• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Watches I understand, but luxury pens? What's up with those?

VagueByDesign

19/10/09
I'll admit that I appreciate my CROSS pens as much as the next guy. I've got a great one that is rubber coated and has two colors in it. If I was stranded on a dessert island with 6000 checks to sign, then this is the pen I'd want with me (provided I had MICR ink in the barrel). But can pens really be worth hundreds of dollars? What is it about some pens that cause them to carry that kind of price? It has to be more than just gold on the barrel or something. Nearly every 'luxury' pen I've held has been too heavy and not practical. I'm just hoping someone can explain it to me so I can understand it. I didn't understand luxury watches for a long time either, but then someone told me about how they make Pateks and I was hooked from there on. Is there something similar about pens?

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Most I've paid is $300 for a MB fountain pen, I'm not a pen enthusiast so I'm speaking for myself when I say I wouldn't pay more than $300 for one. I guess some people are as obsessed with pens [which can have beautiful designs and made of precious materials] as we are with watches, some people are happy with a $100 Seiko or their cell phone and some [like us] tend to like the good stuff.

danno

Horology Curious
17/3/09
I have to write quite a bit by hand at work and have grown to appreciate a well-made pen. I can understand someone wanting a quality writing utensil as much as wanting a quality timepiece. It makes me feel good to handle one of my Lamys (yes, I have more than one color) as much as I enjoy wearing a nice watch. When I share one of my nice pens with someone, it is similar to sharing an interest in one of my watches. Granted, I have a difficult time paying more than US $150 for a pen, but I can understand someone who values a pen as a status symbol as well as a tool. That's not me, but I can understand the mania. And that's what it is when you get down to it, isn't it?

Renowned Member
30/3/09
Mate I can't go past my pack of 5 plastic pens from Office Works for $1.80.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Pens are an interesting racket. They can command up to thousands which is fascinating. Some don't even write that well. Maybe they're made out of Unobtanium or something.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Maybe they're made out of Unobtanium or something.
Who went to see Avatar? :) I predict one of my favorite "non words" is about to become very popular. Hope they don't think they invented the term and try to copyright it.

Col.

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
What is it about some pens that cause them to carry that kind of price?

Hold on there Bud... You know, general concept of a pen is a tool for writing only which is true to an extent but what gets written defines the characteristic and value of the pen as an instrument. Being a pen collector’s son I have learned a lot from my Dad who was also happen to be a calligraphic artist. My Dad used pens like Schaeffer, Parker, Visconti, Van Cleef, Omas, La Dona, West-Minister, Mont B. etc. From his collection I like Schaeffer and Visconti which gives character to even novice writer and brings individuality to writing pattern. Some of the pens from my Dad’s collection are non-gravitational; meaning the mechanism of how the ink is forced is entirely opposite to traditional pens. Non-gravitational fountain ink pens are more difficult to maintain, more fragile than ballpoint pens, they can’t be used with various oil and particle-based inks, in comparison with dip pens, reeds, or quill pens, but they are still considered by many famous and respected writers, artists and stylophiles to be the best instruments for writing or drawing. I can go on and on… on this subject but I’ve gotta jet back to work now ;-) Hope you got the idea…

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
yah, and those luxury cars too, whattup with dem??? and those designer labels for clothes, Armani and sht. I go with my ****** Chevy Aveo and my K-mart jeans. Looks all the same.

VagueByDesign

19/10/09
Pens haven't done an exceptional job in marketing themselves though. I've seen some pretty phat looking Parker pens in my day that cost a whopping $7 bucks that look every bit as fancy as I would expect a $700 pen to look. Nobody I've ever met gets 'pen envy' at expensive pens. I've had more pen envy at slick lightweight gel pens than I have at heavy gold pens.

Everybody knows that a Rolex is a Rolex, but other than Mont Blanc, what is another luxury pen manufacturer that people would recognize? I'm really more of a Parker and Cross kind of guy, but if there is something out there that is comfy and nice looking, then I don't mind expanding. I'm the type that rarely loses anything, so I would probably get my money's worth out of a $200 pen.

Hold on there Bud... You know, general concept of a pen is a tool for writing only which is true to an extent but what gets written defines the characteristic and value of the pen as an instrument. Being a pen collector’s son I have learned a lot from my Dad who was also happen to be a calligraphic artist. My Dad used pens like Schaeffer, Parker, Visconti, Van Cleef, Omas, La Dona, West-Minister, Mont B. etc. From his collection I like Schaeffer and Visconti which gives character to even novice writer and brings individuality to writing pattern. Some of the pens from my Dad’s collection are non-gravitational; meaning the mechanism of how the ink is forced is entirely opposite to traditional pens. Non-gravitational fountain ink pens are more difficult to maintain, more fragile than ballpoint pens, they can’t be used with various oil and particle-based inks, in comparison with dip pens, reeds, or quill pens, but they are still considered by many famous and respected writers, artists and stylophiles to be the best instruments for writing or drawing. I can go on and on… on this subject but I’ve gotta jet back to work now ;-) Hope you got the idea…

I can see it for fountain pens, but who uses those other than calligraphy artists? That isn't a slam either. I used to do calligraphy myself and I absolutely appreciate a fine fountain pen, but they really aren't the kind of thing people keep in their pocket to sign checks with.

And as far as the marketing comment goes, I probably meant to say they don't have the brand recognition that watches and cars have. Nobody needs to ask "what's a Mercedes" or "what's a Rolex" or even "what's an Armani". They have done well to market their brands. It is no different in any industry. I think they all have their Luxury lines that get marketed to death. I am a detailer and it even exists in the wax market. Did you know there are waxes out there that run $6000 per jar? That's not a typo either. Six grand for a jar of wax. Absolutely not worth it, but that doesn't keep people from buying it.

