• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replica Fountain Pens

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Re: In and Out Burger

Roeod4 said:
Ok, Pugsy.........LOL
[snip]
If any of you actually read all of this, then you need to get out more.
Ok, I'm off out. :D

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
hey, does any body know any thing
about
fast food?
:D

lagae

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/3/06
After all of that I know what I want for dinner tonight - In-n-Out Double Double with grilled onions. Yum!

But back to the original topic...

Is there any way to modify or replace the nib to get the pen to write the way you want it to? I just did a quick google search and found sites that discussed how to grind the tips to get specific writing feels, and I also found replacement nibs (although they probably cost most than the replica pens do.) But perhaps there are better/cheaper sources if you know where to look.

My small replica pen collection is mostly roller ball types. They often don't write as nicely as I'd like, but for just a few dollars I can put in an authentic refill and it writes as well as any pen. Perhaps you can modify or replace the nib and use the best ink to get the fountain pens the way you like them?

Monty

Known Member
6/4/06
Fountain Pen Hospitals

They have fountain pen hospitals and I am probably certain that there are people out there doing mod jobs as well. So one can purchase a rep and then get a nib replacement. How much that might cost I do not know. Fountain Pen lovers are just as fanatical about pens as Watch Lovers are about watches. The issue with the nib of the fountain pen is material and finish. For instance a 21K gold nib is going to be softer and more prone to bending and wear than a steel nib. A 21K gold nib will also write like a dream. It can actually help improve a person's penmanship. A 14K nib is a bit harder and does not write as smoothly as the 21K nib. The stel nibs are harder still and do not write as smoothly.

A 21K nib, after a fair amount of use will need to be serviced. The tech will grind it a bit to smooth it out. This is usually very quick and if you go to a pen show, yes they have these, you can probably get it done for free.

Many high end companies will guarantee the pen for life. They are interested in you buying more than one of the pens so they provide great service. The fountain pens will often come with a cartridge converter. The converter allows you to draw ink into the cartridge converter chamber. This is very economical as opposed to using disposable cartridges. Some pens will only use cartridges made by their particular company. Other companies pens will take the international cartridge. Whether one uses disposable cartridges or a cartridge converter one thing is remains the same for both. Empty the fountain pen before riding in an airplane. The pressure change will force the ink from the cartridge. If you have the pen pointed downward it will most likely leak onto your shirt, suit, pants etc. If you have it nib up you might not get it leaking on your clothes but then again you might. So better to be safe than sorry.

A company like Bexley makes a fabulous pen. They will often produce them in limited numbers. They do not make thier own nibs. They buy them from a German company. The pen body on a Bexley is really a beautiful thing. Now a company like Sailor does not have the same great pen body work as the Bexley, but they, Sailor, make their own nibs. They design them, try different ways to support the nib etc. They make a 21K nib that is fantastic. They make a 14K nib that is also very good. So for me, I would rather have a Sailor Fountain Pen than a Bexley bcause of the nib. The Bexley fountain Pens tend to cost more than the Sailor Fountain Pens. The Mount Blanc is a very good pen and probably one of the most recognizable to people in the same way Rolex is recognizable in the world of watches. The Mount Blanc nib is very good and writes very, very well. However, they also cost more than the Sailor. Of the two, I prefer the Sailor 21K than the Mont Blanc nibs.

It is all a matter of individual tastes and what one considers to be the best feel for them. Also, there is the matter of cost. A really good Fountain Pen is like a really good watch to me in that they are both functional pieces of art.

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Re: Fountain Pen Hospitals

Monty said:
It is all a matter of individual tastes and what one considers to be the best feel for them. Also, there is the matter of cost. A really good Fountain Pen is like a really good watch to me in that they are both functional pieces of art.
I have a genuine Mont Blanc and the nib action feels great. I don't do enough writing to justify trying to find anything better.

Monty

Known Member
6/4/06
Mont Blanc is fine

@Pugwash

A Mont Blanc is a great pen. Many people would prefer it over any other pen. Fountain pens, represent a greater degree of individual taste than watches as with a fountain pen one is really after the touch on the pen in the hand (grip) and how it feels when writing. So it is really an expression of your personal taste to a finer degree than the watch you wear. At least, I think so. For those who are interested in Sailor Pens and Nibs, here are some links:

http://www.stutler.cc/pens/sailor_kawaguchi/index.html

http://www.stutler.cc/pens/sailor_clinic/index.html

http://www.penseller.com/pages/sailor.htm

If you have never read about Fountain Pens before you might find it interesting.

sye46

12/4/06
i have a replica mont blanc pen but i use an authentic refill. so i can't really tell the difference!

Monty

Known Member
6/4/06
That's because & same with watches

@Sye46

i have a replica mont blanc pen but i use an authentic refill. so i can't really tell the difference!

That is because you have either a rollerball or a ball point pen. A Fountain Pen is a different story, just using the same ink cartridge does not make it write the same for Fountain Pens. Hence this whole discussion.

