• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A7750 permanently remove rotor good or bad idea?

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
ive got a IWC 3714 with the new slim movement A7750, as usual the rotor is very noisy, I know it can be improved with a drop of oil but I'd like your advice on a different approach of removing the rotor completely and using the watch as a manual wind.

the watch won't be worn on a daily basis and just like my ARF Daytona will come out the watch box as and when the occasion or mood takes me, so everytime I want to wear I will need to set the time give it a wind anyway so being a manual wind will be no issue for me

so my question what's your advice on this, a reasonable idea or more importantly if this is a bad idea and why

cheers

Rawbe

I'm Pretty Popular
8/4/15
CA, USA
Would just be more wear on the crown/stem but not actually a big deal. No reason it wouldn’t work for your needs to be honest.

I have a HBB with the 7750 in it and man those rotors are monsters, I could scare little children if I wound it next to them. Which reminds me, I need to start wearing that more often or sell it.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I was told the winding gears on the a7750 were very soft and stripped easily from manual winding ....not sure if thats still true or not

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
I was told the winding gears on the a7750 were very soft and stripped easily from manual winding ....not sure if thats still true or not

It is.

I wouldn't even recommend it on a Swiss 7750 let alone an Asian one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
It would be interesting to hear if anyone has actually broken their movement by hand winding it, or whether it's old news that has gone down in folklore and is no longer an issue, the IWC is my third 7750 watch and I've always hand wound them, granted I've taken note of the warnings and always wound much slower and gentler than any other watch. I can't recall ever seeing a post about breaking one by winding

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS

This. I had one strip out on me in the last year with casual winding to get it going. Expensive repair as it needed a full service and parts since metal shards scattered throughout the movement.

melody

26/10/21
North carolina, USA.
Yall. Just remove the auto chunk on top and use it as a manual wind.
the fast spinning sticky gears are not part of the power train to the mainspring they are only as a result of back driving the auto works. So if you remove auto works you remove stripping gears and extra load.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Forget a drop of oil....use a decent blob of silicone grease. I’ve been doing it for the last 10years. No issues.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI