• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rebuilding SH3135 with genuine parts

OmegaRox

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/1/17
Hello everyone!

I have recently purchased a new SH 3135 and I’m starting to buy genuine parts to build this puppy up for my Sub 116610 LN. A really good thread that helped me was( https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/the-3135-3131/6601960-sh3135-essential-upgrades ) but I have additional concerns and I’m trying to get part numbers for additional parts. The parts I’m looking to swap also are the parts responsible for the manual winding of this movement, it feels very cheap and garbage at the moment. So far I have the following part list on the search or already purchased. Another question I have, is it bad to buy used parts? Or should I only stick to brand new parts? Thank you all for the help and for those who provided priceless information on the post mentioned above. Cheers.

3135-614 Date Jumper
3135-645 Date Corrector
3135-204 Winding Pinon
3135-625 Date Wheel Mounted
3135-623 Finger for Date
3135-145 Complete Auto mechanism (includes two reversing wheels)
3135-130 Winding bridge
3135-600 Date Indicator Seating
3135-670 Intermediate Date Wheel
3135-205 Sliding Pinion Wheel / Clutch Wheel
3135-280 Hour Wheel

occb2, ado213, 2fake4u, misiekped

ado213

Renowned Member
27/4/12
UK
Here are my thoughts on the SH 3135 and the fitting of gen parts. I'm sure our other esteemed watchsmith's have their own views on this and their thoughts are always gratefully appreciated.

Your list of replacement parts is comprehensive, but the majority of parts don't deal with the underlying issues in this movement.

Yes the autowind bridge is an upgrade as the autoreversers in the SH are poor and have been from day one. Whether its actually worth changing the complete bridge is questionable

Winding pinion and sliding pinions are also a good upgrades as the steel quality of the rep parts again is not the best, it tend to be softer and not hardened as the gen. But to be fair Cousins UK do sell non OEM parts for these at half the cost, which are quite good.

I notice that the majority of the other parts you are changing are on the dial side of the watch ie calender mechanism. As far as I am aware there are no major defects in the calender parts of the rep,

Ok all that said, down to original statement on the underlying issues with the SH 3135 Mechanism, I'll just type a list and let you pick the bones out of it

1) escapement is very poor, pallets set incorrectly, hairspring poorly formed, balance jewel holes not round or too big for the staff ( not always)
2) Due to poor jewelling the balance wheel runs out of true on some, unequally burnished balance staff tips, causing DU and DD anomalies'
3) unhardened fourth wheel, existing bends very easily due to its softness
4) incorrectly set barrel jewels, barrel rubs on mainplate ( not always)
5) incorrectly set pallet jewels
6) out of round gears
7) poor gear cutting on 3rd and 4th wheel especially
8) Regulators on balance bridge do not turn concentrically to the cap jewel making it a bit of an art form to time in.
9) Machining burrs left in all sorts of places on the mainplate and the balance wheel itself, how they actually poise this is beyond my skills. any of these breaking off during wearing will upset any regulation your watchsmith has performed.

I'm sure I've missed a few off, but these are the main ones. Whilst they seem petty anyone of these can cause you major issues with time keeping.

So to cap off, the SH is obviously a replica movement and not genuine, any amount of gen parts, whilst improving the mechanism will not improve the time keeping of the watch. There are good Sh's and poor SH's. Some have none of the above faults, some have all !!

One thing to compare and ask a question about is the pallet bridge, rep v gen. On the rep there are adjustable banking shoulders on the gen none, why??
Well that's and easy answer, the adjustable banking shoulders allow for adjustment of the pallet entry and exit. On a gen these simply aren't needed as the manufacturing tolerances are so tight

Most low grade movements ( apart from older watches) have adjustable banking pins. Older watches had them as again manufacturing tolerances back in the day were a lot lower than present.

Hope this helps

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
Here are my thoughts on the SH 3135 and the fitting of gen parts. I'm sure our other esteemed watchsmith's have their own views on this and their thoughts are always gratefully appreciated.

