• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Servicing a Yuki 3135 (How & Why)

xathor

Horology Curious
15/12/15
You you re-upload the picture with the adjustment detail? Thanks.

xathor

Horology Curious
15/12/15
Yep. Kind of funny to go through them again. I've come a long way since those early days of servicing :)
Sorry, I must have had a stroke when I made that post.

I meant could you re upload that picture showing where to adjust? It's missing.

I have a Yuki 3132 that is running noticably fast.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using RWI mobile app

Tickleshoes

Renowned Member
Supporter
19/8/15
45th Parallel
Ah, gotcha. Here it is:

IMG_1368_zpsk7rebvjt.jpg

The red regulator adjust the rate and the blue adjusts the beat error. Moving the red regulator towards the blue with SLOW the rate, pushing it away from the blue regulator will SPEED UP the rate.

Also, if you're getting a really fast rate the movement might be magnetized. And one last PROTIP - if you look at where the hairspring goes through the regulator arm, you'll see it's a small opening. The spring should move freely back and forth between the sides of that opening. If it's touching one side or the other, your amplitude may suffer (amongst other issues). Good luck.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
If it's touching one side or the other, your amplitude may suffer (amongst other issues)

so it shouldnt EVER touch ?

or is it Ok to touch and the end of its swing , and how is that adjusted ?

Tickleshoes

Renowned Member
Supporter
19/8/15
45th Parallel
it's fine if it touches both sides at the end of it's motion, but it shouldn't stick to one or the other OR rub on the bottom of that plate (the boot it's called). The easiest way I've seen is to gently "stroke" the hairspring between the two regulator arms. Depending if you push in or out it will change the spring enough to add the you're missing.

This video shows the full blown process of adjusting a hairspring - if you change the rate and it changes the beat error you've got an out of form hairspring :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EYk787sjAM

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
it's fine if it touches both sides at the end of it's motion, but it shouldn't stick to one or the other OR rub on the bottom of that plate (the boot it's called). The easiest way I've seen is to gently "stroke" the hairspring between the two regulator arms. Depending if you push in or out it will change the spring enough to add the you're missing.

This video shows the full blown process of adjusting a hairspring - if you change the rate and it changes the beat error you've got an out of form hairspring :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EYk787sjAM

OK thats over my scope , i though it was as simple as adjusting the regulator pins .....and thats why we have guys like you here !

xathor

Horology Curious
15/12/15
Tickleshoes, you're the man. According to the app on my phone I got it to +3 sec a day face up. Much better than the first couple readings of +1 min 38 seconds. I've demagnetized it a few times and checked with some film I have, no magnetism... just way out of adjustment!

Telladophilly1

Horology Curious
2/12/16
Hey everyone. I figured since I’ve posted a few serviced Yukis for sale, some people might be interested to see what goes into a service and why Yuki suggests one. Sure, there are plenty of pictorials and videos of a gen 3135 being serviced – this isn’t so much a tutorial, but rather a walkthrough of what I do and why it's a good idea to get a service.

So here we go with the latest:

uilKixN.jpg

Performance as it shipped. You can see the amplitude (the amount the balance swings, measured in degrees) is pretty low, there is a slight beat error (it swings to one side slightly more than the other) and it’s unacceptably fast.

lqKM8E9.jpg

Now – you could certainly get one, throw it in a watch, regulate it and be on your way. I’m sure that most of them would perform just as well as any Asian clone you’d get from the rep factories – for years even. But as I said early, Yuki recommend the Y3135 be serviced because the factories are dirty. You might think “oh, they’re overblowing it” to cover themselves. What follows are some photos showing why they’re not kidding. (PS – This isn’t meant to “shame” them or call them out for inferior QC/craftsmanship. I LOVE this movement and they’ve worked with me to resolve any show-stopping issues I’ve uncovered. But some do come pretty dirty, so I wanted to show exactly what that looks like) <3 you Yukiwatch ;)

