• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

any other websites like aliexpress.com

Danielpetterson

Looking Around
9/2/15
i am trying to find a good trusted website like aliexpress.com to buy rep pens? I wouldn't like to spend hundreds for one pen that's why I go rep but watches are another story.

mikey.park

Known Member
4/11/13
I bought a bunch of MB pens from a seller on AliExpress. I think this guys selection is excellent, and I must admit the quality is very good for 10$-12$USD. The free shipping is a bonus, although it did take about 3-4 weeks to arrive (to the point I actually forgot I ordered these) I'll post a couple pics when I get home. http://www.aliexpress.com/store/140119 is the seller I got from, but this one seems quite good too http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1398733. +1 for dHgate and co, although they are predominantly electronics. Could check out diytrade.com also.

JDM180

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/9/13
Just posting to check this out when Im home but this is interesting thanks for posting

mikey.park

Known Member
4/11/13
All rollerballs, as I rarely use fountain pens since the Lamy Safari I was carrying burst on the inside of my suit pocket. These are from the seller I listed above and I have another 5 or so in my office. Good weight to them, refills fit and screw down perfectly, inscriptions of either Montblanc or Meisterst?ück are done very neatly. Brilliant for 12 bucks.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
How are aliexpress mb pens anyways? I was thinking of picking one up just to compare to my gen mb's. I have about 10 gen mb fountain pens and just bought another gen mb fountain pen this week.
My gen mb collection is about $5k so I know a bit about mb's.

ElVino

Renowned Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
1/7/11
How are aliexpress mb pens anyways? I was thinking of picking one up just to compare to my gen mb's. I have about 10 gen mb fountain pens and just bought another gen mb fountain pen this week.
My gen mb collection is about $5k so I know a bit about mb's.

A comparison would be very interesting.

If you see Kay

26/1/09
A comparison would be very interesting.

I do have one rep mb from narikaa but the rest are all gens. I don't have a gen of that rep.

What I can say us that the engraving on the nib is not as deep as the gen. The feed ( ie the plastic fins on the underside of the nib) is different than the gen and the converter ( the refillable ink cartridge inside the pen) is cheap Chinese quality.

The body of the pen and the clip is actually pretty good. The writing on the main cap ring is passable but not as crisp as the gen. The reps even copies the micro engraved serial number on the clip ring pretty good. The mb white star is EXACT!!!!!

Finally the writing experience in terms of smoothness and ink flow on the gen with a true 14k or 18k nib is by far superior to any cheap Chinese nib.

I will probably try out an aliexpress pen for shits and giggles in the near future but I don't expect much out of them. And the pics on that website are mainly stolen pics from gen pen websites.

I just bought another gen mb fountain pen over the weekend and I might end up getting a gen Pelikan fp later on but that one is close to 700 usd so maybe not for a while yet

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
How are aliexpress mb pens anyways?

Will try to post some pictures later; but I have a fake MB that I use on a daly basis. All I can say is it writes well.

Oh, and it passed the "will a middle school student spot it as a fake" test.
A student asked me if it was a real MB and I said no, it's just a fake.
At that point he asked to see it, he is one of the sharper lads.
He looked it over quite closely and wrote a bit with it and handed it back.
Another student then asked him if it was real.
He replied that it was and that I was just saying it was a fake so the students wouldn't steal it.​

rek0001

1/1/13
mikey.park, so your aliexpress MB pens take genuine refills?

I have about 8 rep MB pens from various sources, and they truly vary in quality,
the biggest test is how well they hold up after long time use, which truth be told is not too good.

I'm very gentle with them, and most of them, the black paint has flaked to show the brass underneath, the white star tip has fallen off, glue dried out, I glued it back on.

Oh and NONE of my rep MBs don't take gen refills, some take Parker gel refills, others some generic crap form Staple.

And forget about fountain pens, the nibs are truly garbage, either scratchy or let out way too much ink.

I would pay OK money for a truly decent MB rep, one that takes gen refills and still looks good after a few years.

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
I have no idea what refills my fake MB takes. I refill with Noodlers. The red one (that I use in class) gets red-brown and the grey one gets lexington grey.

That being said, I would expect it to take the parker refills; but, like I said, I really don't know. They have the generic screw type manual refill cartridges.

If you see Kay

26/1/09
Can't speak for roller balls or ballpoints but the one rep fountain pen I have is built like the gen. It is not brass painted black but a plastic that MB calls precious resin. The rep looks and feels like the gen. Even the white star. The rep has it inlaid into the precious resin just like the gen. In fact some of my gen parts of my other pens are interchangeable withe the rep.

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Some pictures of a MB 144 Classique

Keep in mind, this is no desk queen. It is used by a middle school teacher on a daily basis.

. . . heck, Friday I was using it to pop balloons after a school dance. . .

The ink is Noodlers Red-Brown

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

purchased from here

ElVino

Renowned Member
MULTI ACCOUNT
1/7/11
Can't speak for roller balls or ballpoints but the one rep fountain pen I have is built like the gen. It is not brass painted black but a plastic that MB calls precious resin. The rep looks and feels like the gen. Even the white star. The rep has it inlaid into the precious resin just like the gen. In fact some of my gen parts of my other pens are interchangeable withe the rep.

Where did you source this??

If you see Kay

26/1/09
Keep in mind, this is no desk queen. It is used by a middle school teacher on a daily basis.

. . . heck, Friday I was using it to pop balloons after a school dance. . .

The ink is Noodlers Red-Brown

IMG_1173.jpg

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1176.jpg

IMG_1177.jpg

IMG_1178.jpg

purchased from here
Hehhh hehh that was the exact same pen I was thinking of getting from that very same dealer. What does it say on the nib just below the montblanc engraved star ? Can't read it.

Btw that's the MB 144 Classique

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Hehhh hehh that was the exact same pen I was thinking of getting from that very same dealer. What does it say on the nib just below the montblanc engraved star ? Can't read it.

Btw that's the MB 144 Classique

Sorry, I didn't take a good enough picture, I can't read it either. On one side of the symbol on the nib (I think that is what we are talking about) is a stylized 4810 on the other side, in very small print looks like the word "montblanc" and under it looks like Roman Numerals; but, as I said, I really can't even read it in the original photo.

Thanks for the identification,I changed the picture title, I think I based a number o what I saw on the webpage I linked to.

As far as the vendor, you are familiar with Chinese vendors. It arrived in a reasonable amount of time and was packaged well enough.

mikey.park

Known Member
4/11/13
mikey.park, so your aliexpress MB pens take genuine refills?

Yep. 100%. I refill them with whatever I can lay my hands on; be that gen MB refills from the stationary cupboard or cheap 'rep' alternatives sourced online.

image0r

14/11/14
Just picked up two Mbs from the links above. Hopefully they will work decently.