I really considered a rollerball, which is the modern day equivalent of a fountain pen. It has a wet ink. In the end the sort of nostaligic, old technology part of me grabbed me. It is the same with watches. I could get a quartz movement watch with the jerky second hand but I prefer the mechanical movements with the sweep hand. I also like hand winds as well. But I am okay with automatics.

amk000

27/3/06
:D

Good topic this on rep fountain pens.

I am also a lover of fountain pens (same or even more than watches).

I own more than 20 FPs (from Waterman , Pelikan to MBs , Delta, Aurora y Omas.
Now I am after the Namiki and ANCORA ones.

I also own some Rep FPs.
I can tell you that there is not a single good replica FP. Almost all of them are not good for writting.
Bad nibs , paper scratching , resistance , no continuous ink flow, bad pistons , .... etc , you name it.
Of course you can try to mod it (change Nib , piston etc..) but replacements are very hard to find.
So for FPs , my advise , stick to the real ones.
So , for rep brand names on pens stick to rollerballs.

BTW: This is by far the best place to buy a gen FP at excellent price. Also accepts Paypal.
http://www.pensinasia.com/

Monty

Known Member
6/4/06
Thanks

@amk000

I own more than 20 FPs (from Waterman , Pelikan to MBs , Delta, Aurora y Omas.
Now I am after the Namiki and ANCORA ones.

I also own some Rep FPs.
I can tell you that there is not a single good replica FP. Almost all of them are not good for writting.
Bad nibs , paper scratching , resistance , no continuous ink flow, bad pistons , .... etc , you name it.
Of course you can try to mod it (change Nib , piston etc..) but replacements are very hard to find.
So for FPs , my advise , stick to the real ones.
So , for rep brand names on pens stick to rollerballs.

BTW: This is by far the best place to buy a gen FP at excellent price. Also accepts Paypal.
http://www.pensinasia.com/

Thanks so much for the url for the pens. The Omas is a really great pen but pretty expensive. Since the touch of a fountain pen is so individualistic do you have a local store that you can go and try out the pen before purchasing it online?

For me, I would not purchase a pen that costs over 75 dollars without testing it out first. And, as you know, 75 is not a lot for a Fountain Pen. I would want to test the feel of it in the hand and also the way it writes. That does not mean that I would have to purchase that very pen in the store but it would mean that I would know what it is like before buying it on the internet.

Do you have a particular style of nib that you like?

Monty

Known Member
6/4/06
Do you

@amk000

The person that runs that site that you listed? What are his prices? He is located in Singapore?

How many have your purchased from him? The pens are genuine?

The photos look good!

amk000

27/3/06
@ Monty ,

Regfarding http://www.pensinasia.com
The person (Is called Tay) is located in Singapore.
All FPs are genuine (they come with box and papers).
I did some fishing around for some time and I found out that Tay has the best prices. Only true ebay bargains (.. hard to find) can beat his prices.

Tay speaks perfect english and replies all emails.
Tay will accept the return of an FP is something is wrong and he will send you a new one.

Here is some examples of prices (a year ago) from one of my queries to him:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) MONTBLANC MEISTERSTUCK (Black)TRAVELLER FOUNTAIN
> PEN WITH LEATHER TRAVEL CASE
>http://www.pensinasia.com/meisterstuck_traveller_fp_with_leather_travel_case-mb.htm
>
> - Is the pen new ? Yes
> - Does it come with box and papers ? Yes
> - Is the nib size F or F nib can be fitted ? I can
> get F for you.
> - is the 149 size or the 146 size ? It is also known
> as 147 , the same size as 146.
> - Final Price (excl shipping cost) ??? US$290
>

> 2) MONTBLANC BOHEME WITH BLACK STONE FOUNTAIN PEN
>http://www.pensinasia.com/boheme_with_black_stone_fp_-_montblanc.htm
>
> - Is the pen new ? Yes
> - Does it come with box and papers ? Yes
> - Is the nib size F or F nib can be fitted ? I can
> get F for you
> - Final Price (excl shipping cost) ??? US$298
>
>
> General Questions:
> - I can pay visa or paypal , which one is better ?
> Paypal is fine.
> (less extra cost).
> - Shipping cost for EU ? US$30
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: He will charge shipping cost ones only.

BTW: I prefer F nib. I use all my FPs for writting. After some time of writting (1 Year or so) the F nib get a kind of a M nib effect.

Cheers,
AMK000

Monty

Known Member
6/4/06
What is your favorite?

In regard to Fountain Pens, which one is your favorite.

I like the Sailor Fountain Pen with the 21k nib, medium point. I also like the Bexley with the stub point, it is very versatile and great for signatures.

And I usually put black ink in my pens, but I also have cobalt blue and a dark green ink as well.

amk000

27/3/06
By best FPs ???

From the ones that I already own:
1) Parker Duofold Prinstripe
2) Visconti Van Gogh
3) Pelican Chicago (similar to Souvern 600 - the writting horse)

From the ones that I like to buy:
1) Delta 20th Anniversary Limited Edition
2) OMAS MOMA
3) Any NAMIKI (... if I can affort it)

BTW: Montblanc for me are not top of the range FPs. Their quality does not much the price (... are quite expensive for their quality).

INK: Always BRILLIANT Black from Pelikan or Parker.