• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

High Quality Replica Pens - Interested?

Gr00v3

30/10/10
to be honest with you, no, i would not buy another replica pen. the cost is prohibitive. for the 110 i spent, i could have gotten a nice monte pen, or a couple lamy's and a cheap sailor. there are a bunch of different ways i could have spent the money and been happier with my purchases.

anyway, that's my opinion right now. i'm going to be test driving the two pens throughout the week and will follow up then.

btw, i was able to get the gandhi to write more consistently, the nib was not seated all the way into the pen

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
to be honest with you, no, i would not buy another replica pen. the cost is prohibitive. for the 110 i spent, i could have gotten a nice monte pen, or a couple lamy's and a cheap sailor. there are a bunch of different ways i could have spent the money and been happier with my purchases.

anyway, that's my opinion right now. i'm going to be test driving the two pens throughout the week and will follow up then.

btw, i was able to get the gandhi to write more consistently, the nib was not seated all the way into the pen

Thank you for your honest opinion. The problem with rep pens is the nib. Rep ballpoint and rollerballs are good to buy, because you can always put gen refills inside. With rep pens, you can only sell them on rep forums. the gens can be sold anywhere.

Gr00v3

30/10/10
Well the good news is, universal short cartridges work in the boheme.

20120320_051312.jpg

I also had to do a bit of bending on the Gandhi nib, but it writes a bit nicer now

The boheme nib is much nicer to write with overall however. Shame about the body, I really want to love it

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Oh, and the boheme has a deep reserve of ink. I've been writing quite a bit and the blue ink is still coming out instead of the purple

20120320_063131.jpg

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
what is the quality control like on the gandhi pen? i assume the pen is painted cream coloured and can easily flake off? any cracks on the paint? watcheden has got the ghandi pen for $70. is that how much you paid for it?

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
i brought a george bernard shaw ballpoint pen and its absolutely stunning. The green marble effect looks gorgeous. The pen is very confortable and has got alot of heft to it. my favourate pen :)

will post pics in the morning, if requested :)

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
The Gandhi Rolling Ball I had was painted the correct colour and the paint was perfect. The finish had the same level of 'sheen' that the original has and overall, I give it an 8 out of 10 for presentation - the stone if the big letdown because even though the makers have orange/yellow stones that they use in another version, they don't put them in the two pens that are the closest match - not a very hard fix but it's ridiculous to have to do.

MOSH - can't wait! I 'think' yours may be lighter in colour than the gen but they are still a lovely pen - just make sure the MB logo is perfect ... the one I got had a cracked logo which is why I am trying to get replacements.

GROOV - the Gandhi fountain pen has been made as a result of my lobbying so I guess you got the first one - it is great that you were able to repair it .... I will ink mine as soon as I get it and report back to the group how it goes.

Did your Boheme come as a piston fill that you then stuck a cartridge into?

FURTHER POST - GROOV - Sincere apologies mate, I have not been on for several days due to attending a conference (god help me) for three days in another city and missed the fact that you reviewed your purchases.

I noticed the nib on the Gandhi was sitting too far out immediately as I now know you did as well ...

I agree about the Boheme - the ones I have here (think I have 5 or 6 left) do vary a little in quality but I only have one in FP format. I stopped collecting them in FP because they are too different from the gens ... as you all can see:

2452985_x.jpg

Also ... the Boheme has a retractable nib system which the Chinese wouldn't bother copying if they don't have to and of course, they don't...

2452978_x.jpg

2452976_x.jpg

But the 1:1 rolling ball versions I have are wonderful - if anyone would like a review I'd be pleased to provide one once I get a few bits and pieces organised

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
i was wondering where you disappeared to :)

yeah will defo post high quality pictures of the pen in the morning. will do a good review on it. ive never seen the gen in person, so you'll be able to tell me if the colour is similar.

please do a review of the 1:1 rolling ball version. you going to make me spend more money :)

if it wasnt for your inital post about the bernard shaw pen, i would have never even considered buying it. i honestly didnt know the rep makers could made such a stunning rep of the original. amazing :)

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
HERE IS A REVIEW OF THE MONTBLANC GEORGE BERNARD SHAW BALLPOINT PEN:

ive never seen the original in person, but this replica looks identical to the original when comparing it to the pictures found online. The pictures dont do justice to how good the pen actually looks when seen in person. This pen is extremely well built and is quite heavy. It fits perfectly into the hand and is very comfortable to use. The green marble colour looks really nice. Gen refills fit the pen :) The pen has a serial number and the fit and finish on the pen is perfect.

