• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Exercise Section?

lethalspectre

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/5/16
Hello gang,
I thought for RWI's birthday I could lend my professional expertise.
Now, I'm not sure where this would go in the forum but I thought it would be cool to have a section where we talk about exercise.
We could share workouts, or workout ideas, even vague diet tips or meal prep ideas if that interests people.
I am an exercise physiologist for my job so I studied in college the human anatomy & physiology and how the body responds to exercise.
I could help give free guidance to members who are interested in staying in shape.
Just a thought

hurk

The sound of barf
Supporter
Certified
10/5/11
First day taking a RSP Quadralean.
Not good. Super jittery. Caffeine overload. Sweaty palms.

Actually second day i guess.
Tried yesterday before gym and i was a monster.

But not so good for work.

Used to workout religiously about 10 years ago then had severe back injury. Started getting back to the gym just last november.

hasel53128

I'm Pretty Popular
31/8/14
Only Exercise I get is from my manual job as a electrician.
Involves up and down stairs allday also up and down steps. do a lot of carrying and general moving of upper body.

Pretty healthy Diet but to much Beer.

55 years old and normal blood pressure

lethalspectre

19/5/16
First day taking a RSP Quadralean.
Not good. Super jittery. Caffeine overload. Sweaty palms.

Actually second day i guess.
Tried yesterday before gym and i was a monster.

But not so good for work.

Used to workout religiously about 10 years ago then had severe back injury. Started getting back to the gym just last november.
haha from personal experience I do not recommend pre-workout. Gives you too much caffeine and sugar.

lethalspectre

19/5/16
And thank you guys! I am at work so a little too busy right now unfortunately but I can tell you what I've been doing this week to switch things up.
I was lifting 2 days a week and cardio 2 days a week.
When I lifted would do Monday: Chest & Back & Core with supersets of 2-4 exercises in 3 sets of 15 then same on Wednesday but Arms and Legs with Core.
usually just 30 mins of non-stop cardio 2 days a week for the other stuff.

This week I'm trying the "supposed" Daniel Craig workout for the Bond movies.
It's a little different. He does full body 6 exercise circuit Mondays and Fridays for 4 sets of 10 with no rest (30 seconds or less) in between sets. He then does Tues-Thurs similar style but more specific muscle groups rather than full body.
On saturdays and sundays he does some sort of light cardio where he gets up and gets moving (light jog, hiking).
We will see how that goes since I enjoy being a lazy sack o shit on my weekends :)

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I pretty much stick to the diet in that article but with the addition of mint chip ice cream and old fashioned donuts. :biggrin:

Unfortunately we're not all blessed with a speedy metabolism and genetic makeup that lends itself to being "thin." As we men get older it's gets harder to keep that inner tube waist from developing. The big thing for me is just staying active and trying to keep flexible. Mental sharpness is key too, that's why I belong to RWI.

lethalspectre

19/5/16
I pretty much stick to the diet in that article but with the addition of mint chip ice cream and old fashioned donuts. :biggrin:

Unfortunately we're not all blessed with a speedy metabolism and genetic makeup that lends itself to being "thin." As we men get older it's gets harder to keep that inner tube waist from developing. The big thing for me is just staying active and trying to keep flexible. Mental sharpness is key too, that's why I belong to RWI.

Haha I feel it! I broke down and had chocolate pecan turtles tonight. Wish I had Craig's physique though

Sent from the RWI mobile app

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Haha I feel it! I broke down and had chocolate pecan turtles tonight. Wish I had Craig's physique though

Oh those turtles are yummy. Ok I have to be strong now get those turtles out of my brain. One thing that's not so good is we live in a culture where everything is so readily available and the choices are numerous, some good and some not so good. It takes real discipline just going grocery shopping in choosing the right food.

Fiddo

-----
Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
I like the idea of your thread.