XJerzlH.jpg

WSDP2tI.jpg

Uh-oh… those look like water spots on the barrel…
7lsTPi4.jpg

Aaaand, surface rust under the barrel
j0uFgKe.jpg

8xAjnkV.jpg

Those are some grimy keyless works!
iM7WM9T.jpg

IMG_1335.jpg%3FRAW%3D1

Now on to the cleaning. Everything gets stripped down including the spring from the barrel. Even the cap jewel for the balance comes off!
SQRWSD2.jpg

And here it is! Everything in a Yuki 3135. All the parts on the left go through the cleaning machine. The parts on the right are put through separately as they’re either too fragile (hairspring/balance, pallet fork, jewels) or not at all (painted wheels, springs, etc.)
ynC7gHb.jpg

Now everything gets packed nice and neatly into the cleaning baskets
BM4a7iT.jpg

aTLdbYA.jpg

I’d started out using an ultrasonic, but it just didn’t clean like my L&R Mastermatic and you still had to dry the parts somehow. This one machine does everything! The little basket hooks in, you swing it around, drop in cleaning jar and let it run for a few minutes. It automatically reverses direction every few seconds creating a nice agitation. Then you lift it out, spin off the excess liquid and drop it into rinse #1. There should be a 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] jar for rinse #2 but it broke during delivery and I haven’t gotten a replacement yet. No matter – I haven’t put enough movements through to need a second rinse yet anyway. After that you drop it in that tube on the left where a heater sits and spin it in there for a while drying the parts with hot air. It’s fantastic.

pByK8M7.jpg

Nice clean parts:

ZCRtTwM.jpg

$100 worth of tools JUST to put the barrel back together ;)
OizIl3Z.jpg

And now some pictures of the movement going back together clean. I tried to get similar shots so you could see the difference. No more rust on the main plate:
1FScJTx.jpg

5wf8OGV.jpg

1VAjuMz.jpg

xElMIGk.jpg

KQK21b7.jpg

Now that is some clean stuff!
DtwRHHc.jpg

Once cleaned it really shines!
SxDdkNU.jpg

All done!
fpunBMi.jpg

Now comes the hard part - This is where a lot of time can be spent because the main difference between the Yuki and a real Calibre 3135 is the balance setup. A Rolex uses an unsprung balance setup meaning the length of the spring is fixed and the rate is adjusted using screws on the balance wheel itself. The Yuki uses a regulated setup meaning there is a lever to adjust the length of the spring and one to adjust the rate. ETA movement have nice tools to regulate/adjust the movement. The Yuki? Not so much...

Here is the movement put back together after cleaning: Much better amplitude but the beat error is still there and the rate is off:
2LkmyUZ.jpg

Here are the pins that need to be adjusted. The red arrow shows the rate adjustment lever and the blue arrow shows how to adjust for beat error. The issue is that there are no special tools for this setup so I just use carbon fiber tweezers and do it by hand. If you can see it move, you've moved it WAY too much. If you can feel it move you've still moved it too much :)
209uWZS.jpg

That's about it! Once I get the timing dialed in, it's ready to be installed! As I said, the adjustment is tricky and very sensitive. It's likely that once installed it would need a bit of regulation again. Even movements from watch supply stores that I've bought have needed tweaking once in a case. Even so, the Yuki provides the most gen Rolex look and feel from a movement perspective. Hope this helps demonstrate why it's a good idea to have it serviced!

I am new here, but I love the fact that you take your time expertise to explain everything.. thanks

Sent from the RWI App

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Thanks for taking the time to put this together ! I'd love to see your workbench!

exlgh91

I'm Pretty Popular
23/8/13
Jesus... you are amazing, freaking asset to this forum!!!
Whenever I need my watches serviced next time, hopefully you'd be available.

Jackster

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
8/1/17
Paradise! (SE Qld)
Hi all, i've just pulled the trigger on an ARF Sub with a SH3135 inside. Is it wise to get this serviced asap? I'm in Queensland Australia, anybody know of someone that can work on it? Preferably in Oz.