Here are pictures of the actual pen:

DSC03040.jpg

DSC03043.jpg

DSC03041.jpg

DSC03047.jpg

DSC03048.jpg

DSC03049.jpg

DSC03050.jpg

DSC03051.jpg

DSC03052.jpg

DSC03053.jpg

DSC03054.jpg

DSC03055.jpg

I also purchased a fantasy george bernard shaw rollerball pen aswell. The fit and finish is identical to the ballpoint reviewed above. As you can see, the colour on the rollerball doesnt match the colour on the ballpoint. The rollerball has got a slightly more lighter green marble effect. Its still a really nice looking pen.

DSC03056.jpg

DSC03057.jpg

DSC03058.jpg

DSC03059.jpg

DSC03060.jpg

DSC03062.jpg

DSC03063.jpg

DSC03064.jpg

DSC03065.jpg

DSC03066.jpg

DSC03067.jpg

DSC03068.jpg

Both pens are absolutely stunning. These pens are completely different to the usual crap replicas that you find online. I brought these from a different dealer online. I paid around $35 for each pen and $20 for shipping by ems and 4% for paypal fee. I hope this review has been useful. :)

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
(sigh) can somebody PM me a link so I can buy one of these ^%ing pens? I've been waiting for...just shy of forever.... :)

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Very nice review thanks - the difference in colour between the two pens is why I am trying to get the 'faulty' pen I bought, returned to me as it will NOT match the ballpoint, which is closer in colour to the original.

To clarify, what I have done is: buy the first GBS rolling ball (not actually available genuine) which was the correct colour but had the cracked MB logo - pretty HUGE issue I think you all will agree.

-- returned it for replacement only to be told that the precise colour is on longer available and as usual, to choose something else.

-- asked for the pen to be returned to me along with another cap so I could replace the logo myself (or at least try to)

-- buy two further examples of this model in BP and RB formats but in the lighter green so at least I would have a set.

Man, if anyone IS NOT confused by all that, please explain it to me!

... annnnnnnnyway, your pens are lovely and though we all know they aren't 100% copies, they are close. The colour of both is off but the darker one is closer (BTW the MB ones are matched for sets only, and do not perfectly match in single units) but because these pens are made from naturally occurring stone that has been crushed and glued together, some variance must be expected. More evident though, is the size of the pieces used in the reps but again, it doesn't matter - they are beautifully made pens in their own right and don't need the MB logo on the top to make them so.

The signature is a lot more coarse than the original, being done with a milling machine bit, as opposed to the Montblanc diamond-scribing process, but short of taking a photo like you have which reveals the milling swirls, it is indistinguishable.

Again, no one (other than dills) expects these to be perfect replicas of $2,000 pens, but they are excellent in their own right.

... which leads me to another point - does anyone really believe the Chinese will simply continue making reps instead of eventually retaining their own designers? And when they do, it could be 'game over' for the rest of us, seeing as we begged them to take all our manufacturing capabilities, machines, Intellectual Property, etc. so we could buy stuff back from them cheap.

Anyone who'd like to debate the above point, I invite you to read about post-WW2 Japan ... Made in Japan used to be the derogatory term we used for crappy copies .... not so much now, huh?

20080707_Montblanc_Limited-Writers-Edition_George-Bernard-Shaw_1_lowres.jpg

I bought the pens which started this thread through watcheden

20080707_Montblanc_Limited-Writers-Edition_George-Bernard-Shaw_2_lowres.jpg

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
(sigh) can somebody PM me a link so I can buy one of these ^%ing pens? I've been waiting for...just shy of forever.... :)

PM sent

for everyday use, these pens are perfect. I dont have issues about the colour, plus your hardly going to come across someone else who knows anything about genuine and replica montblanc pens. most people dont know the slight differences.

please do a review of the thomas man pen :)

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Don't forget to mention where you got the referral from folks .... though IF through a PM, just make sure the sender is OK to have their username used

For the record, I am OK that this thread is referred to as well as my username, but hope everyone will understand that the opinions expressed are just mine and any grief resulting from anyone getting let down (and it always happens) ain't my fault!

Yes yes yes .... I will review the Thomas Mann, but eating (and bill paying) takes priority right now .... it's on the list though

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
Thanks, mosh! And understood, seriph. I hereby formally acknowledge that I'm purchasing a rep pen, and taking the same risks that I would in purchasing any other replica from China. I promise to NOT hold you responsible for any tiny imperfections that may only be seen via scanning-tunneling electron microscopes.

:)

Will

(seriously, you guys rock! thank you!)