Well, let's see. I currently do the treadmill 5-6 days a week. Usually 60 minutes at 7-8 degree incline at a fast walking pace, 3.8ish mph. Also lift the weights...try to fit in two days...usually only one makes it in though, :) We tried the Paleo diet months back. I found it just a bit too restrictive and have "modified" it somewhat. I can say ....I no longer eat any processed foods, no fast food. Eat lots of chicken, fish and vegetables. I really like asparagus, so, that gets prepared in a variety of different ways.

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
I am an exercise physiologist for my job so I studied in college the human anatomy & physiology and how the body responds to exercise.
I could help give free guidance to members who are interested in staying in shape.
Just a thought

That's really generous of you! I predict an overloaded inbox. ;)

I'll have to ask around a bit to see what people think about adding a new section for exercise... I think one major worry would be "how much do we need it" since there aren't often exercise topics in the off-topic forum.

On a personal note, I moved to Tokyo five years ago at 74 kg or so; after five years of an incredibly stressful job with 100+ hour weeks and destroying my diet with fast food, I'm now clocking in at 106 kg at only 31 years old... the fact that I can't even buy shirts that fit here is a real wakeup, so I'm starting by moderating my intake first to try to get to 90ish before I even look at running -- at this weight, just plain old walking for a while kills my ankles.

lethalspectre

19/5/16
That's really generous of you! I predict an overloaded inbox. ;)

I'll have to ask around a bit to see what people think about adding a new section for exercise... I think one major worry would be "how much do we need it" since there aren't often exercise topics in the off-topic forum.

On a personal note, I moved to Tokyo five years ago at 74 kg or so; after five years of an incredibly stressful job with 100+ hour weeks and destroying my diet with fast food, I'm now clocking in at 106 kg at only 31 years old... the fact that I can't even buy shirts that fit here is a real wakeup, so I'm starting by moderating my intake first to try to get to 90ish before I even look at running -- at this weight, just plain old walking for a while kills my ankles.

I can understand that brother! It's hard. I'm always open to help people here!

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
I used to be super fit and an athlete but chronic injuries and health problems have kept me away from training the last 3 years unfirtunately. Now I've been on a high dose of prednisone the last four months and I went from needing to lose 20 lbs to now 45 lbs. (Prednisone makes you fat).

I'll share with you guys the rehab that I've been doing shortly. My pelvis injury is finally progressing after cortisone injection into my pubis. But my neck is bad and I need surgery. So I'm basically just trying to get by there.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
@Maron That sounds rough... hope your rehab goes smoothly. An injection into your pubis sounds as painful as all get out, though... I hope that's not a regular thing!

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
@Maron That sounds rough... hope your rehab goes smoothly. An injection into your pubis sounds as painful as all get out, though... I hope that's not a regular thing!
It's an xray guided injection, I called it "me, four dudes, and my cock n'balls". It was an interesting experience. They froze me first. There was no guarantee it would work, and if it did, how long it would last. Luckily it's been nearly six months and I'm still making progress. I think I'm allowed to do two more only, hopefully I won't need to.

I'm. So happy it worked because at least now I can do some form of activity, with my lower body anyway.

Upper body is a no go, I can barely do regular daily things let alone exercise. It certainly gets me out of doing a lot of chores though :)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
They froze you? I'm not sure whether to like that post because you're making progress or dislike it because that still sounds super painful.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
I've been a gym rat and outdoor activity enthusiast for most of my (oldish) life. And I always have an opinion. ;)

I hope that the youngsters who check this thread do or will take exercise seriously and accept it as a lifestyle, not a shortcut to six-pack abs or some such short-term narcissistic expected outcome. And, please, no anabolic steroids. They shrink your stones, if nothing else.

atgm

Patron
21/11/15
@tommy_boy The lifestyle's the problem... proper diet and exercise are always the first things to go out the window when I'm stressed and low on time!

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
@tommy_boy The lifestyle's the problem... proper diet and exercise are always the first things to go out the window when I'm stressed and low on time!

I completely get that. We're all busy. A friend of mine who is a neckless rugby player put it best: Exercise First. Plan your exercise and the other stuff will fall in place after. After work, after family, after everything else that matters.

Reactions: bangor