• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Montblanc Pens - First Purchase

Nivenj

15/6/14
UK
Wasn't sure what to expect, but have to say. Really impressed with the quality and performance of all of them.
2ev8eb4.jpg

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
You don't need rep refills. refills by genuine pen companies (other than MB) will fit MB pens. I use a Monteverde rollerball refill that fits in my genuine MB 163 Rollerball. It lasts much longer than the 6 pages or so with the gen refill. That's about a dollar page.

By the way, those rep MB pens are nice, so are the rep MB fountain pens, but you are looking a pics off a genuine. I have about 10 genuine MB pens and only 2 or 3 rep MB's. To me, MB's are cheap enough on the secondary market to get gen. Most can be had for the price of a good rep watch.

If you are testing out the waters if fountain pens are for you, sure try out a rep MB. But there are as many fountain pen makers out there as there are watch makers. Lots of genuine fountain pens can be had for as little as $10. Some write extremely well. If I told you it was from a $10 pen you probably wouldn't believe me.

I just wouldn't go out making a collection of rep fountain pens though. Rep watches. . . different story.

Nivenj

15/6/14
UK
Apart from the starwalker (FP), the other 3 are all limited edition, where the gen's second hand are still upwards of $1000 each. Still not cheap enough for me. They are great pens in their own right (replica status aside) and am amazed at how well they write considering the most expensive was lie $12 shipped. I might treat myself to a gen 146 or 149, but to be honest, with replicas this good, not sure I would ever know if i was buying a Gen or not :-S

Reactions: hblackiston

If you see Kay

26/1/09
There are no rep 146 and 149's.

Between the two of those, I have six. You can pick up a 149 on the secondary market for around $400 and a 146 on the secondary market for $300. I just bought a near new, still wrapped in the MB wrapping paper 146 for $375. That edition 146, if purchased from the AD would be over $800, maybe close to $900

motoman83

Known Member
23/3/13
Wasn't sure what to expect, but have to say. Really impressed with the quality and performance of all of them.
2ev8eb4.jpg

Are these pens all screw capped? If so, about how many turns to unscrew the cap? I'm looking for a nice office pen and would like to be able to deploy it with as little fiddling as possible.

capital10

Renowned Member
18/3/06
Anyone know if a genuine MB rollerball or ballpoint refills fit these on the site listed above?

all of the pens I've got in the past were poor quality with a replica refill that was no good and couldn't be replaced

If you see Kay

26/1/09
the aliexpress pens I believe are the cheap end versions of the reps. they are poorly made and will fall apart or chip in a matter of a few weeks. The pics they show are the genuine images, but the pen you get I believe would be a cheap piece of shit. I haven't purchased from them but for a $15 pen, you'd expect about $15 worth of shit.

In any event, the gen and rep refills are interchangeable fwiw.

Reactions: PhiloMark

Visceral

You're Saying I Can Sell?
27/9/13
Waiting on some aliexpress pens. Will post pictures when I receive them.

Graman

27/8/06
Interesting...quite cheap for what they are, but how do they feel in the hand?
I must admit, I prefer something substantial, rather than a lightweight rep.

I started making my own, and now find it really hard to use anything else.

Examples..

Interested in the reviews for the next arrivals...

adamweby

28/8/12
CONUS
I saw this thread and ordered one. I figured how bad could it be. it arrived today and for $10 im blown away. it looks incredible and has a nice finish and it is heavy like the gen. seems to write well too.

IMG_20141015_192030_970.jpg

IMG_20141015_192058_724.jpg

IMG_20141015_192124_951.jpg

IMG_20141015_192155_441.jpg

If you see Kay

26/1/09
whoa. I can tell right of the bat that Starwalker is a fake. I have the gen version, plus about 10 other gen MB's, so perhaps that's not a fair comparison. But for the untrained eye, it'll pass muster.

congrats on a cheap knockoff ;)

adamweby

28/8/12
CONUS
well most of everything we see on the board is cheap knockoffs. ive spent more for less before lol. it was worth the $10 to me.