• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

VS3135 movement with date issue

moonspell

Known Member
20/11/09
I noticed a problem with the movement in mine 116610LN from VS Factory.
The date change does not occur at midnight but at 1:20 am.
If I turn the hands within 24 hours, however, the date change occurs exactly at midnight.
I was wondering what could be the cause of this difference in behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blaze20

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
You’ll soon hear from the VSF marketing dept that this is normal and you will be told to enjoy your watch. ????‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moonspell

Known Member
20/11/09
Looking at videos on the 3135 movement on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1yAy9iWXfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1OrJMcNPR0

I do not understand why if the date change is done correctly by turning manually the hands, when the crown shaft is re-engaged the movement presents this shift. The wheels should engage correctly but they do not. I certainly didn't understand a few things about how the 3135 works, and I apologize for that. I'm here to learn. I would like a more technical explanation to the question. I am studying, I have a reference manual to improve my understanding on watchmaking. That's why I'm also looking for an exploded view map of the movement to get a better look at the movement parts.

bc1221

30/4/14
Looking at videos on the 3135 movement on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1yAy9iWXfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1OrJMcNPR0

I do not understand why if the date change is done correctly by turning manually the hands, when the crown shaft is re-engaged the movement presents this shift. The wheels should engage correctly but they do not. I certainly didn't understand a few things about how the 3135 works, and I apologize for that. I'm here to learn. I would like a more technical explanation to the question. I am studying, I have a reference manual to improve my understanding on watchmaking. That's why I'm also looking for an exploded view map of the movement to get a better look at the movement parts.

Sometimes they rush it and set the hands wrong. It’s not that hard to reset it back to midnight but it’s not an easy process either. It would require some tools. Mainly a hand setter and hand removal tool (id recommend just getting the levers).

You have to kind of guess sometimes. Especially on a SH3135 due to the amount of wiggle room in the hands.

Basically. You have to remove the movement and, then the hands. With the hands off, you turn the crown until it’s almost midnight. Then you kind of have to guess where it will land. Once it snaps in to position, stop turning the crown and set the hands at midnight. Sometimes you have to turn the hands a little bit more.

The better way to do it imo is to take the dial off. Turn the crown until the quick set mechanism is very close to hitting the “snap” (the round thing that turns with the crown). You can see the little pinion that sticks out. Wait until it is almost about to flip the date. Put the dial back and turn the crown just a tiny bit and it should snap in to the next date. Then put the hands on at midnight.

There is some guess work but if it’s close to midnight , I’m usually fine with it as long as it’s not an hour difference.

This happens on some gens too.

Reactions: Rel

moonspell

Known Member
20/11/09
Sometimes they rush it and set the hands wrong. It’s not that hard to reset it back to midnight but it’s not an easy process either. It would require some tools. Mainly a hand setter and hand removal tool (id recommend just getting the levers).

You have to kind of guess sometimes. Especially on a SH3135 due to the amount of wiggle room in the hands.

Basically. You have to remove the movement and, then the hands. With the hands off, you turn the crown until it’s almost midnight. Then you kind of have to guess where it will land. Once it snaps in to position, stop turning the crown and set the hands at midnight. Sometimes you have to turn the hands a little bit more.

The better way to do it imo is to take the dial off. Turn the crown until the quick set mechanism is very close to hitting the “snap” (the round thing that turns with the crown). You can see the little pinion that sticks out. Wait until it is almost about to flip the date. Put the dial back and turn the crown just a tiny bit and it should snap in to the next date. Then put the hands on at midnight.

There is some guess work but if it’s close to midnight , I’m usually fine with it as long as it’s not an hour difference.

Thanks!

Complete

Renowned Member
18/10/17

What I do is let it snap to midnight, then lightly place the hour hand on so I have a visual.

Run it around again, let it snap at midnight. Set the hour hand. Then lightly place the hour hand, again so I have a visual...

Run it around again, let it snap and adjust the minute hand, adjust and set it firmer...

Run it around again for a final check... if its good which 95% of the time it is... i set it and then set the seconds hand.

You can set the seconds hard anywhere, doesn’t matter.

moonspell

Known Member
20/11/09
What I do is let it snap to midnight, then lightly place the hour hand on so I have a visual.

Run it around again, let it snap at midnight. Set the hour hand. Then lightly place the hour hand, again so I have a visual...

Run it around again, let it snap and adjust the minute hand, adjust and set it firmer...

Run it around again for a final check... if its good which 95% of the time it is... i set it and then set the seconds hand.

Thanks!

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

Complete

Renowned Member
18/10/17
If you get it within +/- 5 mins from midnight thats generally good enough.

Don’t risk scratching the dial or messing the hands up if you get it within that tolerance.

Complete

Renowned Member
18/10/17
If you get it within +/- 5 mins from midnight thats generally good enough.

Don’t risk scratching the dial or messing the hands up if you get it within that tolerance.

Reactions: d4v3

Complete

Renowned Member
18/10/17

Reactions: moonspell

bc1221

30/4/14

Yea. That’s typically what I do but I wouldn’t recommend it for a gloss dial because those can get a smudge or a scratch that won’t come off. If you breathe on those dials, you’ll leave a mark. lol

That or I just let it snap and forward the crown just a little more (it tends to need a little more on the SH). Set the hour hand and just turn that until it snaps and gauge it from there. Hour hands come off fairly easy and those are the easiest ones to set. Then I put the min hand on. Let the watch run and put the second hand on so when it sits on the pinion you can see the second hand move slightly and push it down to set it in place. You do that wrong and you’ll need a complete new movement if they pinion breaks.

The VR3135s are much better. Pinion is better. The hands do not have too much play. Idk. I’m ok with the date flipping at 11:45 or 12:15 but that’s about as much as I would to in deviation.

You do get lucky sometimes and it snaps in right at midnight. I’ve had that happen accidentally before. Haha

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
My date sometimes gets stuck half way through the change. Started after about one week of wearing.