• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

High Quality Replica Pens - Interested?

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Initially, here is some information about the pen itself, with acknowledgement to the MB website:

Launch: 2009
Limitation:
12,000 fountain pens
15,000 ballpoint pens
6,000 rollerballs
3,000 sets comprising fountain pen, ballpoint pen and mechanical pencil

Rhodium-plated 18 K gold nib engraved with the “Buddenbrook” house
Barrel in precious black lacquer with multilayered inlays
Platinum-plated clip set with onyx-coloured zircon
Ivory-coloured Montblanc emblem

________

And about the man(same source):

Thomas Mann’s masterpiece “Buddenbrooks” has brought him immortality and has turned him into one of the most famous writers of the 20th century. Montblanc is paying tribute to this unique wordsmith with an equally unique Writers Edition. The platinum-plated inlays in the rich black lacquer of this writing instrument are inspired by the age of artistic creativity in which Thomas Mann lived: the Art Deco era. The interplay of colours and materials symbolises the different relationships between the characters in “Buddenbrooks”.

_____

And my info: He was a prolific author writing novels and short stories for more than 50 years. Being German, and living through that country's darkest times, Mann wrote with depth and great insight about humanity - that said, he also wrote with great humour which disarmed and engaged me as I went through the few of his works I read. Mann spoke out against the annihilation of the Jewish people (and all genocide) and was among the first to publicly state that it was Nazi policy. I feel this was important for two reasons - first, it exposed the party's true ideals and second, because he convinced the British government to broadcast more than 40 speeches around this subject, in both English AND German from 1940 via radio equipment powered and placed in such a manner as to guarantee the broadcasts reached Germany and German-held countries.

He was called before the Committee for Unamerican Activities because of his support for communism. A controversial character for most of his life, Mann never shied away from publicity nor did he have any issue speaking about his sexuality in a time when to do so was more than frowned upon.

His most widely read book is probably THE MAGIC MOUNTAIN, which again runs the entire field of critical opinion.

Anyway, I hear you all saying "enough boring stuff about a dead author!"

:D

I will get on with the review of the rep pen

SOURCE: China
COST: $80
ACCURACY: 1:1 claimed - actual, I'd give it a 7 out of 10.

Material: copper, painted in high gloss black with gold screen printed detailing.

Signature on cap - printed in gold.

Colour: Black and gold, making it a fantasy model owing ot the fact that the genuines are black and silver.

Weight: approximates the genuine I believe

Metal trims: all gold finish, including clip.

Stone: Black faceted solid (not translucent) as per original

Nib: nothing like the original of course, which has an engraved representation of the Buddenbrook house.

Serial Number: no - the original has the limitation number (eg. 1245/15000) around the uppermost cap section and the serial number on the clip's band which runs around the cap.

This is a good looking pen, with a nice weight to it. It feels substantial in the hand and while mine is a fountain pen, I think it is available in rolling ball as well, for those wanting a more practical writing instrument.

The cap, which as usual, contains the logo, unscrews nicely and does not make the usual squeaky sound of the cheaper versions, when removing or refitting it. The top of the cap flairs very nicely, but is a little more pronounced than the pics I have seen of the original.

AND SO TO THE PICTURES - Taken using an Olympus e-volt DSLR with a 14 - 45 mm Carl Zeiss lens, with a VERY average photographer attached.

Post Production done using Photoshop CS

GENERAL SHOT in an El Cheapo Chinese box

Mann3.jpg

Mann4.jpg

Mann5.jpg

Mann7.jpg

Mann8.jpg

Mann9.jpg

A FEW ESOTERIC SHOTS for the hell of it

Mann.jpg

Mann13.jpg

Mann14.jpg
Mann15.jpg

Let me know if I missed something you wanted to know.....