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
mont blanc 146 replica skeleton pen review

One of the most stunning & expensive fountain pen that montblanc make, is called the skeleton 333 pen. This pen has a retail value of around $15000.
Ive always liked transparent fountain pens, so when i saw that the dealer had a replica version of it, i had to have it :)

The pen looks absolutely stunning. The pen is very well made. It uses a piston convertor and writes ok (not as good as a real montblanc). The pen initially cane with a black plastic section connected with the nib. i swaped with the silver metal section that i had on a different replica. Here are pictures of the actual pen:

Skeleton pen with black nib section:

DSC02956.jpg

DSC02957.jpg

DSC02958.jpg

DSC02959.jpg

DSC02960.jpg

DSC02961.jpg

DSC02962.jpg

DSC02963.jpg

DSC02964.jpg

DSC02965.jpg

DSC02966.jpg

DSC02967.jpg

DSC02968.jpg

DSC02969.jpg

DSC02971.jpg

DSC02972.jpg

DSC02973.jpg

Skeleton pen with silver nib section:

DSC03072.jpg

DSC03073.jpg

DSC03075.jpg

DSC03077.jpg

DSC03078.jpg

DSC03079.jpg

DSC03081.jpg

DSC03082.jpg

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Nice one .... not really a great replica of the gen but a nice pen regardless ... the silver looks much better .... makes me wonder why they'd stick a black one in there in the first place but there you have it .... did you use a Gandhi insert?

Check these out - I am in love with the Charlie Chaplin, but doubt it could even be rep'd effectively. BTW there is around $200K sitting on the guy's carpet and this isn't all his pens by a longshot ... I believe he has around 30 ultra-limited editions.

4894687542_0c22cd499c_b.jpg

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/32796188@N02/popular-interesting/

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
i know its not a very good great replica, but for around $30 you cant go wrong for a funky looking pen. im sure the chinese could easily replica the standard skeleton and the john harrison replica to perfection, if their was enough demand for the pen. The pen would end up costing significantly more than the best reps avaliable on the market. i doubt this would happen, because most people wont pay more than $40 for a rep pen. Its like with the montblanc timewalker rep. its near perfection. just needs a gen 7753 movement fitted inside. The chinese can do anything if thry put their mind to it. i like the charlie chaplin pen aswell. i could never justify paying that much for a pen. i would rather by a lamborghini :)

how did you know that i used a ghandi insert :) i'll do a review of it tomorrow if i get time :)

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
agree - anyone who could make pens in the first place, could make perfect replicas ... but there is a mindset that prevents true 1:1 knockoffs .... and honestly, I am 100% OK that they don't make them - it would take some serious CNC programming to replicate the Chaplin! It was handmade, then cast - I guess it is possible that someone could do it, but doing so would really get a certain firm's attention.

I'm the guy who got the Gandhi FP made :)

mosh_2k7

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
28/9/10
agree - anyone who could make pens in the first place, could make perfect replicas ... but there is a mindset that prevents true 1:1 knockoffs .... and honestly, I am 100% OK that they don't make them - it would take some serious CNC programming to replicate the Chaplin! It was handmade, then cast - I guess it is possible that someone could do it, but doing so would really get a certain firm's attention.

I'm the guy who got the Gandhi FP made :)

Thats so true. i honestly dont know why the rep companies dont produce their own set of luxury branded pens. their have got the talent and resources to ade great pens. i thinks its the established status symbol that montblanc has got, which prrevents them from making their own pens and just cashing in on montblancs status.

wow didnt know it was you that got the gandhi fountain pen made. why did they put a very poor quality nib on the pen? i love the pen, but the nib is a let down. also mine cane with a few cosmetic flaws. still a nice pen. i dont know why they used a black diamond on the pen aswell! arrrahhh! frustrating! lol! thats rep companies for you. lol

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
Chinese factories do produce their own brands of nice pens, but it will be impossible that they command the prices or prestige that European brands can. Impossible.

If you look up fountain pens on eBay you'll see hundreds if not thousands. I think LUKE was one brand - Picasso may be another. I have looked at them over the years but never bought one ...

The Gandhi nib is the same as all the MB rep FP's ... but each nib needs to be "run in" - you can get original nibs through eBay, just not LE nibs as far as I have ever found and they'd run to huge money anyway, because of how they are made and the unique details on each.

As far as cosmetic flaws, that's the way of things.... dyu mean things like small flecks of black stuff on the barrel etc.?

The stone issue simply gives me the 5h1ts ... they produce a version of this (ridiculous version, of course) with a yellow stone, so it comes down to their incorrect ideas about copyright. I may have mentioned that I bought real Mandarin garnets to go into my pens, but it will be some time before I can get them fitted, by a jeweller I know. He did one for me, but put in the wrong style (cabochon, not faceted gem) ...