• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Diet tracking -- how do you guys cope?

atgm

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
21/11/15
The adage goes "muscles are made in the kitchen," but how do you guys cope with your diet? Especially @erekose, since you've been doing this for close to three decades.

Do you track everything obsessively? Just have a general idea of how many calories are going in after long practice? Cheat days? Now that you have more muscle, you also have more leeway (via higher caloric expenditure) to eat some junk occasionally?

Gear? :p

Reactions: GI Johnny

vicente28

Known Member
23/10/16
Interested too, summer is coming...

Inviato dal mio SM-G920F utilizzando Tapatalk

mike 8

Legendary Member
13/8/11
I never looked at it as "dieting"
It is something that is required
to achieve your goal. I just make
smart choices. If you want to get technical,
you need 1/2 to 1 gram of protein for each
pound of lean muscle mass. If you don't feed
your body, your body will feed itself.
Eliminate salt, sugar, alchohol for 6 weeks
and see what happens. Increase water intake.
Eat clean, that is no sauces,gravies or frying.
I also pretty much eat the same thing everyday.
It's one less thing to think about.
Any nutrition book can outline the basics
and it wouldn't hurt to talk to someone that
has some credentials in the field of diet and
exercise.

Reactions: Katarsis

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
Eat clean, that is no sauces,gravies or frying.
I also pretty much eat the same thing everyday.
It's one less thing to think about.

It's simple to say that, but hard to execute for me. The time I was most successful in living like that was also one of the loneliest periods of my life, because I could never go out to eat with anyone (and that's a large part of social life in Japan). Or rather, I could, but I'd just sit there not eating.

mike 8

Legendary Member
13/8/11
I would think there is something on the menu
you could choose that would satisfy as well as
give your body what it needs. Here is a word
I believe is used quite often in Japan..."balance"
Once you achieve that, you will have clarity, and everything
falls into place. It really is not that hard.
Make a small change, then another. Before
you know it, you are there !
If you want to PM me with a specific question,
feel free.

erekose

Renowned Member
Supporter
13/2/12
Tokyo
I used to but over years and years you just know.
Myfitnesspal helps when I need to confirm.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

erekose

Renowned Member
Supporter
13/2/12
Tokyo
Just tracked my macros and calories on myfitness pal Friday. As I eat pretty much the same I just add it up once in a while to see where I am at. About 4700 kcals, 400p, 500c, 150f. Right about where I want to be especially as I lost about 8kg recently due to food poisoning....[emoji32]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Eliminate salt? Yikes, no bueno

+1 for myfitnesspal. It's funny this popped up. I actually just updated my account on mfp yesterday. I decided today is the day I need to start getting serious. My goal is to lose 30 lbs by September.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
Another vote for myfitnesspal. Weight control is all about calories. Exercise is good but does little for weight. Run 13 miles, burn 1500 calories. Big Mac/fries/soda and its moot. Sad.

Key is to figure out your base neutral calorie level. Unfortunately as you lose weight that number goes down......... everything is sad about weight.

Age and alcohol reduce your metabolic burn rate as well......sad.

I'm going to go get some chocolate now.

Reactions: sunrayminor

Retina

Certified
18/12/14
i went from 140kg to 65kg in a span of 2 years 7 years ago.

back than there wernt any such things as myfitnesspal or trackers.

I manually wrote what i ate and calculated the calories online reference books.

it is much easier today to weigh your portions and adjust in grams via myfitnesspal.

to condense what i've learned about long term sustained weight loss (and keep it)

1. go to a diet you can sustain for the long term
2. follow rule number 1

what i did to lose the weight.
1. ran 5km a day
2. calories went down to 1200 a day
3. gym sessions 2 hours a day
4. I did this for 2 years
5. cut all sugared drinks. only drink tea coffee and water.

what i do now to sustain
1. fast 18 hours a day, eat 6 hours window
2. i eat one huge meal (1,500 calories) and 500 calories for a small meal before ending my window eating time
3. i do the keto diet (been at it for 2 years) - it keeps my gut and waist small (32inch all year round while maintaining 12-16% bodyfat)
4. I work out 3 times in the gym per week - only do 30 mins per session, i go heavy.
5. I only do cardio when weight creeps up, over use of cardio is actually detrimental as your body gets used to it and compensates by being more efficient. So i limit my cardio to 4 times a month.
beside i hate that shit. its far easier to stop eating.

*keto diet is 75%fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs

chefzorba

20/5/16
Charlestown, SC
I've been at it for years. One thing I can say is that if you really get strict with your diet, calculating your macronutrient intake, weighing out your food, prepping meals for each day, hitting the gym consistently, it's works absolute wonders and you WILL see a difference.

The hardest part for some is the beginning. Tracking and weighing foods at the start sucks. It's annoying and takes up some time. But after a week or two, you can really start to eyeball with some accuracy what 4-8 oz of chicken looks like and the same for carbs.

I would suggest a complete newb to calculate their daily macros, if they want to gain or loose, take their number and then divide it for how many meals they want per day. 3-6 is good.

