• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

strange 7750 problem - any thoughts before it goes to a watchsmith ?

Heisenberg

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/1/11
I recently purchased a modded APROO serviced by a well known watchmaker. It arrived poorly packed (basically thrown in a box with silicon protector along with some crumpled paper, no bubble wrap). The box appeared intact and was only x-rayed, not opened by customs.

I could not get the watch to start up, even after 50 winds and gentle taps against my palm. Not a good sign... I opened the back and removed the rotor and deco plate to check for any dislodged screw jamming the balance or escape wheel, frozen balance, etc. No loose parts inside and balance rotated freely when turned with a toothpick. I wiggled the clutch spring and subsequently was able to get it running - but only with the chronograph engaged. It will run for at few hours with the chronograph activated. However, when I stop the chronograph, the movement will seize either immediately or within a few minutes. I've had many dozens of A7750 watches and have experienced the opposite problem numerous times, i.e. starting the chronograph will stop the watch, and know what causes that and how to fix it. But this is a new one, where the watch only will run when the chronograph is activated.

Any thoughts on what might cause this ? I'm no watchsmith but have tools and can do basic repairs . So if it is something that doesn't require a major tear down, I can try to fix it myself before sending it out.

Of course the seller is not being helpful, despite over-paying significantly for this watch he says 'he is not Amazon' and basically said to send it back to the watchsmith who serviced it, who is in EU meaning another four trips through customs (in/out USA and EU) and risk of seizure, not to mention a long wait. I already waited almost a month to receive this piece after buying it as the seller took almost a week to ship it, then almost three weeks to get it delivered. I can also send it to a watchsmith here in USA which of course will be quicker and safer, but needless to say he isn't willing to refund me for any incurred repair costs. This is frustrating since this was an expensive purchase. I paid his asking price plus currency conversion and paypal fees, expecting it would be a long term keeper and properly serviced and theoretically trouble free, in addition to modded with Prof cyclops/xtal and Mikey datewheel.

spankster23

I'm Pretty Popular
6/8/13
Texas
Hey man, I can’t remember how much you’re able to do, but I would break Down the movement’s chronograph parts. Its the first layer after removing the auto bridge. Sounds like a chrono clutch arm is stuck engaged. Or one of the springs to engage the chrono clutch arm is misaligned or faulty.

spankster23

I'm Pretty Popular
6/8/13
Texas
Hey man, I can’t remember how much you’re able to do, but I would break Down the movement’s chronograph parts. Its the first layer after removing the auto bridge. Sounds like a chrono clutch arm is stuck engaged. Or one of the springs to engage the chrono clutch arm is misaligned or faulty.