• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A6497 handwind.. ? or consider partial auto?

collector00

5/8/15
Hi,
understand that A6497 is handwind but when it was completely not moving, i gave it a shake n the internal spin, the 2nd hand moves......
my question is, If i were to place it inside a watch winder, will it continue to wind up?
OR... will it stop after 2 days or so which then requires manual winding?

kindly advise.

thanks!!!

junbug5150

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
24/12/14
Shaking it just moves the balance, which is why it moves. If you have the case opened and if you blow on it, it would do the same. Isn't auto since it's not necessarily winding the watch.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Check the beat error.....

collector00

5/8/15
Shaking it just moves the balance, which is why it moves. If you have the case opened and if you blow on it, it would do the same. Isn't auto since it's not necessarily winding the watch.

hi buddy... mind educating me on the last statement "Isn't auto since it's not necessarily winding the watch."?

so.. it is pointless to put inside the watch winder?

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
beat error? what's that?

Basically its the amount of swing the balance wheel has in one direction compared to the other direction....if its too far off the watch wil not start on its own

junbug5150

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
24/12/14
hi buddy... mind educating me on the last statement "Isn't auto since it's not necessarily winding the watch."?

so.. it is pointless to put inside the watch winder?

It won't "charge" if put on a winder. The second hand moved only because the balance, through that shaking motion, moves. The second hand will stop as soon as the balance stops since it isn't charged (hand wound).

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
[MENTION=93965]junbug5150[/MENTION] :D

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Yeah !
And apparently i misread your question too !

Listen to Junbug, hes correct !

BullishAndrew

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/7/16
North America
As stated, a hand wound watch lacks the rotor mechanism which captures movement and winds the mainspring. With a hand wind, You must hand wind in order to charge mainspring, a watch winder will never accomplish any more than the occasional tick that you witnessed.

Sent from the RWI mobile app