• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The 9mm, .40 S&W, or the 45ACP, what do you prefer ??

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
The endless debate among most handgun shooters in America never ends. Each has his own reason why he prefers one cartridge over another. Now here is a funny look into why this debate will never end !! First the 9mm :
and here is a look at the guys who like the the .40 S&W cartridge :
........And now for the .45ACP guys, [old timers?} or wise decision ?? :
......... So, ahh, what would you rather have when the Zombies come to get you ??

SUMIKITO

Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
An oldie but a goodie, another Hitler parody video regarding Americas favorite pistol, the GLOCK !!
........... cant help myself, LMAO !!

liq2

Known Member
4/12/16
Here's what I have owned throughout the years. Glock 17 (9mm), Sig 21 (.45), Sig 2022 (9mm), Sig P226 (9mm), sig p227 (.45), Ruger mkii (.22), 1911' (.45) Several .357 revolvers.

Each has their own pluses and minus. Really it comes dow to which is the most accurate for you. For me my favorite and the one I sleep with at night is the P226. Accuracy, site picture, all of it just so perfect in so many ways.

You'll notice that I never have had a .40. Having shot them at ranges, I just find them really "poppy" and tough to handle. I will return a .45 to the collection sooner or later, but 9mm is such a wonderful round in so many ways.

Oh and everyone needs a .22 in the collection for those days when you just feel like shooting a few hundred round on the cheap or are taking a new shooter out for the first time.

gw4k

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
28/8/10
Ive owned them all...it all goes down to your most accurate gun imho.

im most accurate in all sizes in 9mm (fullsize glock 17, compact 19, subcompact 26)

im almost as accurate with a 1911 Government in 45acp as I am in 9mm. I grew up on a 1911, so it is familiar to me.

im not that accurate on any 40sw gun, glock 22, 23, 27, sig p229, mp40 so i got rid of all of those and all of my 40sw ammo.

im only left with my 1911s, glock 26, 17 and now ccw a cz pp07, it is the best of both worlds to me....hi cap compact 9mm that fits my hand like a 1911.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Bren 10 FTW! Prefably the Jeff Cooper version if you can find one if not the ss "Crockett" model.
Out of your three the .40 would be my choice. 9mm is a good killer but its instant knockdown power just isn't there and the .45 is overkill.

tchockie

Renowned Member
2/5/14
HAHA SUMI those videos, I just watched them recently. So true.

I'm a 9mm lover. I like it when I'm occasinally range shooting 40 and 45, cuz it feels powerful, but at home I only have 9mm. Under duress I woud feel more confident placing several well placed 9mm shots than I am with the others, and my target re-acquisition is much faster with 9mm. Totally nothing against the bigger cals, just my personal opinion of myself. But I'm ready to unload the clip with the 9mm tho if it comes down to it. Too bad I only have 10 rounds (DAMMIT CALIFORNIA)

Also, 9mm rounds so cheap! Gotta save money for my reps!

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
If its zombies, .45 all day long. If its against the run of the mill miscreants that invade homes, try and steal cars or are looking for a good time at my expense, hollow-point 9mm's will do the trick just fine haha.

phaytal

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/3/16
I've owned all three and I always find myself going back to .40, and my favorite pistol going on 2 years now is my Walther P99 in .40.

Sent from the RWI mobile app

JackJ1980

Mythical Poster
20/6/16
All depends on what it is for. Defense I'm all .45. Have a sig p220. Also liked the H&K and can't go wrong with 1911. For general 9mm is easiest to shoot and cheapest bullets. .40 is a fun gun but more if you're going concealed. All personal opinion though.

SUMIKITO

Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
I always imagine a scenario were a big huge drunken Sumo wrestler has gone out of his mind with a big giant machete and is trying to break into your door. Now, you have three guns, a 9 mm, a .40 cal., and a .45 acp. But here is the catch, each has one cartridge in the chamber only. [you had no time to find the magazines inside your cluttered gun safe.] You panicked ! ..... And that is all you got. One of your arms is in a sling, from a recent injury too ! Oh, God ! ..........So what are you gonna pick folks. Just one, now. Just one ! The door is almost down, and here he comes, grunting and hollering. Which one pistol will you stake your life on ??

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
.45, center mass and a blade in my wounded arm just in case.

Of course, if he attacks with a raspberry, the easiest thing to do is pull the lever and a 16-ton weight smashes the raspberry-laden, sumo assailant and the raspberry. Problem solved.

Sent from the RWI mobile app