• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

9mm versus .40 cal. versus .45 acp .....will they penetrate a cast iron skillet ?

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Haven’t watched this yet, but I have seen .32 FMJ penetrate chrome car bumpers (the heavy 60-70’s era kind) when fired out of a Walther PP.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Best comments I saw after watching the video-

Condition for the Transition 172 days ago
Cast iron is a very brittle metal. That's why you can break cast iron pipe with what is called snap cutters. It won't matter if it is made in China or in the states. Even a 22 will break cast iron. Cast iron has alot of inpureities in it which is why magnets work real well. The more inpureities you take out the less the magnets work and the stronger the metal is like stainless steel. The real impressive test is seeing different calibers hit steel and seeing there mark.8
photo.jpg

WHO_TEE_WHO

WHO_TEE_WHO2 days ago
Thanks for watching!REPLY
Rich S

Rich S2 days ago
Condition for the Transition 17 that's exactly right, always a surprise that more people don't know that. Sounds like you have done some plumbing? Or maybe machine work like myself?
photo.jpg

Condition for the Transition 17

Condition for the Transition 172 days ago
Rich S Yes, I am a colorado Master Plumber. I saw this video and I knew exactly what would happen. I think a sling shot in the hands of the right person would break that skillet. Thanks

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Yes, I have shot at old cast iron skillets, and a .22LR ctg shot from a rifle will penetrate it handily indeed. Cast iron is very brittle. But never tried it with a handgun. Fear of a richochet I guess ! But the .45acp on steel plates sure as heck puts them down with ease and authority. It is still a sledgehammer. And easier and more manageable to shoot then a damn .40 s&w.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
You’ve never had a 230gr FMJ bounce back at you off of a pepper popper I take it. I had one put me on my knees after having it bounce back at me and hit me in the groin during a match.
Never had bad luck with 165gr. 40 S&W with steel myself. I always ran loads at 170pf and put poppers down pretty easily.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
On pepper poppers it is always important that they are made of the right steel. Secondly, the upright angle of the pepper popper is always a consideration. Col. Jeff Cooper himself [ met him in the early days of Combat shooting and IPSEC, yes I am that old] always lectured on these very important considerations. There are safe steel targets and then there are unsafe ones. I use flat nosed 230 grains on them. A safer bullet design for steel. Hornady continues to make them. ............ best regards, and practice when you can my friend.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
SUMIKITO, I prefer the profile of RN myself. I stick to that bullet profile to limit feed issues when I am "playing". Only got back to shooting USPSA/IPSC/3G in the last few years after taking a very extended break from it.

Can't say I have met Col. Cooper, but being a former jarhead I have immense respect for the man, and how he brought us into the 20th century with his modern (at the time) techniques.