• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Mont Blanc Pen Replicas Questions

seriph

I'm Pretty Popular
27/8/11
FYI this is the Princess Grace de Monaco rep.

They're a nice enough copy IF it's the same as the one I have.

They're nothing like the quality of the gen but they're also not $1800.

They don't stand up to scrutiny by anyone who bothers to check them against the original, even in pics but they are nice in their own right.

One drop in its end (logo end) will likely break it like mine.

They write well because you can put a gen refill or quality compatible in them. Weight is ok so it feels nice in the hand.

Due to what it is, it's more a "feminine" pen IMHO and if you're giving it as a gift don't try to con the recipient. It never ends well :)

Original boxes are nearly impossible to get.

D

d4m.test

FYI this is the Princess Grace de Monaco rep.

They're a nice enough copy IF it's the same as the one I have.

They're nothing like the quality of the gen but they're also not $1800.

They don't stand up to scrutiny by anyone who bothers to check them against the original, even in pics but they are nice in their own right.

One drop in its end (logo end) will likely break it like mine.

They write well because you can put a gen refill or quality compatible in them. Weight is ok so it feels nice in the hand.

Due to what it is, it's more a "feminine" pen IMHO and if you're giving it as a gift don't try to con the recipient. It never ends well :)

Original boxes are nearly impossible to get.
hi, some nice dealer for montblanc rep?

Blueinc

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/12/14
hi, some nice dealer for montblanc rep?
I just ordered 3 Mont Blanc pens off DHgate. Once they are in I will post pics and associated dealer info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

I just ordered 3 Mont Blanc pens off DHgate. Once they are in I will post pics and associated dealer info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Thanks

scooter4507

Looking Around
17/7/18
just got 3 pens today, they are very heavy and have all the right markings. couldn't be happier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rush

I'm Pretty Popular
29/5/16
CONUS
You know, you can buy a used GEN Montblanc on eBay if you do some searching, check the correct tells, serial #'s, etc.

PhiloMark

14/7/18
I have been collecting Gen MB pens for decades and have over 100 in my collection. In all seriousness, pens may be even more impossible than watches to rep. There is a feel to MB resin like no other, and the weight distribution is what MB is all about (as well as the nibs). Fake MB rollerballs and ballpoints abound, but no person with MB cred would ever believe that such a pen is even real upon a first glance. Reps seldom represent fountain pens correctly, so all of us Gen collectors only write with FP's if only for that reason. There is no real market for the fakers to make fake Kafka, Twain, Collodi, etc nibs, so the fakes for MB LE's FP's simply do not exist. I bought a 1982 149 recently for $175 on eBay. It is real and it is spectacular. Save your money and buy a gen, folks.

Reactions: nalomb and Rush

PhiloMark

14/7/18
Rush, MB has not always used serial numbers. Recent pens have them, but serial numbers on MB's only came into common use in the early 90's. Even so, early Writers editions only had sequence and not serial numbers.

Reactions: Rush

PhiloMark

14/7/18
My gen 1982 149, for instance has not a serial number to be found. Typical for this issue is the tag "W. Germany" on the clip and an ebony hand made feeder. Close up pictures of the feeder, the nib, and the spacing between the cone and the body of the pen when in the full filling position are hallmarks of a genuine pen in terms of pictures. Weight, balance, and resin quality if one has this item in hand as well.

All_Heart

Known Member
26/8/21
I used Gen MB Bohemes in college and really like this model. I’ve been using them for 20+ years, Starwalkers for 10+ years and I usually buy reps to use for parts or often fit it them gen parts until the only rep part is the resin barrel.

The retractable Boheme, 163, 149 reps are very close to gen (basically the resin one), but the 2-tone gold plating on the rep nibs, barrel rings and caps are noticeably different from gen so strip and re-plate them or re-fit with used gen mb parts.

I have $15-$20 Rep MB fountain pens that write smoother than $30-$60 gen Parker/Lamy/Pilot pens so don’t hesitate to grab MB rep pens if you want to try them. But if you want to show them off, buy gen parts at least.

I normally avoid ballpoint models, Patrons or other tribute models that have enameled metal barrels that chip off over time and often have different nib stampings or nib shapes.