• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

A2824 Stuck Reversing Wheel - Can I fix this myself?

squid9

Looking Around
16/7/18
Hey guys,

I have a Tudor Black Bay rep with an A2824 movement that's less than a year old. I've barely worn the watch, but when I put it on today and wound it to get the movement started I felt the entire rotor spin. The watch was shaking and very difficult to wind.

A bit of research points to the reversing wheel being stuck. The posters on WUS said it's likely that a cleaning is all that's needed to fix the issue unless there's damage to the parts themselves.

My question for you all is whether this is simple enough for me to fix myself, or if I need professional help. I'm mechanically inclined but don't have any real experience repairing mechanical watches. I don't know any watch makers that service reps, so it its relatively easy to fix I'd be interested in trying myself.

Thanks!

sickopsycho

15/6/19
NC, USA
I'm actually in the process of this repair myself. I can tell you this- you'll need a set of very fine screwdrivers, and you'll probably want a jewelers loupe. You'll also need a case back opener. I didn;t attempt to "unstick" the reversing wheels, because it cost less than $20 for an offical ETA pair (reversing and aux reversing). There are about 5 steps involved in replacing, and there is a great thread about it by tickleshoes here on RWI.
https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...sy-fix-for-automatic-winding-issues-2824-2836

It's not particularly hard to do, however it is easy to mess up. The parts are tiny and very delicate. The good thing is that, if you mess it up, a replacement movement is very inexpensive. You can simply replace the whle movement, moving the dial and hands over. You can honestly buy 2 movements and get 2 shots at it for cheaper than a watchsmith would charge for the one repair. Regarding disassembling and cleaning/oiling the entire watch... I'd try it first on a movement you do not indent to keep. It's a pretty invovled process... but a very fun one.