• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A2824 Micro Adjustment Questions

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere. I haven't been able to find anything by searching...

I have a one-month old watch with the A2824 movement. It's running about 5 seconds fast per day, so me, being fussy, wants to dial it back a bit. When I try to turn the eccentric screw in either direction, it won't move (it's currently dead centre), and if I apply any downward pressure at all on the screw, the hair spring stops moving. Once I give it a gentle nudge it gets going again and everything is fine.

Two questions:
- Is the screw meant to be difficult to turn?
- Is it a concern that the hair spring stops in this situation?

tsyeo4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/14
I am not sure if you are doing it right. You are are suppose to use the timegrapher to make adjustments on the balance spring. Any other methods are just blind stabbing into the balance which could damage the whole balance spring.

I will make it plain easy to understand rather than to explain all the watchmaker terms as much as I can.

That being said you need to follow a few rules when doing balance spring adjustments. First your need to get the jewel aligned to the pallet fork so the tick and tock is even in both angles. Then you need to adjust the length of the balance which will affect how flat the timegrapher line will be.

You really need to do this with a timegrapher otherwise you may risk damaging the balance spring.

riderocket

18/9/18
I have a one-month old watch with the A2824 movement. It's running about 5 seconds fast per day, so me, being fussy, wants to dial it back a bit. When I try to turn the eccentric screw in either direction, it won't move (it's currently dead centre), and if I apply any downward pressure at all on the screw, the hair spring stops moving. Once I give it a gentle nudge it gets going again and everything is fine.

It isn't supposed to be that hard to turn. With the proper size screwdriver you should've been able to do it with minimal effort. Sounds like the eccentric screw is stuck on your movement.

Regarding the timegrapher. It makes the job easier, but there is really no need for a one for small adjustment to the rate. Beat error is different story, but for rate, you can adjust a tiny amount then observe for a few days, repeat if necessary.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
You really need to do this with a timegrapher otherwise you may risk damaging the balance spring.

Thanks for the info.

The amplitude is on 290 and beat error is 0.1. At least, that's what it was before the TD posted the watch to me. As the watch is only +5 secs with the micro adjustment screw dead centre, I wouldn't have thought there is any need for a timegrapher. An adjustment of one notch on that screw should increase/decrease by +/- 5 seconds depending which way you turn.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
It isn't supposed to be that hard to turn. With the proper size screwdriver you should've been able to do it with minimal effort. Sounds like the eccentric screw is stuck on your movement.

Regarding the timegrapher. It makes the job easier, but there is really no need for a one for small adjustment to the rate. Beat error is different story, but for rate, you can adjust a tiny amount then observe for a few days, repeat if necessary.

Thanks.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
The regulator arm is also inaccessible. You can't see it in this image, but it's right up under the framework. Is it normal for it to be covered like this? Makes it tricky for a new like me, considering the micro-adjustment screw won't budge.

NsgJ1.jpg

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
I'd honestly leave it as it is. +5s/day is actually not that bad for a 2824.

Xky

Known Member
13/9/19
This video might help you out. The guy explains really well how to adjust the time within the the movement, and how the timegrapher works. One of my top Youtube watch videos to watch about about watches.

https://youtu.be/hsOR8GzmCzw

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
Okay, so the screw was tight but managed to turn it. A few adjustments and now running at +/-0 for 48 hours.

Reactions: Rx4Time

riderocket

18/9/18
The regulator arm is also inaccessible. You can't see it in this image, but it's right up under the framework. Is it normal for it to be covered like this? Makes it tricky for a new like me, considering the micro-adjustment screw won't budge.

That's completely normal. You have to take the automatic works off in order to be able to freely regulate and correct for beat error.

SS72

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
27/9/12
Australia
This arrived on the weekend. So, I thought I'd see how the SD43 / A2824 combo is travelling, seeing as it gets 99 per cent of my wrist time. And it looks like it's coping well.

Movement stats today. Watch was dial up, as opposed to being on a slight angle below.

ZoBN9v.jpg

Movement stats mid-May this year, according to the QC pic I received.

ZoBRs1.jpg

I played around a bit by throwing the beat rate out to 2+ ms and regulation out to 160+ secs p/day, and then brought it back inline with the first image. I learned more in that hour than I have in all the reading and research. I wish I'd bought a Timegrapher years ago!

The interesting thing is that the amplitude is 20-25 degrees greater with the case base on. The stats in the first image are with it removed.

This watch is a beauty!

4dr4i.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ex-ki