Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant wait for pics!

Comment

Well I'm home. Spotted the post man starting his rounds in my neighborhood. Fortunately, mine is one of the last blocks in the area so I've got a few minutes to kill

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by seriph, post: 962510
        MOSH2K7 that's an impressive collection!

I love the sketch pencil .... am planning on making a few of my own for a range of colours .... (lead, and pencil body itself)

I hope one day to be able to start drawing again for pleasure and think it would be great to have a set of 5.6mm and 3mm sketch pens. Apparently they are often preferred by artists because the instrument always stays basically "the same" in the hand, as opposed to regular pencils that get smaller and smaller through use, thus affecting the balance/drawing position.

Won't help me much because I am a hack, but it enables me to use my other skills when I make them.

BTW I have always struggled to understand the benefit of the pen stand ... don't get me wrong, I love it - but do people actually remove and store their pen's original cap in favour of placing the pen into their pen stand?

That nib box is yummy - I love boxes and buy MB ones whenever I can afford them - I stupidly left an MB pen box (24 pens) behind at a pen show in Melbourne last year.... should have bought it but just didn't have the hundred bucks to get it at the time - called the owner a week later but it was long gone.

Oh and the nibs aren't interchangeable as far as I know, but I have never tested it as MB will not sell me a nib - if they did, I would actually buy all the LE nibs I could and make a display for my office wall.
        Thanks ive decided to focus on rep pens from now on. Real montblancs are far too expensive. i got a rep montblanc solitare ball point pen and ive dropped it 2 twice on a hard floor and the pen still remains intact. if it was any of my gens that fell, i would have been deeply worried. the resin versions on the gens are very brittle and easily shatter.

yeah the sketch pencil is awesome. i looks and feels great in the hand. brought it for £150 in a pen show it was brand new.

the pen stand is just for show, to display your pen. it mostly for pen who keep pens at home, like me. i understand what you mean about the cap. i just keep it in my nib selection box.

wow $100 bucks was extremely cheap for the box. im sure you'll find one soon.

watches and pens - cant get enough of them

Originally posted by Gr00v3, post: 967992
        Well I'm home. Spotted the post man starting his rounds in my neighborhood. Fortunately, mine is one of the last blocks in the area so I've got a few minutes to kill

any sign of the postman? suspense is killin us

Comment

well, here's my review

i ordered the mont blanc gandhi and boheme from WE

came packaged very nicely and took just a little over a week from start to finish to arrive at my door

here are the pens next to my lamy safari. as you can see, the boheme is a bit smaller, which i think is perfect pocketable size, especiallywith the screw on cap so it won't accidentally come loose in your pocket

first impressions: the gandhi is BEAUTIFUL! wonderful heft, great build quality, it's just absolutely stunning.

the boheme? ehh, not so much. cheap plastic body, clip spin around the cap, and some quality issues which will be addressed later

nibs

both pens came with converters, both different. I suppose the converter in the boheme is a bit shorter to accommodate the smaller body of the pen, but more on that later

here are the quality issues with the boheme

if you look just below the silver bezel on the left hand side of it, you can see a black bubble

if you look at the silver bezel here, you can see some bubbles on the bezel itself.

the gandhi on the other hand was an absolute joy to hold

here's the serial number.

i can honestly find no wrong, other than the color of the jewel on the cap.

unfortunately, the converter did not work on the gandhi pen. When i first filled the converter, the ink would just leak out at the top backside of the nib with which i found out the hard way as seen below. then the piston seized when it reached the bottom and would not come back up. luckily, the converters were interchangeable but I will be emailing watch eden to see if they can rectify the situation.

because the converters could be swapped, i tried the gandhi first. It took a bit of goading, but after about 30 seconds of scratching paper, the ink started to flow. a bit thinly at first, not a very wet nib, but broad. It felt smooth and wasn't too bad to write with. unfortunately, the nib would find some dry spots, but if you held it at the right position, it was a joy to write with. the weight of the pen and smoothness of the nib provided a pleasurable experience.

Next up, was the boheme. I swapped the converters again, and immediately brought the nib to paper. this pen took a little less time to acclimate to writing duties and in about ten seconds, ink started to flow from the nib. Unlike the Gandhi, the nib wrote fairly consistently and just as smooth. Due to the materials of the pen, the weight felt just like cheap plastic Rotring beater pen.

the ink used was noodler's midhnight blue. The boheme on the left and Gandhi on the right

here you can see the inconsistencies of the Gandhi

here you can see the broad strokes and consistency of the boheme

conclusion: I'm fairly pleased and displeased with the transaction

pleased: the gandhi looks and feels incredible. I hope with more breaking in, the nib will be more consistent.

