• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Modern A7750 concerns...

Robocop322

Known Member
21/6/14
Ok I have read for about 3 hours and have a basic grasp of what I need to know however I am still a little lost. If I understand correct the native most reliable A7750 will have the 6-9-12 sub dials with the seconds at 9. The 7753 is basically the same however with sub dials at 3-6-9 that allows for less transfer gears and no sunken date problems (whatever that is). It took me forever to figure out all the different terms however I see this is a topic that has been beaten to death for years. The reason I began reading up on this was due to a sale thread I was watching. I was close to buying a Tag chrono simply because I really enjoyed the look. When I started researching the rep movement ,of this certain rep, I found information saying it was decent as long as the end user followed all kinds of restrictions.

No hand winding, never set the date between certain times, if the chrono is moving never stop it with the chrono hand in a certain position, try to not use the chrono feature too much, try not to use the chrono on lower power, watch for misaligned pushers and the list just went on and on. It kind of scared me away from the purchase. Honestly I would most likely never use the chrono feature however if I ever had to I am sure I would forget one of the many restrictions and mess it up. My question is are these restrictions I have read about truly as bad as I have read and if so is this only for the A7750 and not the true ETA 7750? I also read that many problems arise from dirty movements and poor assembly even on brand new reps. I am fine with paying for service on a new rep if needed however also read that not many are willing to work on the A7750.

I thought about placing this in the flame free zone as I am sure this comes up often however after reading for hours I found all the threads just talked about it being hit or miss with performance upon arrival. I did not find much on actual user error causing the problems and I am trying to figure out if all the weird restrictions are something to worry about on a modern A7750 rep with the 6-9-12 configuration and seconds at 9. My brother in law has a gen Tag chrono and he said his manual did not mention any restrictions such as what I have read.

So basically I can probably eventually figure out most of the pros and cons on my own if I keep reading. For now I believe I can get by with two questions to help me choose a chrono style rep. One if I do get a chrono will I have the best luck by choosing the A7750 in the 6-9-12 with seconds at 9 configuration? And two if I do choose this configuration what are the must follow rules for the end user? Please do not roast me as I have brain fog from reading so many old threads.

mari115

Put Some Respect On My Name
9/6/18
Nearer than you think
One if I do get a chrono will I have the best luck by choosing the A7750 in the 6-9-12 with seconds at 9 configuration? And two if I do choose this configuration what are the must follow rules for the end user? Please do not roast me as I have brain fog from reading so many old threads.

I owned an old 7750 daytona with working subdials, one of those with very unreliable gear bridges that could explode any moment, I'm pretty sure that regardless of the kind of movement / mods none of the 7750 reps will break /stop working as intended as long as you don't touch the chrono. Use them as a time / date watch, forget about the chrono function and you should extend their life considerably ;)

As they say the best contraceptive is abstinence :thumbsup:

Reactions: P..DR..D

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
There's one simple answer to your two questions: Buy whatever chrono watch you most like the look of. Because this is, after all, the most important factor.

And then if you find yourself in a situation where a chrono would be useful, use your phone.

Robocop322

Known Member
21/6/14
Thank you both for the advice and I believe I will stick with what looks nice to me and will skip the other functions. I went down the chrono rabbit hole and found out very quickly that I need to do much more reading. I have a co-worker who has a Damasko chrono that he paid 2500 dollars for and he has no idea as to the movement details. He said he bought it simply for the looks and the reputation of their hardened case. When I started reading up on their products I learned the term "in house movements" and I quickly became lost yet again.

Reactions: p0pperini

hanski

Renowned Member
25/4/18
You're asking a lot in your first question and I'll try to provide a simple, straightforward answer.

The A7750 is a decent movement that doesn't undergo very good quality control. It probably equivalent or less equivalent to a basic grade, economy ETA 7750. Because this is the quality of movement the parts aren't particularly refined - poor tolerances between wheels, rough surfaces, badly assembled, etc. The result of this is decent performance but not great. Some of this can get sorted with a service and/or new mainspring. Sometimes it cannot.

The modified A7750 that relocates the subdial positions is the same movement as described above but it has extra wheels, between 3-11 extra depending on the subdial configuration. These simply add many more opportunities for poor tolerances, rough surfaces, bad assembly, etc. Again, sometimes issues can be solved with a service, sometimes not.

Unfortunately it's a crapshoot to know where yours lands on the spectrum of assembly until you have it in hand and start in on wearing and using functions.

None of this should really sway you away from getting the watch that appeals to you. As has been said, get what you like and enjoy it.

