• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

any pen dealer recommendations?

Oceanrider

Horology Curious
25/11/13
I am a MB Fan. As far as I understand, there is no quality Pen replica supply compared to watches, correct?

torobravo

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
2/5/10
I remember trevor had some good pens. Make sure you ask for those models which can take gen fill. They really rock

Limztf

13/10/12
Depends on what you're looking for mate.....rep pens? there are a few about that can help you.....I don't do reps...I just make sawdust ;)

Some of you must've overlooked that Graman does some really insane jobs at pens, so if you're sick of the pen rep sh*t, do drop Graman a PM or just browse the history of the ink well ...you'll see his works!

rek0001

1/1/13
Look up Jinhao pens on eBay, these are legit chinese pens, one style looks like an MB Le Grande fountain pen.
The FP writes kind of wet, but the nib is quite smooth. Not bad for $20.
They make the insane dragon FPs TTK (Neil) was selling a LONG time ago on the forums.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
Look up Jinhao pens on eBay, these are legit chinese pens, one style looks like an MB Le Grande fountain pen.
The FP writes kind of wet, but the nib is quite smooth. Not bad for $20.
They make the insane dragon FPs TTK (Neil) was selling a LONG time ago on the forums.

That Jinhao is the 159, and looks like the Montblanc 149, otherwise known as the Diplomat. The MB 146 is often referred to as the Le Grande, which is much smaller than the 149. I have all three pens in question.

the mb 149 is on the left, the Jinhao 159 is on the right. the Jinhao can actually be had for less than $10

12227677205_29735a1cab_b.jpg

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
That Jinhao is the 159, and looks like the Montblanc 149, otherwise known as the Diplomat. The MB 146 is often referred to as the Le Grande, which is much smaller than the 149. I have all three pens in question.

the mb 149 is on the left, the Jinhao 159 is on the right. the Jinhao can actually be had for less than $10

12227677205_29735a1cab_b.jpg
[/
i actually have a Jinhao 159 from an eBay seller. It is a actually a good pen. I really like if. QU
OTE]

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
I have a few Jinhao and Baoer also. They are both from eBay and are pretty good. I'm satisfied.

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
Jinhao and other cheap chinese brands are a good way to get your feet wet in the world of fountain pens. Most write extremely well right out of the box. Some dealers offer different nib sizes, such as fine, medium and broad, but they are all the same, which is a medium.

There are ways of "modding" them as well. There is a whole level to this hobby just like watches.

These need ink as they will not write without them, unlike a ballpoint or a rollerball or a felt tip pen. You will need to get ink. Ink cartridges are the cheapest way to go about the hobby from a purely beginner point of view.

Faranglaos

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/11/13
Ordered a rep MB Mark Twain from a recommended contact.
When it arrives, if it is good quality, i will ask if it is ok to recommend to others. Fella seems genuine enough, i wanted to order the John Lennon and he was good enough to tell me it was a poor copy rather than just taking the money

SMP_lover

Strap mastermind
Vendor (Strap Maker)
13/12/10
Just got the Jinhao 159 set of rollerball and fountain. For $20 it looks and feels quite nice. A bit thicker than i've expected but it's ok.

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
Just got the Jinhao 159 set of rollerball and fountain. For $20 it looks and feels quite nice. A bit thicker than i've expected but it's ok.

I have the rollerball model. It "is" quite thick, but very nice. I snagged it off eBay. It was like $8. What a bargin.

maxkam

Horology Curious
7/3/14

sea wolf

Horology Curious
13/11/16
Jinhao Pens. Rolex pen.

Thank you for sharing the link to Engeika. Some lovely high quality pens at fantastic prices. The sailor pens are a good alternative to Montblanc. Will be ordering some shortly once I can narrow down the shopping cart
I am also interested in finding a good Rep pen dealer.

I got the pen bug recently. I applied for a job and forgot my pen---I was very embarrassed! So I resolved to get a nice pen.

I bought a Rolex pen for $40 on the bay. I guess it must be a Rep. It looks great, but it is too heavy so I only use it at home. Chrome with Gold trim. It makes my shirt pocket sag and feels like a gun in my coat pocket. Quality is fine, it hasn't fallen apart and I don't think that it ever will.

I bought a pair of attractive no-name commemorative wood pens at a low price. I use them at work because they are light and the feel of the wood is comfortable in my hand.

I bought two sets of Jinhao cheapies. They look good and I like them, but the blue ballpoints fall apart constantly. The red rollerballs are holding up fine. The blue ball points are a little too sharp and scratchy.

I remember 25 years ago Mont Blanc overproduced and flooded the market. You could pick them up everywhere for a song.

I see a lot of Rep pen dealers on the internet, but I have no idea which dealers are good or what pens to buy.

Yesterday I was at the watch repair shop and the shop next door had the must lux used pens I have ever seen! Dang! They were so pretty, it really brought out the lust and envy in my heart. I can just imagine pulling one of those pens out on a date at a restaurant to pay my bill.

Update: I just checked out some of the recommended dealers stated above, like Hont. Thanx. This forum is great. However, I am still lusting for the pens I saw in the consignment shop yesterday. One problem with Reps of all kinds is that it is difficult to find a vintage look.