• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3135 Gen vs. Rep

knnyhckr

You're Saying I Can Sell?
1/11/10
Hello,

Well I have read countless threats on the reliability of the Asian copy 3135. I haven't found a pictorial comparison, I would love to see what are the differences, and how well the original 3135 has been replicated. I tried the search feature, but I haven't found anything. I hope someone can point me in the right direction or get inspired to make a pictorial comparison!

Cheers,

Ken

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
Good question, and I too would like to know. however, unfortunately I do not know.

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
I thought it was a clone (sort of) in appearance only. A modded bridge or something and some other features to make it look more like a 3135. I'll stick to the ETA's since showing off my watches movement isn't convenient.

knnyhckr

1/11/10
I thought it was a clone (sort of) in appearance only. A modded bridge or something and some other features to make it look more like a 3135. I'll stick to the ETA's since showing off my watches movement isn't convenient.

:lol: yea, no question that ETA is the way to go that is a :beatahorse: around here....

knnyhckr

1/11/10
No guys, don't want you to misunderstand me... I'm just curious because I'd like to learn more about it.. No interest in purchasing this movement.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
The "Asian 3135" is an Asian 2836-2 that has been decorated to look like a Rolex movement. It is purely cosmetic and functionally worse than an Asian 2836, because the mods have made it less reliable. The screw holding the rotor in place is notoriously weak, for example.

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
at first glance it is a decent cosmetic replication but is instantly id'd as fake because the real 3135 movement has a balance wheel with microstella screws on it for regulation; basically little adjustable weights around the entire balance wheel and the ETA movement clearly lacks this.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
at first glance it is a decent cosmetic replication but is instantly id'd as fake because the real 3135 movement has a balance wheel with microstella screws on it for regulation; basically little adjustable weights around the entire balance wheel and the ETA movement clearly lacks this.
So what do you do when that wheel is spinning too fast for you to check? (Easy answer: Hack the movement.) :)

That said, checking for Micro-Stella screws is something you would do if you wanted to, say, tell between a Valjoux 72 and a Rolex 727. In other words, differentiate two mechanically similar movements.

I don't think there's any need to go down to that level of detail on an Asian 3135, because there is very little relation between it and the real dela. Once you get past the rotor, the shape of the balance bridge, and the red wheels, you should see that there's very little resemblance in the layout of the gears and jewels.

Another easy tell: The Asian 3135 is the one with the loose screw rattling around inside! :)

MoD2Franken

Renowned Member
Certified
27/1/11
Germany
The "Asian 3135" is an Asian 2836-2 that has been decorated to look like a Rolex movement. It is purely cosmetic and functionally worse than an Asian 2836, because the mods have made it less reliable. The screw holding the rotor in place is notoriously weak, for example.

@LH00Q: Hey mate, could you please tell me if the rep3135 cal. is 1:1 to fit gen case and is the dial-feet position exact for gen dials or were just the eta dials assembled (otherwise the rep factory must produce dials for DG2813 /ETA and now Rep3135 for each rep model ...)

OK at the moment is the quality not good enough - as you have mentioned, but obviously it will be improved...

i guess the position of stem (gen-cases for 3135) need a 2824 for a franken-build (f.e. 16200) in comparision to the 16000 which need a 2836...

So it´s not clear for me, but if the rep-3135 is an decorated 2836, then it can not fit. And i have answered my own abovementioned question...

Btw: Exists options for interchangeability (gen 2836 or gen 3135) at the rep 3135?
Or maybe a mix?

Sorry for my bad english and many thanks in advance for your advice!

Cheers,

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
@LH00Q: Hey mate, could you please tell me if the rep3135 cal. is 1:1 to fit gen case and is the dial-feet position exact for gen dials or were just the eta dials assembled (otherwise the rep factory must produce dials for DG2813 /ETA and now Rep3135 for each rep model ...)
The rep 3135 will not fit a gen case, and will not take a gen dial. I don't know where the dial feet on a rep 3135 are located.

OK at the moment is the quality not good enough - as you have mentioned, but obviously it will be improved...
Maybe. It's not so obvious to me that the rep factories are motivated to improve this movement.

Btw: Exists options for interchangeability (gen 2836 or gen 3135) at the rep 3135?
Or maybe a mix?
I've never mixed parts between movements, as I prefer reliability over a visual replication of the gen. It might be a good experiment to see which parts of the rep 3135 will fit on a 2836 (gen or rep), but I would be very surprised if any gen 3135 parts will fit on the rep 3135 or 2836.

MoD2Franken

Renowned Member
Certified
27/1/11
Germany
The rep 3135 will not fit a gen case, and will not take a gen dial.

I've never mixed parts between movements, as I prefer reliability over a visual replication of the gen. It might be a good experiment to see which parts of the rep 3135 will fit on a 2836 (gen or rep), but I would be very surprised if any gen 3135 parts will fit on the rep 3135 or 2836.

Thanks for your fast response!

With reference to the fact, that rep3135 won´t fit gen case and won´t take gen dial - i have no need for further experiment´s.

Because we see eye to eye that reliability comes first, and without benefits like to chance gen dial without snipp-off dial feet (which make them worthless for a possible sale later) i see no reason to do mods with a rep3135.

Cheers,

Omega88

I'm Pretty Popular
19/3/11
Is is possible to clOne 3135 move? Since they are able to clone 2836, I don't see why they can't clone 3135...

appled

Known Member
26/8/10
Is is possible to clOne 3135 move? Since they are able to clone 2836, I don't see why they can't clone 3135...

They could - they don't....
probably as the 2836 can be put in a large number of reps, the 3135 only belongs in a rolex so not worth the effort

:lol: yea, no question that ETA is the way to go that is a :beatahorse: around here....
try searching a bit more, you might find that you are better ordering an asian clone than a 'gen' ETA.....

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Unless trying to con somebody into paying you thousands of dollars for a rep watch, I really don't see why anyone would go to great lengths and expense to clone the movement on a closed-back watch.

sneed12?

I'm Pretty Popular
13/2/11
Do you have any understanding of how much money and effort it would take to "clone" a Rolex movement? A factory and tools would have to be built, and the movement would have to be reverse-engineered.

The reason why the clone ETA 2836 movements are so prevalent in our hobby is because they were originally built under license; the machine tools were paid for buy building a factory that produced movements that went into legitimate (ie, taxable) watches and they didn't have to be designed by guesswork from reverse-engineering complete movements.

Why would anyone bother to "clone" a Rolex movement when reps sell just fine with the movements they already come with?