Oh, and the bit about when to quickset dates, that's important for ALL 7750's, Asian clones and ETA's for all watch brands. The way the date change works, if you try to quickset between 10p - 2a you will break the date changing wheel. I can't count how many of these I've replaced - especially on genuine Breitlings. Something about Breitling owners... ;)

Robocop322

Known Member
21/6/14
Hanski thank you for the response and I do believe I have figured out most of my concerns after reading further. What confused me at first was I searched google for 7750 movement. I found all kinds of information stating that the 7750 was a workhorse movement and had been trusted by many makers for years. The problem was I had no idea that there were several variations and the swiss ETA 7750 was showing up first in most of my searches. When I narrowed my searches to "rep A7750" I began finding all the negative information concerning the 7750 found in many reps. I kind of slowly figured out that a rep A7750 was different than the original workhorse that was so highly praised. I then learned as to why so many problems were reported and much of it was due to quality control , inferior parts, and poor assembly.

Honestly for the low cost of a decent rep chrono I think I will buy what I like and if it breaks there is no big loss. I am actually now watching videos about watch movements and the sheer number of moving parts ,along with the micro size internals, just boggles my mind. It seems like a miracle that anything so intricate would work yet somehow it does. I really have a new found respect for the old school watch makers. Even a video of routine service amazed me. How can anyone remember the order of reassembly and all those microscopic screws and gears....simply fascinating to me.

Thank you again and I think I may reconsider that Tag Aquaracer.

pistebasher

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/6/20
UK
Hanski thank you for the response and I do believe I have figured out most of my concerns after reading further. What confused me at first was I searched google for 7750 movement. I found all kinds of information stating that the 7750 was a workhorse movement and had been trusted by many makers for years. The problem was I had no idea that there were several variations and the swiss ETA 7750 was showing up first in most of my searches. When I narrowed my searches to "rep A7750" I began finding all the negative information concerning the 7750 found in many reps. I kind of slowly figured out that a rep A7750 was different than the original workhorse that was so highly praised. I then learned as to why so many problems were reported and much of it was due to quality control , inferior parts, and poor assembly.

Honestly for the low cost of a decent rep chrono I think I will buy what I like and if it breaks there is no big loss. I am actually now watching videos about watch movements and the sheer number of moving parts ,along with the micro size internals, just boggles my mind. It seems like a miracle that anything so intricate would work yet somehow it does. I really have a new found respect for the old school watch makers. Even a video of routine service amazed me. How can anyone remember the order of reassembly and all those microscopic screws and gears....simply fascinating to me.

Thank you again and I think I may reconsider that Tag Aquaracer.

If you are worried about it there are several gifted watchmakers on this forum who will completely service the movement. This will involve disassembly, ultrasonic cleaning, correct lubrication and reassembly. After that you'll be good for many years of reliable service.

Reactions: kavorca1

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Get it serviced if you get one. Because mine seems now dead after 5 years and I did exactly everything you wrote up :D I even never pushed the Chrono :D today I tried to wear it. Like I always to shake it softly but it would not spin so I shake it more often and it run for a few seconds and then..... That's it. Dead since :D iam not sure what happened. I really took care of this movement but it seems like it's completely dead. First watch that died... All other movements (mostly 2824/2813/3135) all do work.

Now comes the funny part I had exactly the same problem with a gen ETA 7750.

That was fixed during a service under warranty.

So for my part that was my last Chrono. Iam done with that kind of movements.

Maybe Iam sending it to a watchsmith. What really pisses me off I could not really wear it because of covid. So it was the first time since a year and then this... Sometimes it's just pure pain.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 4a (5G) mit Tapatalk

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Last Chrono in general was never a fan of it. Only bought it because I liked the design of the watch and the panda is not my typ of watch :D

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 4a (5G) mit Tapatalk

Reactions: mari115

Robocop322

Known Member
21/6/14
I believe I will simply buy something and have it serviced before I wear it just as a precaution. I believe a rep costing a few hundred dollars is perfect for trying out something new and if a service can help me enjoy it longer then that is even better. I have no chronos in my collection and if I like the rep well enough I would save for a nicer gen chrono later. A gen Tag is within reach and I really like many of the Damasko versions as well.

I am just starting to really enjoy learning about watches however have been wearing various automatic watches for years. Low level items such as Seiko, Vostok, Phoibos, rep Sinn U1, and a recent rep Sub. I am ashamed to say that I never knew about the date setting rule as after reading I have found this is a well known thing that applies to many movements in both gen and reps. I just feel after lurking about various watch forums for years I should have known this somehow. Regardless I think the advice of a good service first thing is sound advice. A little off topic however there is no place even close to me that can service a watch. I do know we have many excellent sources among the members here that can assist. Can anyone comment on what a good service should cost?