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
wow that pen looks gorgeous! i want one! the nib is a big let down again! :( The gold colour looks superb! even though its not the same colour as the gen, i prefer this colour :) im just going to get the rollerball and ballpoint version :) thank you for the detailed review and great photos :)

was the garnet you used on the gandi pen a genuine natural garnet or a lab made stone? how much does it cost roughly to as a stone to the pen? :)

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Mosh - I bought several of different sizes in order to get it as close to gen as possible .... garnets are only semi precious so readily available. The issue is that being a naturally occurring material, the colour variation can be significant ... having never seen this pen IRL I trawled for as many hi-res images as I could find, then searched for a jeweller willing to take on the task. Unfortunately as mentioned, he put in a cabochon not a faceted gemstone. The colour was perfect in my eyes and I have a fair eye for such things. He apologised profusely for his error and refunded me half the cost ($35) of his work.

HEre is an example of how different lighting and conditions can make the stone look different

gandhi-1.jpg

Gandhi2.jpg

Since then I have sold the pen on to a friend but will do it all over again as soon as my new pens arrive ... I will also dull down the shiny finish of the FP as I don't believe it is correct. If I could get the pen in component form, I would actually customise one by copper plating all the metals, then hit it with a solution I have here that would make it all look like old water pipe. I think the effect would really be great, but I am not prepared to risk destroying one to get it apart, as the bits are pressed.

Thanks for the feedback on the Thomas Mann - I will feed through a couple more reviews as time permits ... I know they are taking a while, but life ....

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
Mont blanc - Mahatma Gandhi Review

This was one of the pens that i initally overlooked. It was only when i started to read this thread, i got interested in this pen. I admit, it does look good :) The gen is only avaliable as a fountain pen and rollerball. As you can see from my pictures, the pattern on the pen is inconsistent and the paint is also inconsistent in several places. Thicker in some areas and lighter in others. A few areas also look slightly worn, but thats to be expected of a pen that costs around $38 (£24). Im overall pleased with the pens and the heft of the pens is great and feel nice in the hand and very comfortable to write with. As you can see i got the fountain pen, rollerball and ballpoint. All 3 pens have different coloured diamonds (but not the right colour - ARRRAHHHH). The fountain pen is horrible to write with. The nib is very scratchy! The ballpoint and rollerball work great and accept gen refills!

DSC03086.jpg

DSC03087.jpg

DSC03088.jpg

DSC03089.jpg

DSC03091.jpg

DSC03092.jpg

DSC03094.jpg

DSC03097.jpg

DSC03098.jpg

DSC03099.jpg

DSC03100.jpg

DSC03101.jpg

DSC03102.jpg

DSC03103.jpg

DSC03104.jpg

DSC03105.jpg

DSC03106.jpg

DSC03107.jpg

DSC03108.jpg

DSC03109.jpg

DSC03111.jpg

DSC03112.jpg

DSC03113.jpg

DSC03114.jpg

DSC03115.jpg

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Great pics and review - many thanks ..... the nibs need running in a fair bit but they get there in the end I am told .... I intend using mine as a daily writer so it will be interesting to see how long the running in takes ... if it doesn't work out (but it has on all my others) then I will get the nib calibrated/serviced locally.

The fountain pen may be slightly different from the one I am getting - the end looks slightly different and perhaps the machining of the 'twine' around each end - not sure though .... mine shipped today, so I should have them in around 12 days. I'll report back then ....

I think I will do a review of the Ingrid Bergman or the Ernest Hemingway next

On second inspection of the pics I was sent, I believe the pens are the same as the ones I will be getting ....

I'll definitely be replacing their crystals .... I still don't really understand why they refused to make the FPs with those crystals instead of one that approximates the actual - a mystery none of us has the energy to think about.

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
As it looks like my pen order will take considerably longer than anticipated, I will write a review of a couple of other pens - BTW I will be receiving a number of spectacular MB booklets in the next week to ten days ... these are usually only available to 'buyers' but a friend in the UK told me there was an Alfred Hitchcock book available, which I bought for around $25 del'd, and another one which I think will be something very special - it is a book about the people who received MB awards ... tells some of their stories and I believe, which pens they received.... it will be great for my research and the hobby in general.

BTW anyone with an authorised MB pen dealer close-ish by, do go and see the amazing quality of the real things .... they are seriously beautiful, esp. the Princess Grace series.

hartdoc

14/9/11
Great thread guys.

I do have a question.

Do you think the george bernad shaws or any of the other rep FP nibs can be replaced with a #5 brock nib.

Does anyone have a fav. rep pencil.