Once you get past the first week or two and your rhythm starts, you'll automatically be prepping and hitting your macros with ease.

I've actually never used an app or software to track calories because I've found them aometimes to have incorrect values for certain food areas. For instance 1/3 medium avocado...what the hell is that really?

Find what works for you and really give it a good two weeks to create a new habit and it will work wonders for you.

If you are trying to gain and haven't gained in a month, add more carbs and fat. Likewise with loosing.

Reactions: Katarsis

WatchestoPlay

Timelord
12/8/16
I use lose it. It has a ton of features both in free mode and in the updated paid version.

2fake4u

20/9/16
Another vote for My Fitness Pal.

If anything, it makes you actually think about what you are eating, which is the 1st step at least for me. Once you get your overeating/terrible eating habits out of the way, you can start worrying about more in depth tracking.

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
It's simple to say that, but hard to execute for me. The time I was most successful in living like that was also one of the loneliest periods of my life, because I could never go out to eat with anyone (and that's a large part of social life in Japan). Or rather, I could, but I'd just sit there not eating.

I used to be be extremely strict during the weekdays so that I could eat and drink what I wanted.
A normal day for me was eating below 1000 kcal. So even if i ate pizza and drank beers on the weekends my total intake was still low.

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
I've been at it for years. One thing I can say is that if you really get strict with your diet, calculating your macronutrient intake, weighing out your food, prepping meals for each day, hitting the gym consistently, it's works absolute wonders and you WILL see a difference.

The hardest part for some is the beginning. Tracking and weighing foods at the start sucks. It's annoying and takes up some time. But after a week or two, you can really start to eyeball with some accuracy what 4-8 oz of chicken looks like and the same for carbs.

I would suggest a complete newb to calculate their daily macros, if they want to gain or loose, take their number and then divide it for how many meals they want per day. 3-6 is good.

Once you get past the first week or two and your rhythm starts, you'll automatically be prepping and hitting your macros with ease.

I've actually never used an app or software to track calories because I've found them aometimes to have incorrect values for certain food areas. For instance 1/3 medium avocado...what the hell is that really?

Find what works for you and really give it a good two weeks to create a new habit and it will work wonders for you.

If you are trying to gain and haven't gained in a month, add more carbs and fat. Likewise with loosing.

+1

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
i went from 140kg to 65kg in a span of 2 years 7 years ago.

back than there wernt any such things as myfitnesspal or trackers.

I manually wrote what i ate and calculated the calories online reference books.

it is much easier today to weigh your portions and adjust in grams via myfitnesspal.

to condense what i've learned about long term sustained weight loss (and keep it)

1. go to a diet you can sustain for the long term
2. follow rule number 1

what i did to lose the weight.
1. ran 5km a day
2. calories went down to 1200 a day
3. gym sessions 2 hours a day
4. I did this for 2 years
5. cut all sugared drinks. only drink tea coffee and water.

what i do now to sustain
1. fast 18 hours a day, eat 6 hours window
2. i eat one huge meal (1,500 calories) and 500 calories for a small meal before ending my window eating time
3. i do the keto diet (been at it for 2 years) - it keeps my gut and waist small (32inch all year round while maintaining 12-16% bodyfat)
4. I work out 3 times in the gym per week - only do 30 mins per session, i go heavy.
5. I only do cardio when weight creeps up, over use of cardio is actually detrimental as your body gets used to it and compensates by being more efficient. So i limit my cardio to 4 times a month.
beside i hate that shit. its far easier to stop eating.

*keto diet is 75%fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs

Cudos sir.

ownREp

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/8/18
Germany
Do you track everything obsessively? yes with tracking app where you can scan your products
days? -> depends on what your going for, I would count calories
Now that you have more muscle, you also have more leeway (via higher caloric expenditure) to eat some junk occasionally? -> if it fits the diet plan

Gear? -> depends on what somebody's goal is, after 25 year's testosterone in our body is going upwards

komali_2

Woah ancient thread, but relevant now that I'm stuck at home.

Back at work it was easy - hit Proper Food during lunch, pick up whatever 2 items I wanted. It'd be a pretty good wrap or sandwich or salad type thing with lots of protein, everything fitting in somewhere between 500 - 700 calories. Eat one for lunch, one for dinner, maybe have an apple and a cappucino at some point, boom, there's a cut day.

Now I'm at my fucking parents house who are Wisconsinites and only eat meat with cheese and butter on it and literally nothing else so I'm over here obsessively weighing my meals, putting them in MyFitnessPal, and still not cutting anymore. Infuriating.

I've gotten to the point where I'm just stuffing my face with baby carrots until I really just gotta eat, then eat half a portion. Driving me nuts. I need this pandemic shit to end.

Camielvd

21/11/19
NL
I can highy recommend the RP diet app. It helps with logging your food and making sure you eat enough or not to much

GI Johnny

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/7/22
My fitness pal is golden! amazing for eating out at chains and still tracking macros. Helped me lose over 115lbs in a year. Currently building muscle, never felt better.