I do know that pressure testing, defective parts, and other things can come up and effect the price. Lets just say on a basic A7750 chrono with the 6-9-12 layout brand new. A routine service with cleaning and regulation could cost about what on average? After watching videos of the crazy complicated internals I would have no problem paying for anyone who could do such a difficult and delicate task. I think my next reading assignment will be through the members in the U.S. that offer such services. After the advice on this thread I am convinced that I will probably add a first service on many future purchases just in case. Or at least to any watch over a few hundred dollars or one I plan on keeping a while. Great information and thank you all for the help.

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
150-200 dollars sometimes maybe more depends on the watchsmith for service.

Last edited:

Robocop322

Known Member
21/6/14
Sounds like a reasonable investment for such a complicated process. I have been looking through the watchmaker section here and thus far I like Katt's reviews as well as Oascom, and Watch Services NY. I see some on our list that show older reviews and I will need to figure out who is still currently available. I can figure that out on my own with a few PM's so no worries there. Good thread and I appreciate the information. I purchased a gen Longines Flagship for my wife at Christmas and I believe I will go ahead and have hers serviced as well.....thank you all again.

Energo

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
18/4/18
You need to buy a watch you like, take out the A7750 and throw it in the trash, then buy an ETA7750 and install this movement instead of the Asian one. The price of this will not be much more expensive than the service of the A7750 and you will get many years of enjoyment from the trouble-free operation of your watch.

Last edited:

Robocop322

Known Member
21/6/14
Energo thank you for the advice and I do believe this would be the best option. I think I may need to learn my way around the watch forums a little more just to be sure that I would actually know how to recognize an actual ETA 7750 vs the A7750. I really became kind of frustrated after trying to read up on just a simple chronograph movement. It seems there are all kinds of not so genuine ETA7750 movements floating around. I have been watching the M2M sales area waiting for a decent Chrono in the U.S. to show up. I figured I would just buy something and if it later broke I would simply find something to replace the movement. When I first posted this thread I was looking around on Ebay and found listings for "genuine ETA 7750" that were usually about 430 dollars.

After actually looking at the pictures I really thought they all "looked" the same to me and quickly figured out that regardless of what was actually advertised I would never know a true ETA7750 just by looking at one. After trying to figure out all the variations I was finding (A7750, Valjoux 7750, ETA7750....etc) I just kind of figured I would take the first decent chrono that I found under our sales section here and enjoy it until it stopped working. Still waiting as the good M2M stuff in the U.S. seems to get sold pretty quickly around here. Regardless thank you for the advice.

alok87

Known Member
4/12/17
You can get a Tag chronograph for like $1500 on eBay… why buy fake chronos?

I bought a nice Swiss Hamilton Jazzmaster auto chrono for $460

Robocop322

Known Member
21/6/14
alok87 thank you for the suggestion and I have considered a gen. My concern with that is I have read many stories of people passing off fakes as gen items online. If I have learned anything here it is that there are some very good reps out there and also some shady people on Ebay. I am now saving for either a gen Tag , Breitling, or even a gen Damasko chrono purchased from a gen dealer.

Steve2308

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
3/6/09
I have a Tag Heuer Aquaracer CAF2011. Bought it in 2009-2010. I wear it several times a year as it's one of my two most loved reps.. the other being the Carrera Day Date which I think is 7-8 years old now. They both keep perfect time and work flawlessly. so far.
They were top quality reps in their time. Very happy with them and I do take a lot of care with the limitations they have.

For the cost of a service, you can buy A7750's from Aliexpress from about $120AUD delivered.. pay a little more ($160~) and you'll get one that's finished far nicer for those display back watches like the Carrera. Easy to swap the swinging weights too if you have a logo'd one.
Even found a lovely 7751 for about $220 that looks rather nice for an Omega Day Date I'd like to mod.

Only thing is you have to swap hands and the dial. Something I've done quite a lot of times. Takes practice but isn't hard if you have the right tools
Thought I'd throw that in.
Now buying a movement from Aliexpress might have it's own issues but having purchased a few seagull movements in the recent past to fix a few cheaper quality reps I wear more often it doesn't make sense to pay $$$ to get them serviced when a new factory "fresh" movement is such an inexpensive option.
just my 0.02c