Here are a list of my pens. I know my list doesnt match the other members pen collections but I go for how great a pen write and nibs vs how pretty they are. I got the Narika pens because of they got great reviews. They are ok but they need nib work. But the pens themselves are good for the money. I would be more likely to stay away from rep FP but get a good rep BP or RB any day.

1) MB 149 -fine nib
2) MB 146 - fine nib
3) MB bohme - medium nib
4) Visconti - room in arles - medium nib
5) Twsbi 540 ROC - fine,medium, broad, and 1.1 stub nibs - Awesome pen for the price. with all the nibs it cost ~ $200
6) Namiki VP - fine nib
7) Narika rep MB 144 - fine/med nib
8) Narika rep MB 144 -ballpoint
9 )Narika rep MB 144 rollerball
10) Narika rep MB 333 - fine/med nib
11) Narika rep MB starwalker - fine/med nib
12) Lamy safari - fine nib - my first fountain.
13 ) Custom edison pearl with custom nibs (italic OB, stub, needle fine) being made now.

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Agree about staying with rolling ball and ballpoint replicas, unless one has access (or the ability) to competent nib work.

-- would love to see pics and basic reviews of the Visconti, TWSBI 540 and Custom Edison.

Regarding replica pencils - my choice would be a Cervantes pencil, but no replica pencils are being made - surprises me actually as Americans use pencil a lot and I would have thought that was the largest market - but of course, I am only really interested in Limited Editions and pencils only came as part of sets so perhaps they are simply not popular enough.

I use a Jean Pierre Lepine Sketch Pencil and it is frankly yummy, but of course this is not a pencil to write with - when I design my own range of instruments I think I will make a one-off set of coloured sketch pencils all in the same style, but of resins that compliment the colours of the 'leads.'

So back on the writing pencils - I had intended to take my 'second' Cervantes ballpoint pen (same housing as the mech pencil) down to Melbourne to get a pen servicing technician to convert it for me, but I have heard too many tales of woe about how long the guy takes (6 months to 2 years) to service/repair items, so it will be either - do it on the spot, or sell me the bits, or walk. I just don't think it can be that difficult once a suitable insert is identified ... I would be happy to buy a bunch of cheapies that use the same/similar mechanisms and modify it to fit as a one-off

anyway - work beckons ... gotta pay at least a few bills

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
It has been mentioned that many of the replica fountain pens are not of a sufficient standard as to become daily writers .... I have to agree and while I do buy fountain pens to build my collection, I don't use them a lot. I have had some decent results with a Greta Garbo replica pen (all black fantasy model) but a GG I bought for a friend, has ended up back with me for use as spare parts ... it may be that there are better FPs out there, but I haven't found any that I'd call excellent writers so far, except for one Ernst Hemingway FP I have that writes beautifully.

So, when I review my pens, I will indicate which are available as FP, RB, BP, etc. I will usually add that sets include mechanical pencils, but it is worthwhile to note here that they are not available as reps and rarely offered for sale individually as gens though at times you can find them on eBay etc. I guess it has to do with the idea that prestige looks more like pens than the humble pencil.

Now for a little eye candy - here are the various boxes I have bought over time ... the 'narrow' ones are the only reps boxes ... the others are gens, bought from private sellers and cost between $60 and $230.

Hope this info is helpful and of interest

GeneralBoxShot.jpg

Hemingway.jpg

Hemingway2.jpg

This box contains a fantasy version of the MB Ingrid Bergman L'attrice. Original has a white barrel with rose gold metals.
MB-Bergman-Fantasy.jpg

This was by far the most expensive box I have ever bought .... at $230 (inc. delivery from Germany) I think it was Ok value, but I get why some of you might be thinking I am not firing on all cylinders

The pen itself is of average quality in these pics, but I now have a 1:1 which is near-perfect.

