• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I'm looking for a .22LR Handgun

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I recently acquired a vintage WWII Beretta here....
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/beretta-1934-134457
And now I'm hooked on target shooting. Thanks to IDK and revhrd, I'm now in the market for a .22LR Semi Auto pistola. :maty:

True, but a lot less expensive to feed.

I have .22 conversions for my AR's and my Glock pistols.

They can be fun, inexpensive and no recoil. About $20 for 500 rds. cheaper than 500 golf balls at the range lol.

I would like a modern looking medium to regular size plinker and have my eyes on these three so far.

1) Ruger SR22
2) Sig Sauer Mosquito
3) Walther P22

I have read a bunch on these three and wondered if any of you suggest I look into anything else? I am leaning more towards #1 or #2. The Walther seems to have some issues.

Thanks for your input. :)

bradj

I'm Pretty Popular
21/7/12
Sig Mosquito.. Hands down.

I shoot one all the time.. but with a silencer :) Its a great gun. I will say it only likes CCI mini mags, but I suspect other .22 pistols are the same?

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I had a Ruger 22 many years ago, very accurate and fun to shoot plus it's a cool looking gun.

P4GTR

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
9/9/07
The p22 has plenty enough issues to keep me away from it. Slide failure for one..
The fact that the model is made by a pellet gun manufacturer (umarex) and not Walther seals the no deal.

brokenWALTHERslide732.jpg

Walther%20P22%20Slide%20Break%201-2.jpg

The Sig is no better. They are plagued as well with bad reviews of issues like horrible triggers, finicky w/ ammo, etc.

You said you want something "new style" looking and I suspect you like the idea of a cool looking pistol that fires cheap ammo. I hope you aren't intending on carrying 22lr for defense. Just saying.

Obvious choices for a high quality .22 plinker are the Ruger MkIII's or Browning Buckmark's. They are odd looking guns though, and as silly as it sounds that detracts me from it to a degree.

For budget friendly, better looking..

Have a look at the Beretta U22 Neos, it's built better, new age looks, and has some cool options like a carbine kit so you can pretend it's an assault rifle.

http://www.berettausa.com/products/u22-neos/

Or another great choice IMO would be The Bersa Thunder in .22LR. I pretty much EDC my Bersa Thunder in .380, and it is an exceptional firearm. They look cool, 007 style cool since they look just like a Walther PPK. My father has the PPK, I have the Bersa, I like mine better. My father has had issues, I never have. The price is excellent, the reviews are phenomenal, it's just one hell of a great choice for the money. The .22 shouldn't run you more than ~$300. Just don't decide to buy it chambered in .380 and think it will also be cheap for target shooting, you mine as well be buying 9mm or .45.)

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/178/products_id/72192

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Ruger Mk1/2/3 variant....

It has been around forever, and parts are easy to find.

boosted353

Horology Curious
28/2/13
I absolutely love my SR22. It shoots anything I put through it and hasn't had an issue after a few thousand rounds. I find myself shooting it more than anything else I own because of how much fun it is.

I really want to get a tax stamp and buy a suppressor, but I just can't justify the cost. It sure does look fun though!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6drCYGT5Bdo"]Ruger SR22 22lr SILENCED pistol test custom threaded by rockinguns - YouTube[/ame]

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Looks like I'm leaning more towards the Ruger SR22. I'm sure the MK1/2/3 would be better for target shooting though.

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
I like the SR22 for sure. They do beg for suppressors though!

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I just paid for the Ruger SR-22. :bounce:

Now I must wait the 10 days.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
They offer it with a silver slide but it's not approved on CA 's approved handgun list. Even though it has the same specs.

3607.jpg

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
pics when it comes in!

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
They offer it with a silver slide but it's not approved on CG's approved handgun list. Even though it has the same specs.

3607.jpg

Stainless just looks too gangsta which makes it more deadly.....

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
So I stroll in and take the HSC Test, I get 100% and was all excited to pick up my SR22. But...........

I failed to read up
reading.gif
on when the 10 day waiting period starts. Not from the date I purchased it. it's from the date I take the test.
112.gif

Now I have to wait until 4/17
balloony.gif

Rudy40

Banned
6/10/12
So I stroll in and take the HSC Test, I get 100% and was all excited to pick up my SR22. But...........

I failed to read up
reading.gif
on when the 10 day waiting period starts. Not from the date I purchased it. it's from the date I take the test.
112.gif

Now I have to wait until 4/17
balloony.gif
Well that sucks. But it will be worth it in the end.
Congrats on a nice little piece.
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

P4GTR

Banned
9/9/07
what a pain in the ass