we all signed up for when we entered this world

:D

... hope this is helpful, but let me know if I can provide further information. What I might do is post a bunch of pics to illustrate some of the better pens that are available.

newbie2replicas

20/12/09
It looks like an impressive rep - thank you for sharing and educating... But you know you're going to get me spending money now, right? ;-)

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
If you rolled up the ties nice and tightly, they'd make great watch pillows...

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
Christ. :facepalm:

does_want_trollcat.jpg

I thought I was done "collecting" things. Watches, cigars, bass guitars. Now I need to start collecting replica MB pens. My wife's gonna LOVE this.

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Wiscrna these are originals - as soon as I receive the replacement pen from the suppliers and can hopefully attest to its quality, I will provide links .... if they are not going to be of the right standard, I don't wanna be the one who made everyone think they were going to get something they're not.

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
Understood, seriph. I have to tell you...I'm quite smitten by this. I have one custom made pen, that was given to me by the QUITE lovely ahw676, and I use it all the time.

I would almost feel guilty, like I was cheating on her, but this GBS is...quite striking. I'm glad you started this thread.

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Thanks! Glad you like the GBS - I think you're going to be impressed by some of the other eye candy I will be posting .... just have to make sure I am crystal clear about which are for simple appreciation and which can be bought ex-China.

in the meantime here is one I just sent off to someone - it isn't a Montblanc, rather it is a Dragon. (Both companies make a Jules Verne, but they're completely different) - anyway I just think this is a very funky pen .... not the most impressive by a longshot, but yummy regardless.

fullsize21.jpg

And continuing the nautical theme ... with a bit of steampunk thrown in for good measure

GraphyscafSteampunkpen.jpg

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
and one more ..... This pen is by Curtis Pens Australia - handmade in precious resin and investment-cast silver. Alan Curtis is a world renowned jewellery maker and silversmith. His pens sell mostly to US buyers but I bought this one for a mate's 50th birthday ... a bunch of us pooled our money to buy it

box is by me, made using Australian Blackwood (milled in 1961, the year of his birth - coincidence but a very nice one) from the birthday boy's family farm - was a nice project

BoxCurtis.jpg

BoxCurtis3.jpg

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
There will be a further delay in reviewing the rep pen that I first referred to because of delays in receiving the pens - we'll get there eventually, but there are some QC issues to do with ensuring the colours are as good as they can reasonably be.

... I will take a look at my pen drawer and select another to review shortly.

I think this would be a nice one to review - it is the Montblanc Ernest Hemingway which was the first Writer's Edition pen produced by MB in 1992.

le_bg_we_hemingway_2.ashx

3264g.jpg