• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Welcome to the brig - Horologyhouse

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
There are a lot of morons out there with more money than sense. Many of them just looking for some way to prove they are important once they realized having a bunch of money doesn’t really mean anything. They eat this type of shit up.

To be fair, we ALL fit into this too.

The whole watch game is a mugs game... every person on the planet (alright, not 3rd worlds) carries a phone... watches are redundant, save for a few niche areas.
Casio G-Shock - Radio Controlled digital watch for £50-60 is more accurate than any of our watches, including gens/reps whatever.

We just have the knowledge that it can be done cheaper, with little difference to an item 10x the price.
But we're still mugs, we're still paying way over the odds for a gadget that is simply not relevant in modern times!

tmp2018

Renowned Member
28/5/17
i read he is a gambling addict - so overall i feel sorry for his family.

as this is "people get shot for stuff like that"-material, i hope for everyone involved, that everything can be cleared up and solved.

Cheeps

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Patron
Certified
24/11/18
i read he is a gambling addict - so overall i feel sorry for his family.

as this is "people get shot for stuff like that"-material, i hope for everyone involved, that everything can be cleared up and solved.

Na. I'm not buying that. He'd say anything to make people pitty him. Jesus man he's even saying he couldn't deliver a watch because his wife had a miscarriage on top of the AUS fires and NZ volcano. This guy is a sociopath.

Last edited:

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
Na. I'm not buying that. He'd say anything to make people pitty him. Jesus man he's even saying he couldn't deliver a watch because his wife had a miscarriage on top of the AUS fires and NZ volcano. This guy is a sociopath.

100%

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
To be fair, we ALL fit into this too.

The whole watch game is a mugs game... every person on the planet (alright, not 3rd worlds) carries a phone... watches are redundant, save for a few niche areas.
Casio G-Shock - Radio Controlled digital watch for £50-60 is more accurate than any of our watches, including gens/reps whatever.

We just have the knowledge that it can be done cheaper, with little difference to an item 10x the price.
But we're still mugs, we're still paying way over the odds for a gadget that is simply not relevant in modern times!

Its just male jewellery mate. Of course mechanical watches suck at keeping time but man they're pretty :) we’re all just magpies who like shiny things. Except the vintage guys, they like stuff that used to be shiny.

DD60

Eagle Eyed Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
28/4/17
Unfortunately there has always been and always will be individuals seeking opportunities to separate one from his/her hard earned money. The opportunities for these scammers to conduct these scams are predominately provided by the honest buyer. It is up to each of us to prevent the opportunity to be scammed.

The most effective way to protect ourselves is to exercise our own due diligence when it comes to purchasing anything from anyone. We must educate ourselves before we make any major purchase for any amount we can not afford to lose.

Using a bit of common sense also goes a long way. We've all heard that if something sounds to be to good to be true, it probably is. A basic example is if the value of an item is $25k and someone is selling it for $20k, then a red flag should pop up in your mind. Learn to trust our common sense and investigate why somone is willing to loose money when selling an item. Why would a stranger selling such a high valued item for anything less than it's value. Why would we allow ourselves to blindly send a large sum of $ to a stranger a half a world away?
Why not just leave the doors to your home wide open, or why not leave your brand new expensive car sitting with a full tank of gas and keys in a high risk crime area?
Common sense says we wouldn't. No matter how much we want to trust someone to be honest, it's just not realistic to do so. We can only rely on and trust
ourselves when it comes to protecting our valuables, our money.

If we want buy a $20k watch then we must be able to afford it. If not, then maybe that $20k watch is not for us right now. Once we do committ to purchasing that $20k watch, then we should only do so by using an authorized dealer with a positive and proven business history. If we choose to buy from an individual, try to buy locally from somone that you can meet face to face. Remember to "buy the seller." Only buy from somone that is willing to meet you at an authorized dealer to have the watch checked out and confirmed by dealers watchsmith. At the very least arrange for your purchase amount to be held in escrow until you can have the watch authorized by an AD. Honestly, doing anything less only opens the opportunity to be scammed. Don't allow the opportunity to be scammed.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Na. I'm not buying that.

I'm buying it; you know why? Firstly because this has been a topic of discussion for some time on the inside of the Aussie watch trade circuit, people had noticed his gambling. Perth is not a large town, if you are known, traits like that will get noticed. Secondly, regardless of what some appear to think (and with respect to the TRF crowd) he's a piss poor scammer. A good scammer isn't sending back money neither id he waiting 2.5 months to provide a 29k watch and then sending a fake, a good scammer isn't using a fake box and papers that anyone with any knowledge can tell isn't real. A good scammer would have slapped a genuine crystal and dial in that sucker and tracked down a real box and papers set. A good scammer would have done these and not been caught out in two days by a crappy box. This reeks far more of desperation not forethought and planning.

Thirdly, we see hare a classic decent into chaos, the BS and lies build up over a year or so from simple long wait times to end with missing watches and substituted fakes, I will almost guarantee this is a result of Chris (whom I have never met or interacted with outside of being aware of his existence and being told by industry folk that there were trust issues beginning to build) sinking deeper ad deeper into the jaws of addiction. I've seen it before, I know how this works, we've had our fair share here as people are aware. This is not an excuse, it's a reason.

For the above reasons I doubt we will see many more fakes uncovered from this (that was I feel a last desperate move on his part) but I bet a few more missing watches emerge. Then there are those who will never admit to being done over, their reputation is more important to them than 40 or 50k.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
There are people on TRF who should know better claiming it "takes years of training" to be that good a scammer. Can someone show me just one instance where he was even a mediocre scammer?

DaleM

I'm Pretty Popular
25/8/18
Central Florida
There are people on TRF who should know better claiming it "takes years of training" to be that good a scammer. Can someone show me just one instance where he was even a mediocre scammer?

Correct, good.scammers assume others identities, create mock websites with update positive reviews,, and have a black hole for your money.

Sirwatchalot

Known Member
16/11/16
I really hope there aren't a bunch of people out there about to find out they’d been scammed out of tens of thousands of dollars. If I was personally affected I would pursue the appropriate criminal and civil legal avenues, but I’d imagine others would prefer vigilante justice. I have absolutely no clue, but I imagine hits have been put out before over smaller amounts of money than 20k.

Please note I’m not advocating violence in any way shape or form, but I would be shitting bricks in his shoes.

Sadly, the numbers seem much higher.. around $275k

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8IVdSZBAfh/?igshid=1bxtszxkld2f9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
Wow, just... Wow ((

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk Pro

AndyDav55

Known Member
Certified
13/2/18
Man this still baffles my mind. You’d think he’d be a stand up guy considering his online presence and demeanour.

this is frieken hilarious and unfortunate.

Sirwatchalot

Known Member
16/11/16
What is BHP?

They’re an Australian mining, metals and petroleum company.

43bn operating revenue and 111bn worth of assets.

They mostly deal in the mining of iron ore, coal, petroleum, copper, natural gas, nickel & uranium

Reactions: EZGoatRider