The boheme great pocketable size, consistent nib

displeased: build quality of the boheme. from 5 feet, it may pass, but as soon as you hold it, you will know immediately it is a knockoff.

Gandhi, inconsistent nib, and faulty converter.

Overall i spent just around 110 dollars after shipping from WE. Would I pay 60 dollars for the gandhi? I don't think so, maybe if it was 40, it would be a better deal, especially with the problems

would i pay 40 dollars for the Boheme? No. Not a chance. If it were 20, maybe, maybe not. if the pen was polished a little better, or made with better quality materials, it would justify the 50 dollar price tag.

I'll follow up with my thoughts in a couple weeks after writing with them more and more. Hopefully the pens can use universal cartridges as i have a few of them.

Comment

Thank you for the great review. The gandhi pen looks beautiful I brought a skeleton rep and it had the same nib as yours. its very scratchy. nowhere as good as the gen nibs. gen montblanc nibs ( not limited edition) can readily be found on ebay. now i was wondering if a gen nib can be fitted somehow into the gandhi pen? that would make an awesome pen, even though the nib would be incorrect for this model. The boheme looks like complete tat. with rep pens, you need to actually feel them in your hands before purchasing them. pictures always makes things look better thsnnthry actually are. would you be buying anymore rep pens?

Comment

to be honest with you, no, i would not buy another replica pen. the cost is prohibitive. for the 110 i spent, i could have gotten a nice monte pen, or a couple lamy's and a cheap sailor. there are a bunch of different ways i could have spent the money and been happier with my purchases.

anyway, that's my opinion right now. i'm going to be test driving the two pens throughout the week and will follow up then.

btw, i was able to get the gandhi to write more consistently, the nib was not seated all the way into the pen

Comment

Originally posted by Gr00v3, post: 968397
                to be honest with you, no, i would not buy another replica pen. the cost is prohibitive. for the 110 i spent, i could have gotten a nice monte pen, or a couple lamy's and a cheap sailor. there are a bunch of different ways i could have spent the money and been happier with my purchases.

anyway, that's my opinion right now. i'm going to be test driving the two pens throughout the week and will follow up then.

btw, i was able to get the gandhi to write more consistently, the nib was not seated all the way into the pen
                Thank you for your honest opinion. The problem with rep pens is the nib. Rep ballpoint and rollerballs are good to buy, because you can always put gen refills inside. With rep pens, you can only sell them on rep forums. the gens can be sold anywhere.

Comment

Well the good news is, universal short cartridges work in the boheme.

I also had to do a bit of bending on the Gandhi nib, but it writes a bit nicer now

The boheme nib is much nicer to write with overall however. Shame about the body, I really want to love it

Oh, and the boheme has a deep reserve of ink. I've been writing quite a bit and the blue ink is still coming out instead of the purple

Comment

what is the quality control like on the gandhi pen? i assume the pen is painted cream coloured and can easily flake off? any cracks on the paint? watcheden has got the ghandi pen for $70. is that how much you paid for it?

Comment

i brought a george bernard shaw ballpoint pen and its absolutely stunning. The green marble effect looks gorgeous. The pen is very confortable and has got alot of heft to it. my favourate pen

will post pics in the morning, if requested

Comment

The Gandhi Rolling Ball I had was painted the correct colour and the paint was perfect. The finish had the same level of 'sheen' that the original has and overall, I give it an 8 out of 10 for presentation - the stone if the big letdown because even though the makers have orange/yellow stones that they use in another version, they don't put them in the two pens that are the closest match - not a very hard fix but it's ridiculous to have to do.

MOSH - can't wait! I 'think' yours may be lighter in colour than the gen but they are still a lovely pen - just make sure the MB logo is perfect ... the one I got had a cracked logo which is why I am trying to get replacements.

GROOV - the Gandhi fountain pen has been made as a result of my lobbying so I guess you got the first one - it is great that you were able to repair it .... I will ink mine as soon as I get it and report back to the group how it goes.

Did your Boheme come as a piston fill that you then stuck a cartridge into?

FURTHER POST - GROOV - Sincere apologies mate, I have not been on for several days due to attending a conference (god help me) for three days in another city and missed the fact that you reviewed your purchases.