MB-GG-Box.jpg

MB-GG-Box5.jpg

MB-GG-Box4.jpg

MB-GG-Box1.jpg

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
Great pictures! i would never pay that much for a box. if your looking for cheap montblanc boxes, then go on ebay.de and search montblanc. this is because mont blanc is a german brand, so items are not usually shown on ebay.com or ebay.co.uk

I was on the verge of purchasing a montblanc vintage 146 fountain pen made in 1950 in celluloid with semi-flex nib and ivory coloured montblanc star on the cap. Only 30 seconds was remaining and the ebay app on my ipad 2 F****** crashed! pissed me off! pen sold for £104! the pen was listing wrong, otherwise it would have gone for over £250!

Anyway these are the only montblanc boxes that i had. all were the exact same standard version! all 100% genuine :)

DSC01392.jpg

DSC01389.jpg

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0644.jpg

DSC01385-2.jpg

DSC01386-1.jpg

Mont blanc 147 traveller fountain pen :)

Its a cartridge based meisterstuck fountain pen. similar to the 146 fountain pen. The nib is buttery soft and a pleasure to write with :) retail price is £490 ($783)

http://www.wheelersluxurygifts.com/...-meisterst-ck-le-grand-traveller-gold-plated/

Some quick snaps of the pen.

DSC03130.jpg

DSC03131.jpg

DSC03133.jpg

DSC03134.jpg

DSC03135.jpg

DSC03136.jpg

DSC03137.jpg

DSC03138.jpg

DSC03139.jpg

DSC03140.jpg

DSC03141.jpg

DSC03142.jpg

DSC03143.jpg

DSC03144.jpg

DSC03145.jpg

DSC03146.jpg

DSC03147.jpg

DSC03148.jpg

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Hi again folks .... my pens arrived the other day and I will have a chance to photograph and post some reflections on them tomorrow - thanks

I will be reviewing the George Bernard Shaw and Gandhi pens.

By the way, today I also received:

an exceptional Montblanc book celebrating the MB Patrons of The Arts ...

the Princess Grace book, which is also of the highest standard, and

the Alfred Hitchcock, Joseph 2nd and Gaius Maecenas catalogues.

They "cost" but I keep such things for life.

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Here is a sneak preview of the pens I'll be reviewing shortly -

GANDHI - This is just a little promo I put together for the hell of it.

GandhiPromo-LR.jpg

GEORGE BERNARD SHAW - Several images will follow, that illustrate the differences between the "old and new" offerings from the rep makers.

GBS1.jpg

enjoy

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
New Pens Reviewed Gandhi and Geo. B. Shaw

OK so I received these a few days ago and have to say I am happy with them (mostly)

GEORGE BERNARD SHAW

Launch: 2008
Limitation:
16,000 fountain pens
18,000 ballpoint pens
4,000 sets comprising fountain pen, ballpoint pen and mechanical pencil (no pencils are available as reps)

ORIGINAL GROUPING

GBshaw_lg.jpg

NOTE: No rolling ball was produced in this series. I am uncertain as to the reasons that MB produce some of their Limited Edition pens in FP RB BP and MP versions and others, not. (Reps are available in RB.)

Rhodium-plated 18 K gold nib with flower engraving
Body in dark green marbled luxury resin with platinum-plated fittings
Montblanc emblem made of ivory-coloured antique resin

ORIGINAL BALLPOINT

GBSGEN1.jpg

Note the size of the "fleck" in the marble - this is the biggest give away between the gen and all reps - that said, I have seen three gens and they were NOT exactly the same .... I attribute this to the fact that a natural material has been used and therefore variation is to be expected and accepted.

What MB do though, is ensure caps and barrels match perfectly - something the rep makers also attempt but not to the same degree of course.

ORIGINAL FOUNTAIN PEN

GBSGEN2.jpg

OK TO THE REPS

First of all I will say that these pens would be challenging to get perfect, but I feel these are great examples of nicely made copies.

Some may recall that I originally ordered the GBS some months back and the one I received had a damaged MB logo in the cap - I have now received the "replacements." The original pen was returned to me as well, because of the colour variation in the marble.

As usual, the fountain pen nibs are nothing like the read deal .... when I ink these up, I will add a review of their performance.

The suppliers were able to supply a ballpoint in the same darker green, but no longer had access to the fountain pen in the same shade.

So .... I received a pair of the darker ones (the first one sent back and a new ballpoint) - I also bought two of the new offering in the lighter green to add to my collection and so ppl could see the differences.

