• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3135 Movement Comparison (Gen/SA/SH/VR)

Tickleshoes

Renowned Member
Supporter
19/8/15
45th Parallel
Tickleshoes what would then be in your opinion the best mix of the 3 worlds in order to have reliability and keep the cost reasonable?
I've also seen red1 experimenting with a GEN balance spring on occb2 thread (Does the gen balance bridge fit the VR? I remember the SH was a mismatch.)

My understanding so far is:
VR base
SH mainspring, ratchet wheel, back plate (or jeweling the VR)
GEN clickspring, palet fork, datewheel

I know my wording is - ehm - untechnical, but is there any other lineup that y'all watch engineers would suggest for a strong hybrid that would not be (very) jealous of the GEN counterpart?

Thanks a lot and I hope I'm not asking too stupid of questions. ;)

You’re pretty close. Some more details now that I’ve built one:

SH Parts:
Mainplate (need to move the VR balance jewels over)
Autowind bottom plate
Pallet fork and bridge
Aux winding wheel
Ratchet wheel
Mainspring and/or barrel

There might have been a few smaller pieces to make everything work. It was quite a build. A lot of adjusting jewels to get the end shakes within tolerance but fun to build.

Reactions: museguy

Kingsman

Renowned Member
24/11/15
Savile Row
You’re pretty close. Some more details now that I’ve built one:

SH Parts:
Mainplate (need to move the VR balance jewels over)
Autowind bottom plate
Pallet fork and bridge
Aux winding wheel
Ratchet wheel
Mainspring and/or barrel

There might have been a few smaller pieces to make everything work. It was quite a build. A lot of adjusting jewels to get the end shakes within tolerance but fun to build.

Wow, does sound like quite the work! Shame I can't nail a nail on the wall without chipping the paint around it. :D

I think this build will be an interesting writeup for the tech section if you ever have some time to spare, thanks for lighting the light on the new developments.

georgiworld2

8/7/13
So my watchmaker showed me this, which he said came from Italy
He said it is 600$

Opinions please

25f4c4076af2ced66a6a214495d45c8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mega12

I'm Pretty Popular
17/10/17
Although it’s a very bad pic to ask questions I would say it’s a SA3135, which I recently purchased for 65€. So 600€ seems a bit too much

Time doesn’t exist, clocks exist.

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
So my watchmaker showed me this, which he said came from Italy
He said it is 600$

Opinions please

25f4c4076af2ced66a6a214495d45c8c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what is supposed to be? if he said is a clone movement, than say "thanks no".
and if he said is a gen movement, than say "WTF, are you kidding me???"

tony5haw2013

10/8/19
malta
Thanks for the great thread, very interesting and superb detail, does anyone know which rep 3135 the guy in the video was comparing too? Also, can the VR go into a JF16610 or is it just for the ceramic model
You can use the 3135 if you already have a 3135 watch, if you currently have the 2824 or 2836 its a no go without a big headache apparently

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jackster

Kingsman

Renowned Member
24/11/15
Savile Row
georgiworld2 your watchmaker is trying to rip you off. I'd suggest you find another watchmaker because if he's selling this for 600, he won't hesitate for other things down the line...

heska

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/11/17
Hello everybody,

I have some problem with my SH pallet fork, so i ordered a VR as i can't find a spare SH fork.

My first question is: would a gen or aftermarket pallet fork would work in a SH? I think i also need the two cap jewel ( rolex code for gen parts 95019-2 and 95019-3), so same question as SH spare parts are hard to get.

Second question:
What would be the best of both world?
I also have a few gen parts so my plan was:

Gen autowind/ date seating/ barrel bridge/ winding bridge. I also have a trainwheel bridge but it doesn't fit SH. Would it fit a VR?
SH ratchet wheel/ Date spring
VR for the rest.

What do you think?

Reactions: Dissemination

adi…italy

10/8/18
Italy
hi guys, but can a speaker that has mounted a SA3135 accept a SH or VR version?
should the dial and hands also be compatible?
thank you very much

neils

Horology Curious
22/10/12
I have a failed 3135 here again, it's not the first and I've seen this same issue a number of times now. The Ratchet Driving Wheel part 510 has teeth worn down. Now is this because the crappy red "Reversing Wheels part 540" have failed or is it because the lower plate on the auto bridge as no jewel?

I note on this movement the "Hair Spring Stud" and "Regulator" are around the opposite way to that on the SA, SH & VR shown at the beginning of this thread, which is strange. So what movement is this please? I though it was SA3135 judging by the crappy red reversing wheels. It has stamped on it 3132 and came out of a GMF Explorer 39mm and is supposedly according to Joshua's website an SH3132 (model: RLEX00976S).

Tickleshoes

Renowned Member
Supporter
19/8/15
45th Parallel
It's definitely an SA but may be an evolved version given the differences you noted. I'd chalk up the worn teeth to cheap materials that wear out. The bottom of the autowind don't really need a jewel because there is one on the barrel bridge that holds the driving wheel. It could also be that these reps use stronger mainsprings to compensate for the increased friction from low tolerance manufacturing and that requires more force to auto-wind? Who knows for sure :)

neils

Horology Curious
22/10/12
Thanks Tickleshoes. If only we could get the spare parts for these failing SA3135. I guess this is approx 2 years old now. Was it just an early batch I wonder that suffered? Are the later more current SA any better?

Are you seeing this same issue on the SH or VR versions?

PS. Great work with starting this thread, very informative. :thanks:

Kind regards
N

Last edited:

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Thanks Tickleshoes. If only we could get the spare parts for these failing SA3135. I guess this is approx 2 years old now. Was it just an early batch I wonder that suffered? Are the later more current SA any better?

Are you seeing this same issue on the SH or VR versions?

PS. Great work with starting this thread, very informative. :thanks:

Kind regards
N

But your bridge says 3132 lol. not 3135

neils

Horology Curious
22/10/12
But your bridge says 3132 lol. not 3135

Yes I know but it's the same base movement. It's because this movement came out of an Explorer which doesn't have a date. I'm a watchmaker by trade ;-)

Stuvetjee

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Yes I know but it's the same base movement. It's because this movement came out of an Explorer which doesn't have a date. I'm a watchmaker by trade ;-)

yeah i already knew that lol, just mentioning :p . So you have her working again?

neils

Horology Curious
22/10/12
yeah i already knew that lol, just mentioning :p . So you have her working again?

Unfortunately not, no spare parts :-( It's actually my 19 year old son's watch too, so he's borrowing another rep of mine at present. Hoping to get some parts or a couple of spare movements to use as spares from Joshua, I've used him for over 15 years now!

Stuvetjee

Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
Unfortunately not, no spare parts :-( It's actually my 19 year old son's watch too, so he's borrowing another rep of mine at present. Hoping to get some parts or a couple of spare movements to use as spares from Joshua, I've used him for over 15 years now!

You should swap it for the SH3132 mate if you have the chance of buying one.