I noticed the nib on the Gandhi was sitting too far out immediately as I now know you did as well ...

I agree about the Boheme - the ones I have here (think I have 5 or 6 left) do vary a little in quality but I only have one in FP format. I stopped collecting them in FP because they are too different from the gens ... as you all can see:

Also ... the Boheme has a retractable nib system which the Chinese wouldn't bother copying if they don't have to and of course, they don't...

But the 1:1 rolling ball versions I have are wonderful - if anyone would like a review I'd be pleased to provide one once I get a few bits and pieces organised
                        once, I had no idea that I had no idea .... but I really had no idea

Comment

i was wondering where you disappeared to

yeah will defo post high quality pictures of the pen in the morning. will do a good review on it. ive never seen the gen in person, so you'll be able to tell me if the colour is similar.

please do a review of the 1:1 rolling ball version. you going to make me spend more money

if it wasnt for your inital post about the bernard shaw pen, i would have never even considered buying it. i honestly didnt know the rep makers could made such a stunning rep of the original. amazing

Comment

HERE IS A REVIEW OF THE MONTBLANC GEORGE BERNARD SHAW BALLPOINT PEN:

ive never seen the original in person, but this replica looks identical to the original when comparing it to the pictures found online. The pictures dont do justice to how good the pen actually looks when seen in person. This pen is extremely well built and is quite heavy. It fits perfectly into the hand and is very comfortable to use. The green marble colour looks really nice. Gen refills fit the pen The pen has a serial number and the fit and finish on the pen is perfect.

Here are pictures of the actual pen:

I also purchased a fantasy george bernard shaw rollerball pen aswell. The fit and finish is identical to the ballpoint reviewed above. As you can see, the colour on the rollerball doesnt match the colour on the ballpoint. The rollerball has got a slightly more lighter green marble effect. Its still a really nice looking pen.

Both pens are absolutely stunning. These pens are completely different to the usual crap replicas that you find online. I brought these from a different dealer online. I paid around $35 for each pen and $20 for shipping by ems and 4% for paypal fee. I hope this review has been useful.

Comment

(sigh) can somebody PM me a link so I can buy one of these ^%ing pens? I've been waiting for...just shy of forever....
                              Reps: Rolex DSSD (2836), Rolex Submariner (21J), Rolex Daytona (7750), IWC Antoine De St Exupery (7750)

Gens: TX 730 Classic Flyback Chronograph, Suunto Observer, Tissot PRC 200 Chronograph

Comment

Very nice review thanks - the difference in colour between the two pens is why I am trying to get the 'faulty' pen I bought, returned to me as it will NOT match the ballpoint, which is closer in colour to the original.

To clarify, what I have done is: buy the first GBS rolling ball (not actually available genuine) which was the correct colour but had the cracked MB logo - pretty HUGE issue I think you all will agree.

-- returned it for replacement only to be told that the precise colour is on longer available and as usual, to choose something else.

-- asked for the pen to be returned to me along with another cap so I could replace the logo myself (or at least try to)

-- buy two further examples of this model in BP and RB formats but in the lighter green so at least I would have a set.

Man, if anyone IS NOT confused by all that, please explain it to me!

... annnnnnnnyway, your pens are lovely and though we all know they aren't 100% copies, they are close. The colour of both is off but the darker one is closer (BTW the MB ones are matched for sets only, and do not perfectly match in single units) but because these pens are made from naturally occurring stone that has been crushed and glued together, some variance must be expected. More evident though, is the size of the pieces used in the reps but again, it doesn't matter - they are beautifully made pens in their own right and don't need the MB logo on the top to make them so.

The signature is a lot more coarse than the original, being done with a milling machine bit, as opposed to the Montblanc diamond-scribing process, but short of taking a photo like you have which reveals the milling swirls, it is indistinguishable.

Again, no one (other than dills) expects these to be perfect replicas of $2,000 pens, but they are excellent in their own right.

... which leads me to another point - does anyone really believe the Chinese will simply continue making reps instead of eventually retaining their own designers? And when they do, it could be 'game over' for the rest of us, seeing as we begged them to take all our manufacturing capabilities, machines, Intellectual Property, etc. so we could buy stuff back from them cheap.

Anyone who'd like to debate the above point, I invite you to read about post-WW2 Japan ... Made in Japan used to be the derogatory term we used for crappy copies .... not so much now, huh?

I bought the pens which started this thread through watcheden

once, I had no idea that I had no idea .... but I really had no idea

Comment

Working...
                                X