Here is a pic comparing the two shades:

GBS5.jpg

-- you can see that the limitation is 8,000 on each pen. This is incorrect against MB's stated numbers.

The key differences are the 'grain' size and colour of the marble/resin. Also there is some variation in the diameter of the metals compared to the marble, but it is slight and would be a huge PITA to get right due to different characteristics of the two materials.

To me, the weight feels about the same as the gen - the overall finish is excellent across all versions ... put simply, they look like money.

:)

Anyway I am very happy with these and at around $70 feel they are great value from WATCHEDEN though I know it is possible to get cheaper examples.

Some pics for information and fun

Lighter green FP
GBS6.jpg
GBS9.jpg

Darker green version of the FP

GBS2.jpg
Lighter RB
GBS8.jpg

Lighter cap showing signature detail

GBS010.jpg

GBS012.jpg

The GANDHI will be my next review - hope this was of some value

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
And so, to the Gandhi - this will not be word-heavy as there has already been an excellent review of this pen.

Launch: October 2009
Limitation: 3,000 fountain pens and 3,000 rollerballs

Piston fountain pen and rollerball
925 sterling silver with fine textile structure on lacquered cap and barrel
mandarin garnet above clip ring (approx. 0.11 ct)
Hand-crafted rhodium-plated 18 K gold nib
Ivory-coloured Montblanc emblem

THIS IS A GENUINE - NOTE THAT THE CAP AND BARREL ARE SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT - this is probably why the 1:1 rep is that way too...

1305498677IMG_55821.jpg

This is how you should receive the gen

1305498666IMG_55801.jpg

Launch: October 2009
Limitation: 241 fountain pens

750 solid white gold fountain pen with piston converter, with a fine hand brushed linen structure on cap and barrel
Fever opal on the clip (approx. 0.1 ct)
Hand-crafted rhodium-plated 18 K gold nib
Montblanc emblem in mother-of-pearl

This is the lovely 241 Limited Edition, with the 5 metres of silver thread wrapped around the barrel .... can't imagine what Gandhi would have thought of that!

montblanc-mahatma-gandhi-1jpgpagespeedceR3ony4HvFm.jpg

Though the heritage of both is clearly the same, you can see that this pen is quite different from the other - even the stone is a different shape

montblanc-mahatma-gandhi-5jpgpagespeedcetletx0mAC0.jpg

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Only the 3000 series has been replicated to a reasonable standard - any sites displaying a pen which looks like the 241 series (number of miles Gandhi walked to the ocean on his "salt walk") are either pics of the gen or horrendous approximations.

GROUP - REPS (garnets added using photoshop, but I have genuine stones to put in)

Gandhi2-Garnet.jpg

GROUP - CAPPED

Gandhi10.jpg

PROFILE SHOT showing very slight difference in finish between cap and barrel - note: the genuine is very slightly different too, which was BIG a surprise!

Gandhi9.jpg

LIMITATION NUMBER - incorrect as 3000 were scheduled for production and that's what appears on the gen. even though production halted due to bad press.

Gandhi8.jpg

And some general shots/esoterics showing a bit of basic detail

Gandhi18.jpg

Gandhi17.jpg

Gandhi16.jpg

Gandhi15.jpg

Gandhi14.jpg

And finally this weird shot that resulted from an error in my editting, but I liked it so kept it

Gandhi6-Esoteric.jpg

ENJOY

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
Awesome review!! Great contribution to the thread. Love the pens. Its a real addiction :) ive given up on the rep fountain pens. They write stiff as a nail. Love my ballpoints and rollerballs. Worth every penny :)

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Thanks Mosh!

Seen this?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZLJKkn3FOU&feature=player_embedded"]Upgrading your nib on a component fountain pen - YouTube[/ame]

........ just wondering if there might be a BOCK nib that'd make your FP experience as much fun as your others .... of course.

