Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Watches I understand, but luxury pens? What's up with those?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As C5000 has explained (very well).....You don't miss them if you don't use them.
    Once you start, you find that your writing improves, and when you pick up a cheap disposable, you can't write anything with it

If you're game, and you play, I'll guarrantee, you'll be as infected as you are with watches .....I can say that from experience!

Comment

Originally posted by If you see Kay, post: 480430
      yah, and those luxury cars too, whattup with dem??? and those designer labels for clothes, Armani and sht. I go with my ****** Chevy Aveo and my K-mart jeans. Looks all the same.
      I think the interesting thing here is that these pens are (in my experience with 20 or so brand name ones), usually worse instruments than what they seek to replace. Your comparison isn't, in most cases, justified.
      For cars, a merc amg *is* a better car than a corolla, be it from the perspective of performance, interior, etc. same for ferraris etc. There will be exceptions to any such generalization, but for the most part, the more expensive cars are simply better than their cheaper counterparts.
      For clothes, a similar concept applies (not for all brands-I find Burberry to have piss poor material). The materials used in a giorgio Armani shirt (not emporio or Armani exchange, where you're simply paying for the brand), or a Loro Piana shirt are far superior to what you'll find at Banana Republic, or Gap, etc. They feel different on your skin.
      For pens, I've found this rule doesn't apply. They're much like watches in that a lot of the price is due to marketing - is a stock hublot with the ETA movement worth $10,000? We all know a Casio g shock is more accurate, more rugged, and has more functions. Now I'm not a calligrapher and look mainly for a versatile ballpoint, so maybe there is a marked difference if you use a fountain pen, but In my experience with pens, the bottom end is awful, the more famous brands (Mont Blanc, Cartier, etc) are mediocre at best-the best pens I've found have been at the $3-10 each range.

Comment

To a point, I agree. I think spending a fortune on a pen is insane, unless you're a purist.
        Pens for me personally, in the $3-$10 range, are still a little light, and ordinary for my taste. I can be corrected on this, provided that I see there is sufficient weight and balance in the pen, but these are rare items to find.

For a fountain, I find these are the best to write with, as the ink flows well (provided you're not using india ink) and you tend to think about what you're writing, which makes your writing a little better, and a little more legible.
        Aside from that, when it comes to rollerballs and ballpoints, the pen (aside from the weighting it has) is not better than the refill or cartridge that occupies it.
        Aside from that, you're paying for aesthetic, finish and balance. That's pretty well it.
        I find plastic pens are not really all that one hopes they can be. Sure, they are fine to write with if it's your preference, and some have great ink flow, but they lack the control that comes with weight and balance.
        That said, they have their place, and some people prefer them.

I started making pens, because I had the opportunity to share a hobby with my Dad, and because I wasn't happy with plastic pens. I find timber far more tactile, and I find that if I study someone's grip, I can customise a slimline pen to them, or correct their grip if they're terrible writers (this has to be done in person....seriously! )

Now, I still share the hobby with my Dad, but I enjoy making sawdust, and playing with many different types of timbers, and on occasion, other materials.

Comment

Working...
        X