• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

too common problem with A6497

Superman76

I'm Pretty Popular
8/1/15
I've had several 6497s now that have crapped out. They all started out with minor clicking while winding. After a while, they will not take a full wind and at a certain point, you can hear them unwind. I'm guessing it is a mainspring issue. Maybe the factories are not greasing the mainspring?

In any case, just thought I would throw this out there since a lot of people seem to think the asian 6497 is one of the more reliable movements.

Anyone else notice this occurring frequently?

Reactions: D-Day41

fanerai

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
1/10/15
I had this happen with a radiomir but I thought it might have been the lack of crown guard which allowed more crown movement. In other words, I guess I thought I might have pulled the crown out too far which the crown guard would have prevented.

Superman76

I'm Pretty Popular
8/1/15
It's now happened with a noob 111 v3, the zf 127 ... both with crown guards. at first, I thought it was a keyless issue or maybe the click spring. But now I think it's a broken mainspring. It's just bizarre that it's happening frequently. Anybody else having clicking as they wind?

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
There is no winding clutch on these movements.

You guys know that right?

Wind till you feel the slightest resistance and stop.

Superman76

I'm Pretty Popular
8/1/15
The clicking starts happening as soon as you start winding...feels like a slip or like the click spring is not engaging. I just replaced the main spring barrel on the 127 and now it's working. So, I'm sticking with it being a mainspring issue.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
There is no winding clutch on these movements.

You guys know that right?

Wind till you feel the slightest resistance and stop.

They use Braking grease on these movements ?

pimlico

INMATE
2/4/15
Happens all the time, I stopped buying them. It is caused by a loose bridge plate, which causes the gears to slip.

I now only use Unitas ETA 6497s.

Simonbolivar

Renowned Member
17/2/13
Long Island, New York
I have a new Pam 643 KW, and this is happening right out of the box. First time I've ever experienced this with a 6497.

I'll just try to take it easy on winding to make it last. Pisses me off, since I really love the watch.:cryingbadly:

pimlico

INMATE
2/4/15
Just tighten the bridge plate screws ...

Superman76

I'm Pretty Popular
8/1/15
That sucks, man. Here's the thing... In my experience with this issue, it starts off minor - a little clicking here and there. But after some time it gets worse and worse.

I took one of the mainspring barrels apart and took out the spring. The spring wasn't broken, but it's bone-dry.

Anyway... I think maybe you can avoid issues if you have the movement serviced right off the bat and tell your watchmaker you want him to grease the mainspring. The mainspring absolutely needs grease for longevity.

I have a new Pam 643 KW, and this is happening right out of the box. First time I've ever experienced this with a 6497.

I'll just try to take it easy on winding to make it last. Pisses me off, since I really love the watch.:cryingbadly:

Simonbolivar

Renowned Member
17/2/13
Long Island, New York
Thanks for the advice... I may try pimlico's suggestion of tightening the plate in the short term. But I don't have a good track record with fixing stuff on my own. :unsure:

That sucks, man. Here's the thing... In my experience with this issue, it starts off minor - a little clicking here and there. But after some time it gets worse and worse.

I took one of the mainspring barrels apart and took out the spring. The spring wasn't broken, but it's bone-dry.

Anyway... I think maybe you can avoid issues if you have the movement serviced right off the bat and tell your watchmaker you want him to grease the mainspring. The mainspring absolutely needs grease for longevity.

pamlovaboriholly

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/19
anyone ever figure out what the fix for this is? i bought a pam111 noob and im having the same exact issue as if the teeth are not catching. once this dies is it possible to just swap out the entire movement and will that fix it?

D-Day41

Looking Around
15/12/19
I had this problem with a pair of ETA 6497’s. On one I hadn’t put the click spring in correctly so only a part of the springs tension was available when winding . I’d put it in backwards, which sounds stupid but the tech spec sheet required close study to pick up on the error.

On the second the spring was soft and the “hook” was popping off. The hook had a very small catch area, so when the tension got too high it jumped off it. The action of the main-spring rewinding was resetting the spring to its correct position because as the mainspring unwound, the click was pushed the click spring back into place.

Penduboy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/11/19
I just bought a PAM111, how can I avoid this issue. I already noticing clicking sound when winding my watch but so far it is working fine but I am only getting about 20 hrs of power reserve from it.