I am always wanting to add to my collection and will keep folkd posted on what I come up with

http://www.nibs.com/KitPenNibs.htm

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
Heres a quick update of my recent purchases. Ive brought 4 different montblanc pens. Here are some quick snaps of the pens:

1. Mont blanc - classique diamond black platinum finish meistertuck ballpoint pen:

0dcf9e1c.jpg

0e1f9feb.jpg

df7123c0.jpg

5d2b040d.jpg

26123e0a.jpg

30881c4a.jpg

2. Mont blanc - 100th anniversary diamond black starwalker ballpoint pen:

74ddc347.jpg

17774c95.jpg

1e903cd7.jpg

51907c8d.jpg

d1fb9c7d.jpg

c8b062a7.jpg

fb8bc483.jpg

75a35214.jpg

3. Mont blanc - Thomas mann writers edition ballpoint pen

7cee7b46.jpg

b045ffb6.jpg

5e33a41d.jpg

8d798916.jpg

4. Mont blanc - Classique carbon steel solitaire fountain pen:

2264bbdf.jpg

cca28dfe.jpg

3710a941.jpg

01ea13bb.jpg

da5033cf.jpg

736a9451.jpg

a764210f.jpg

7dd0fb78.jpg

09548e53.jpg

Group photo of the pens :)

9dcb043a.jpg

83b68591.jpg

2c896d88.jpg

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Nice one - the diamonds are what I expected from the reps .... that said, your pics are big so I imagine the diamonds look fine IRL.

Very interested to know if the Thomas Mann looks and feels OK - I 'believe' it may be the less expensive version, being silver but it looks great to me in those pics. In fact looking again, apart from the name being a bit too thick, the detail looks excellent .... serial and limitation numbers etc.

Is the "carbon" actual carbon fibre or a print of some kind? How does it write? I want that nib ... in fact, I'd replace all the nibs in my pens with that one if I could get it .... hmmmm

Again, thanks heaps for a great contribution - I have a Mark Twain, Jules Verne and a Pope Julius on their way to me today apparently .... we'll see what I end up with!

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
Nice one - the diamonds are what I expected from the reps .... that said, your pics are big so I imagine the diamonds look fine IRL.

Very interested to know if the Thomas Mann looks and feels OK - I 'believe' it may be the less expensive version, being silver but it looks great to me in those pics. In fact looking again, apart from the name being a bit too thick, the detail looks excellent .... serial and limitation numbers etc.

Is the "carbon" actual carbon fibre or a print of some kind? How does it write? I want that nib ... in fact, I'd replace all the nibs in my pens with that one if I could get it .... hmmmm

Again, thanks heaps for a great contribution - I have a Mark Twain, Jules Verne and a Pope Julius on their way to me today apparently .... we'll see what I end up with!

Hi

The diamond actually looks really good and looks real in the starwalker pen. Only problem is that the diamond off centre in the pen and not fitted straight. The pen looks and feels the part. I was really hesitant in purchasing the starwalker pen, because ive had horrible experience of buy replica starwalker pens. The last one i had fell apart twice. Both times all the black colour chipped away from where you grip the pen to write with and thus exposing the brass core inside the pen. This version looks entirely made from plastic, so looks and feels like a quality pen. So hopefully it shouldnt ave this problem. Only thing missing on the pen is the serial number.*

The diamond in the classique ballpoint pen looks too big and looks plastic. Plus it not fitted straight in the middle. Its off centre. The pen also feels abit on the cheap side and is very light. But its really nice to write with and i really like it. Perfect pen for a daily writer.

The thomas mann ballpoint pen is amazing. The quality is outstanding. Just look at the detail in the serial number! Looks exactly like the gen. The pen is heavy and doesnt feel cheap at all. This pen was avaliable in 3 different versions, silver colour, gold colour and rose gold colour. I chose the silver colour because the gen is also only avaliable in silver colour. I didnt realise the different quality versions of the thomas mann existed in the reps. I assumed all the thomas mann pens were the same quality. I heard people saying that the thomas mann pen was very cheap looking, but mine looks and feels exactly how a gen pen should.

Now we come to the carbon steel fountain pen. Im pleased to say that the pen has real carbon steel. :) The only thing that is going to disappoint you iis that you will never find that nib in a replica pen. This is becuase the carbon steel fountain pen is actually 100% genuine. You have got a very sharp eye :) i was shocked to find out that the retail price for the carbon steel fountain pen in the uk is £665!!!*