Your list of replacement parts is comprehensive, but the majority of parts don't deal with the underlying issues in this movement.

Yes the autowind bridge is an upgrade as the autoreversers in the SH are poor and have been from day one. Whether its actually worth changing the complete bridge is questionable

Winding pinion and sliding pinions are also a good upgrades as the steel quality of the rep parts again is not the best, it tend to be softer and not hardened as the gen. But to be fair Cousins UK do sell non OEM parts for these at half the cost, which are quite good.

I notice that the majority of the other parts you are changing are on the dial side of the watch ie calender mechanism. As far as I am aware there are no major defects in the calender parts of the rep,

Ok all that said, down to original statement on the underlying issues with the SH 3135 Mechanism, I'll just type a list and let you pick the bones out of it

1) escapement is very poor, pallets set incorrectly, hairspring poorly formed, balance jewel holes not round or too big for the staff ( not always)
2) Due to poor jewelling the balance wheel runs out of true on some, unequally burnished balance staff tips, causing DU and DD anomalies'
6) out of round gears
8) Regulators on balance bridge do not turn concentrically to the cap jewel making it a bit of an art form to time in.
9) Machining burrs left in all sorts of places on the mainplate and the balance wheel itself, how they actually poise this is beyond my skills. any of these breaking off during wearing will upset any regulation your watchsmith has performed.

I'm sure I've missed a few off, but these are the main ones. Whilst they seem petty anyone of these can cause you major issues with time keeping.

So to cap off, the SH is obviously a replica movement and not genuine, any amount of gen parts, whilst improving the mechanism will not improve the time keeping of the watch. There are good Sh's and poor SH's. Some have none of the above faults, some have all !!

One thing to compare and ask a question about is the pallet bridge, rep v gen. On the rep there are adjustable banking shoulders on the gen none, why??
Well that's and easy answer, the adjustable banking shoulders allow for adjustment of the pallet entry and exit. On a gen these simply aren't needed as the manufacturing tolerances are so tight

Most low grade movements ( apart from older watches) have adjustable banking pins. Older watches had them as again manufacturing tolerances back in the day were a lot lower than present.

Hope this helps

:( just bought a mvt to tinker with....me not happy....;)

OmegaRox

13/1/17

6) out of round gears

Hope this helps

Thank you for this detailed response. I guess the best way to find out what really is needed is by sending it to someone knowledgeable who can look at it and check what really needs to be changed and worked on. I’m really new to this game and this is my 1st rep project. In other words, I only know what I read and search.

OmegaRox

13/1/17
Can anyone tell which version of the SH3135 this is? Does it make any difference?

VogUAF.jpg

Vogvbq.jpg
VogQM0.jpg

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
I rarely recommend putting gen parts in them. As Ado said, some are fine and some aren't. They are cheap enough, and again, as Ado pointed out, most these gen parts don't really help much in terms of reliability. It's the gears and balance that have the most issues.

A good way to go about these, or any clone movement, is if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Reactions: OmegaRox

2fake4u

20/9/16
As for used vs new parts, most the time, the used parts are left over from a service. So they replaced worn out parts with the new and then sell the worn out pieces

OmegaRox

13/1/17
I rarely recommend putting gen parts in them. As Ado said, some are fine and some aren't. They are cheap enough, and again, as Ado pointed out, most these gen parts don't really help much in terms of reliability. It's the gears and balance that have the most issues.

A good way to go about these, or any clone movement, is if it's not broken, don't fix it.

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it.

Onoratoa54

Certified
29/1/19
I can install gen Balance on sh3135?

Inviato dal mio SM-J600FN utilizzando Tapatalk

OmegaRox

13/1/17
How can someone locate a complete Gen Movement for a swap. Really failing to find one.

stufuse

22/10/17
UK
How can someone locate a complete Gen Movement for a swap. Really failing to find one.

Was one for sale here, and have Been a couple Over on rep geek. Just keep an eye out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk