• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rotor is loose

baschi

Horology Curious
10/6/13
Hey guys,
I received an IWC Portofino with an loose rotor. When it where working it made scratchy noises I think the rotor wheren't thigtened enough and had space to move against the metal case.
I opened the case, as shown in the picture http://prntscr.com/j6lh7p
the ring is loose as well as the rotor itself. I think it only needs to tightened again. Can somebody tell me how I can do it without special tools? If it's isn't possible without are these tools which each watchmaker has? Or do I ask for a special one?

__
Also I own 2 other Breitling all of the make scratchy noises while moving them to wind them up. Any ideas how to solve that? I'm thinking about adding an small layer of silicone ontop of the backcase of the watch.

BR baschi

Last edited:

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
That's not a pic of your watch ?

Rotors make a noise, if the screw in the centre of the rotor is loose, tighten it up using a screw driver.

unreformed66

Known Member
Supporter
7/11/15
United States, Ohio
If it's a 2892 like in the picture it doesn't have a screw in the center. It has that retaining ring that you can see in the picture you posted. There are notches on the rotor that tabs on the retaining ring go into and then the retaining ring is rotated until the tabs are NOT in the notches. This holds the rotor on the bearing shaft. There is special tool for installing these retaining rings that makes it much easier to do since you create spring tension when you get the tabs into the slots and then turn it but it's possible to do it without the tool. Just a lot more difficult. I have the tool....;).

baschi

Horology Curious
10/6/13
And again. New watch new supplier, expensive rolex rep. The rotor fell off? Doesnt this.. Happen to all of you guys? I mean it literally happened to all my watches, only the ones I brought to service didnt have that issue anymore. Please share your wisdom. Reps are not worth it if I buy them and everything falls apart.
​​​