• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Any kitchen knife enthusiates here?

IronTexan

Looking Around
19/3/19
I am looking to upgrade my kitchen cutlery to something nice. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for their preferred kitchen cutlery?

Less

30/9/18
DE
Hi,
Some years ago I used to work in Solingen as this city has a great reputation for German knives. So I was torn between buying Japanese or German style knives. In the end I just went into a big knives store in Solingen and made a blind test with chef's knives. I think that's the most important thing that you feel comfortable with your knife. I'm still very satisfied with my Wüsthof classic set although it's not the most expensive one but fitted me perfectly anyway.

GreatWhite

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/2/21
I use Zwilling. Lasted years so far, great knives. And as above, Zwilling are also based in Solingen.

Noobylover

Known Member
28/2/21
I got my wife a set of Shun knives for christmas... hand hammered damascus steel... we love them!! Best kitchen investment besides a couple super high quality pots and pans

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I've always been a Wusthof fan -- comfortable, relatively affordable and durable. I bought a 23-piece Classic Ikon set that was on sale about 5 years ago and it has held up very well. Perfect for those who fancy themselves pros and rank amateurs alike. Plus they're readily available, so if you ever need a replacement -- easy, peasy.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
Hey guys.
I am a Chef, based in Switzerland.

What I read here is great:

Solingen (Famous for Steel), Wüsthof, Dreizack, Zwilling...
German Steel.

I work with "Victorinox" (Brand of Switzerland which makes the famous Swiss military knifes), and "Global" (German Brand, more massive/heavy than Victorynox.
I have some Knifes since 2003 (a Dreizack) but most from 2008 (Victorinox, Global).
Great for allday working.

jpchub

Renowned Member
7/12/18
Cape Town
Hey guys.
I am a Chef, based in Switzerland.

What I read here is great:

Solingen (Famous for Steel), Wüsthof, Dreizack, Zwilling...
German Steel.

I work with "Victorinox" (Brand of Switzerland which makes the famous Swiss military knifes), and "Global" (German Brand, more massive/heavy than Victorynox.
I have some Knifes since 2003 (a Dreizack) but most from 2008 (Victorinox, Global).
Great for allday working.

i used to work in the kitchens as well. I also used Global. Well balanced, easy to clean and good blades. They are Japanese though, not German ;)

Reactions: derjenigewelcher

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
i used to work in the kitchens as well. I also used Global. Well balanced, easy to clean and good blades. They are Japanese though, not German ;)

Hell i learned something from you, thanks:)
I love Global too, i sharpen it every 3 years thats enough.

Reactions: jpchub

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
One thing I would say, is that when I was younger, good knives were considered to be those that had a full bolster and tang, i.e. the blade was one piece and continued through the handle (as the tang) and a thicker metal part between handle and blade (the bolster) added heft and provided some protection to fingers.

Following this advice I collected a full set of fully forged Sabatiers. When I discovered German knives I tried Zwilling and then invested in a comprehensive set of Wusthof classics.

What I now realise is that a full bolster is not an advantage at all in my opinion and only gets in the way of sharpening consistently along the full blade. If you have a bolstered knife then, over time, as you wear away metal from sharpening and honing, it's difficult to avoid ending up with a concave shape to the blade which means the full length will no longer make contact with the chopping board.

So my recommendation is to consider Japanese style knives, which generally do not include a bolster. The steel tends to be superior to German knives and the blades are thinner and cut better.

Teetertank

Known Member
4/5/22
UK
Others have recommended Zwilling and Wusthof both of which are good solid performers. The range of knives in the classic line of Wusthofs is extensive -you'll find a knife for every occasion. Both makers have different ranges with differing quality of steel, the standard lines all use a run of the mill X50CrMoV15 stainless steel but sometimes heat treated slightly differently. Zwilling basic ranges have a harder steel than the basic Wusthof and I find them better, but the range of Wusthofs is more comprehensive and the weighting better in my opinion. The Germans are now taking a que from the Japanese and producing blades which are thinner and have no bolsters - which is a significant improvement if you ask me.

Prices of these German knives aren't excessive but they're not cheap either, and for similar money you can get better performing steel from a a mid-tier Japanese knife like Tojiro which will come in a range of steel types including high carbon, VG10 etc which can take a keener edge than a standard range German knife. But you'll need to consider who is using them and if they'll be abused by other family members/friend or put in the dishwasher etc, as better knifes tend to be more delicate.

Bart Bever

8/2/13
Belgium
Another Global fan here... I have the GF-33 as my favorite, Japanese knives for European hands they say. I agree.
Had some Chroma's (Porsche design), they look nice but I still prefer the Global.

Cheers!

John

Watchful
Certified
10/1/17
Guys I recently discovered that you can buy a whetstone on Amazon with angle guides now. It's been a real game changer!

Using a whetstone used to require skill but now anyone can get their knives super sharp again with the angle guide. Highly recommend you check it out.