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
OCDetails, My friend I admire your simple approach. Have you ever wonder why a professional machinist prefers movement to be caged in soft iron like faraday? why protecting Nivarox hairspring is so important to some? Does the brand really matter? May be to some… but for those who look for characteristic and application either go for Mailgauss, Railmaster, Ingenieur or Amagnetic etc.?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I use a fountain regularly and don't know crap about calligraphy. But the best writing pen I have is a $6 Parker.

Funny what people call calligraphy today is what everyone used to call writing lol.

Graman

27/8/06
I use a fountain daily....one of the first I made.
Runs like a champion, and I actually write better with it, because I take my time.
I also have a cross mech ballpoint that I use as a scribbler, with a matching mech pencil.

I find it very difficult these days, to write with a disposable Bic or the like (without sounding like a pen snob)

So...pen envy? nah...I think the only people who suffer pen envy are people who have Montblanc pens, and then get shitty, because you're writing with a rhodium and coolabah burl pen that performs better at a fraction of the cost.
They've just paid a bucketload for a pen that is basically some gold and bakelite.

So.....I love writing, and I love how tactile it is...find the right pen with the right balance for you, and you never want to separate from it...be it a $6 parker or $1000 Graf von faber de castel......not matter...just as long as you enjoy using it.

Personally, I prefer making them ;)
Actually, I make sawdust....the pen just falls out of the process :D

C5000

29/6/12
I have a few fountain pens...Visconti, Sailor, Stipula...and they certainly aren't necessary in terms of "writing some stuff down."

They are a great reminder that life is short, and to enjoy what you enjoy. Since I do a lot of creative writing, it makes that event a little more special.

Not dissimilar to a watch...it's a metal case (apparently not that special that it can't be easily duplicated) and a movement, dial, hands, strap. NONE of this hobby is necessary in terms of finding out what time it is. BUT...it is important for other, more subtle reasons. AND, these are the same reasons, for the most part, that we are passionate about. One needn't drink a Margaux to get drunk, but if you haven't had that wine, no amount of getting drunk on the cheap can explain it.

Joe the "Vive" is not what the French meant by the term.....

Wacker23

I'm Pretty Popular
22/8/09
I had a montblanc ballpoint pen that i bought in 1992. I paid 100 for it in staples, i thought it was super expensive.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Never owned a nice pen, but I would like to try one. Maybe one day soon :)

Graman

27/8/06
As C5000 has explained (very well).....You don't miss them if you don't use them.
Once you start, you find that your writing improves, and when you pick up a cheap disposable, you can't write anything with it ;)

If you're game, and you play, I'll guarrantee, you'll be as infected as you are with watches :whistle: .....I can say that from experience!

kingkaiser

18/8/08
yah, and those luxury cars too, whattup with dem??? and those designer labels for clothes, Armani and sht. I go with my ****** Chevy Aveo and my K-mart jeans. Looks all the same.

I think the interesting thing here is that these pens are (in my experience with 20 or so brand name ones), usually worse instruments than what they seek to replace. Your comparison isn't, in most cases, justified.
For cars, a merc amg *is* a better car than a corolla, be it from the perspective of performance, interior, etc. same for ferraris etc. There will be exceptions to any such generalization, but for the most part, the more expensive cars are simply better than their cheaper counterparts.
For clothes, a similar concept applies (not for all brands-I find Burberry to have piss poor material). The materials used in a giorgio Armani shirt (not emporio or Armani exchange, where you're simply paying for the brand), or a Loro Piana shirt are far superior to what you'll find at Banana Republic, or Gap, etc. They feel different on your skin.
For pens, I've found this rule doesn't apply. They're much like watches in that a lot of the price is due to marketing - is a stock hublot with the ETA movement worth $10,000? We all know a Casio g shock is more accurate, more rugged, and has more functions. Now I'm not a calligrapher and look mainly for a versatile ballpoint, so maybe there is a marked difference if you use a fountain pen, but In my experience with pens, the bottom end is awful, the more famous brands (Mont Blanc, Cartier, etc) are mediocre at best-the best pens I've found have been at the $3-10 each range.

Graman

27/8/06
To a point, I agree. I think spending a fortune on a pen is insane, unless you're a purist.
Pens for me personally, in the $3-$10 range, are still a little light, and ordinary for my taste. I can be corrected on this, provided that I see there is sufficient weight and balance in the pen, but these are rare items to find.

For a fountain, I find these are the best to write with, as the ink flows well (provided you're not using india ink) and you tend to think about what you're writing, which makes your writing a little better, and a little more legible.
Aside from that, when it comes to rollerballs and ballpoints, the pen (aside from the weighting it has) is not better than the refill or cartridge that occupies it.
Aside from that, you're paying for aesthetic, finish and balance. That's pretty well it.
I find plastic pens are not really all that one hopes they can be. Sure, they are fine to write with if it's your preference, and some have great ink flow, but they lack the control that comes with weight and balance.
That said, they have their place, and some people prefer them.

I started making pens, because I had the opportunity to share a hobby with my Dad, and because I wasn't happy with plastic pens. I find timber far more tactile, and I find that if I study someone's grip, I can customise a slimline pen to them, or correct their grip if they're terrible writers (this has to be done in person....seriously! )

Now, I still share the hobby with my Dad, but I enjoy making sawdust, and playing with many different types of timbers, and on occasion, other materials.